10+ Year Old Account

Media hoarding problems.

I have a fair bit of movies/tv shows, in the 5TB range. I need to slim this down, but I can't seem to get myself to delete some of it. My main concern is things that are harder to find, and not on Netflix. My other concern is, even if stuff IS on netflix... how long will it be there? I'm afraid some old show that I miss will disappear from the internet (it has happened before).
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So what exactly is the discussion to be had? Are you asking for advice on how to best keep it?

I have a friend who has a crap load of videos and such and you know how he stores them? E-HDDs. I think he has ~5 atm.

If you want to know what my future is going to bring me, as a gaming video maker and thus high-data usage:

My two SATA 6 ports will at one point have SSDs connected, not just one. Hoping to get that Crucial m500 1TB SSD that's coming. $600 will make it a steal!
    My four SATA 3 ports will all have at least 1TB HDDs, if not larger. 3-3.5TB would be nice. Do the math. 12-14TB. >
    Then I have 2xMarvell SATA 6 ports that are supposed to not be that great, but if it comes to it, I'll use them too.

Then you still have PCI/PCI-E SATA RAID cards you can install for even more HDDs, but at this point, you have to make sure you have a case that can hold so many HDDs!

I also already have a USB 3.0 500GB E-HDD. :P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess I'm just looking for suggestions on what path to take. I just upgraded from a 2TB to a 3TB, but am still running out of space simply because I was attempting to merge my own media collection with my girlfriends (Who has another 2-3TB of her own).

I guess people don't really know what Netflix will do in the next 20 years. I'd just hate to delete something because it's on Netflix.. only to find it isn't available later.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    WD green 3Tb get 4 orso and never worry again? (NAS perhaps?)

10+ Year Old Account
    Aye, get a few 3tb drives. I have 15tb of movies...it's pretty rediculous, but i accommodate space for it.

Deleted
    Buy another Hard Drive.
    Currently I have 2x2tb Hard Drives, one for TV shows, one for Movies.
    I know for a fact that in the next 2 or 3 months I will have to buy another Hard drive. which will take me above the 6tb mark, I might just buy 2 of them at the same time so I dont have to worry about having a drive with both TV and Movies on.

If you're worried about things disappearing from you and are afraid of deleting it (why should you delete it?), get external storage drives and place all the stuff you don't actively use, but might want some day. Plenty of room there
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    ...because being black means you can't be racist only prejudice.
    ...black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed.
    Did you just compare slavery to the holocaust? Don't compare them. The holocaust lasted 4 years while slavery lasted for well over 200 years at least in the US FYI

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    WD green 3Tb get 4 orso and never worry again? (NAS perhaps?)
    Thread got me interested in pricing up a NAS Storage unit.
    a 4 Bay one will cost about £200-£250 UK

For this I could easily build a very cheap PC which would be able to support 6+ drives as standard for a similar amount.
    add in External Drives and Extender Cards and you could double that with ease for a little more.
    Would not take much to add a version of windows and turn it into a fully fledged file server, Just need to Cable it up set up the shares and hide it away out of sight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    Thread got me interested in pricing up a NAS Storage unit.
    a 4 Bay one will cost about £200-£250 UK

For this I could easily build a very cheap PC which would be able to support 6+ drives as standard for a similar amount.
    add in External Drives and Extender Cards and you could double that with ease for a little more.
    Would not take much to add a version of windows and turn it into a fully fledged file server, Just need to Cable it up set up the shares and hide it away out of sight.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...eId=1&name=4TB

4TB Externals. One per free USB port.

Plus all the NAS drives and internal HDDs. >
    "A flower.

Buy a NAS or make one on your own combined with a simple home server.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    So what exactly is the discussion to be had? Are you asking for advice on how to best keep it?

I have a friend who has a crap load of videos and such and you know how he stores them? E-HDDs. I think he has ~5 atm.

If you want to know what my future is going to bring me, as a gaming video maker and thus high-data usage:

My two SATA 6 ports will at one point have SSDs connected, not just one. Hoping to get that Crucial m500 1TB SSD that's coming. $600 will make it a steal!
    My four SATA 3 ports will all have at least 1TB HDDs, if not larger. 3-3.5TB would be nice. Do the math. 12-14TB. >
    Then I have 2xMarvell SATA 6 ports that are supposed to not be that great, but if it comes to it, I'll use them too.

Then you still have PCI/PCI-E SATA RAID cards you can install for even more HDDs, but at this point, you have to make sure you have a case that can hold so many HDDs!

I also already have a USB 3.0 500GB E-HDD. :P
    Damn that's a lot of space haha! When you say gaming video maker do you mean like montages etc. or designing and building your own game?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    Damn that's a lot of space haha! When you say gaming video maker do you mean like montages etc. or designing and building your own game?
    Nah just montages/footage of games, think OMFGCata (Jesse Cox) or WoWcrendor's playthrough of WoW. Have not been doing as much lately, but still.

At the moment, my setup includes a 128GB Crucial m4 SSD, 600GB WD Caviar Blue which is what I use for Fraps recording, 1TB Seagate Barracuda (just kinda sitting there atm, needs to be RMA'd due to being faulty), and 1.5TB WD Caviar Green.

Need... moar...
    "A flower.