Deleted

So annoyed right now

Ok, so I purchased a new computer about 2 weeks ago due to my old one becoming out-dated, and constantly crashing on me for no apparent reason. However, this new computer i've bought is doing exactly the same thing. All parts of this new computer (minus the network card) are brand new, so I can't think why this is happening. Crashes occur more commonly on games, but they do also occur when doing simple thing's like browsing the web. I considered the possibility of it over heating, but when I checked the temperature, the CPU was running at 37oc. The computer is connected to a Power surge which is about 2-3 years old (http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=20875) And the specs for the new computer are as follows:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130104-1431)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
    System Model: System Product Name
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 11/09/12 10:45:37 Ver: 15.02
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 8142MB RAM
    Page File: 2469MB used, 13812MB available

And the graphics card:
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

The computer will freeze, The mouse and keyboard stop working, and the screen just stays constant in what ever I was doing at the time of the crash (eg: my monitor becomes more like a giant picture frame) Whats more, there is a loud buzzing sound that emits from my speakers that stays constant. Some times these crashes are seconds long, other times it could take 10 minutes to re-establish it's self and sometimes (as in today's instance) it won't work at all. It's worth noting that I have tried unplugging things from the back of the desktop while it's mid-way through a crash to see if it'll fix but no luck there either. It's been crashing since the first day I got it.

I'm running at 1900x1200. If there is any other required information let me know, and i'll get it for you.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by mmoc46ab0bd3b5; 2013-03-05 at 05:34 PM. Reason: How the pc crashes

How exactly does it crash?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

What size power supply do you have? It could be that you don't have a enough juice to run your card.

Check your memory timings, make sure they're set right in the BIOS. Crack open the case and make sure the vid card and RAM is seated correctly too.

Deleted
    Good question. The computer will freeze, The mouse and keyboard stop working, and the screen just stays constant in what ever I was doing at the time of the crash (eg: my monitor becomes more like a giant picture frame) Whats more, there is a loud buzzing sound that emits from my speakers that stays constant. Some times these crashes are seconds long, other times it could take 10 minutes to re-establish it's self and sometimes (as in today's instance) it won't work at all. It's worth noting that I have tried unplugging things from the back of the desktop while it's mid-way through a crash to see if it'll fix but no luck there either. It's been crashing since the first day I got it.

You should take a look at the Event log viewer in windows for more information.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

There was a Windows Graphics card update to the Nvidia drivers a week or 2 ago that had an update to DirectX 11 which has been causing a lot of issues, try setting back to DirectX 9 it should fix the issues.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuel View Post
    Good question. The computer will freeze, The mouse and keyboard stop working, and the screen just stays constant in what ever I was doing at the time of the crash (eg: my monitor becomes more like a giant picture frame) Whats more, there is a loud buzzing sound that emits from my speakers that stays constant. Some times these crashes are seconds long, other times it could take 10 minutes to re-establish it's self and sometimes (as in today's instance) it won't work at all. It's worth noting that I have tried unplugging things from the back of the desktop while it's mid-way through a crash to see if it'll fix but no luck there either. It's been crashing since the first day I got it.

Maybe they sold you a computer with a defect/almost defect motherboard?

Deleted
    Thanks for the responses so far, I'm going to email back the guy who sold me the computer addressing this problem. My power supply (I believe) is 750W, i'm unsure how to confirm that but from memory it's probably 750. I've had a look in Event Viewer but don't quite know what i'm looking for or how to go about it.

There was a Windows Graphics card update to the Nvidia drivers a week or 2 ago that had an update to DirectX 11 which has been causing a lot of issues, try setting back to DirectX 9 it should fix the issues.
    Thanks, i'll try updating

Quote Originally Posted by Kuel View Post
    The computer will freeze, The mouse and keyboard stop working, and the screen just stays constant in what ever I was doing at the time of the crash (eg: my monitor becomes more like a giant picture frame) Whats more, there is a loud buzzing sound that emits from my speakers that stays constant.
    Sounds like the HDD.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Deleted
    Hey, thats a well known problem.

I have the same problem for months now.

Crashes are random. Playing Games, Idling on Desktop, watching Streams.

The Computer "locks up", no bluescreen, no other thing, Event log cant say anything since the PC locks up and the short time memory gets lost, like the PC forgets the last 20 minutes before the lockup.

The only thing that appears is a strange buzzing sound from my speakers if a sound was played in the second the lockup happens(like music).

I goggled for days and found SHITTONS of thread in all possible PC forums, and never was a solution found.

They switched the HDD, switched the RAM, checked the Volt settings in BIOS, got new power adapter, new peripherals(mouse 'n shit). They also tried new Drivers for the graphic cards. Crash appears on both nvidia and AMD cards. Also no overheat.
    They tried to overlock it, then underlock the CPU and GPU a little bit under normal.

Nothing Worked.

Sometimes 30 pages long threads and they tried absolutely everything imaginable but nothing fixed it yet.
    I also tried to not use Flash, i switched browsers, i tried in secured mode, just everything.

Well i guess you have to live with it, it can happens that the crash occur 10 times a day and then nothing for 2 Months.

Deleted
    I had the screen locking issue with the loud "BZZZZT" sound coming out the headset, turns out it was a HDD failing for me.

Do you hear any clicking sounds coming from your computer at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Spraytwist View Post
    Hey, thats a well known problem.

I have the same problem for months now.

Crashes are random. Playing Games, Idling on Desktop, watching Streams.

The Computer "locks up", no bluescreen, no other thing, Event log cant say anything since the PC locks up and the short time memory gets lost, like the PC forgets the last 20 minutes before the lockup.

The only thing that appears is a strange buzzing sound from my speakers if a sound was played in the second the lockup happens(like music).

I goggled for days and found SHITTONS of thread in all possible PC forums, and never was a solution found.

They switched the HDD, switched the RAM, checked the Volt settings in BIOS, got new power adapter, new peripherals(mouse 'n shit). They also tried new Drivers for the graphic cards. Crash appears on both nvidia and AMD cards. Also no overheat.
    They tried to overlock it, then underlock the CPU and GPU a little bit under normal.

Nothing Worked.

Sometimes 30 pages long threads and they tried absolutely everything imaginable but nothing fixed it yet.
    I also tried to not use Flash, i switched browsers, i tried in secured mode, just everything.

Well i guess you have to live with it, it can happens that the crash occur 10 times a day and then nothing for 2 Months.
    If this issue is same as OP, Motherboard HAS TO BE the issue, no other possibility

Deleted
    Well, OP should post what Motherboard he has.

and @ Blimey, no its not an headcrash or something else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get MSI afterburner. Clock your 660TI down about 15mhz. Set your fan to max speed. I assume you are using a SOC factory version of the card? It's been clocked too high at the factory - try it - I had a card with a similar problem. If it's a Gigabyte card, you're getting even warmer!

Oh yeah - it could be something else, but this is what I've seen on 560ti SOC and 660ti SOC cards.

Also, make sure your case has sufficient airflow around it (ie not in a cupboard) and that their is sufficient airflow in the case.

Oh... and that GPU 15mhz downclock is negligible - you won't notice it.

If you've overclocked a SOC card, there you go - that's your problem more than likely.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2013-03-06 at 06:02 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spraytwist View Post
    Well, OP should post what Motherboard he has.

and @ Blimey, no its not an headcrash or something else.
    Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard like I said, brand new

Quote Originally Posted by theWocky
    -snip-
    I'll have a try with that, thanks a lot!

Do a RAM test and some sort of burn-in test. What you describe sounds like a hardware failure related to the CPU/RAM/mainboard.