Help with my tanking.

I just started playing Rift, and have just gotten my warrior tank to level 60. I still have mostly green DPS gear but I didn't think normals would be that hard to tank. I did tank a bit leveling up and was able to complete most of the dungeons.

However, I just got into Archive of Flesh and the healer (A Chloro) wasn't able to keep me up at all. He was telling me that he has never had to heal that much before and that I was taking way more damage than I should.

I am playing a 58 Pally / 18 VK / 0 WL tank. I am keeping all my buffs up to the best of my abilities. But I still had to blow almost every cooldown when they came up again just to stay alive for the pulls that we did kill.

My stats are 29k HP, 48k armor, 25% block, 5% ish on parry and dodge, 75 Toughness, 190 hit.

Should I just get better gear, or should I use a different spec? I am really kinda turned off from doing randoms if they are going to be difficult for pugs to complete without people dropping every other pull.

I think your toughness is what is really killing you. I don't know much about SL dungeons, but I think 75 toughness might be low for the level 60 experts (if that was what you were running). I think 50 was what was required for the original expert dungeons, with 100 for the first tier of raids back then. Unless I am remembering hit values, which I don't think was much different than toughness values.

Of course, in 1 week, I believe you could purchase the gear that will give you the toughness needed. But, I will let someone with more knowledge on the level 60 stuff give you a better answer.

It's the curve from tanking leveling dungeons to max level dungeons. Once you get toughness it'll get easier. Try and get the crafting ones to help start.

I did mention this in the original post, but this is for normals. I can't que for Experts till I get the gear.

Edit: Should I spend Infinity Stones on gear or save them for the epic planar essences.

And on that note where can I get some Greater Planar Essences? They only come from rifts?
    Last edited by Eldar45; 2013-06-05 at 05:42 PM.

Warlord is not an actual tanking soul. That's the first bit.

Secondly, it's just a gear issue really. All three tanking souls for Warrior are pretty much equal.

Third. That toughness is terrible.

Going to assume you are telling the truth. That you are keeping up your Aggressive Block, using the right absorption shields when necessary, keeping Raving Strike/Pacification up, etc.

If you feel you are right on the line in terms of survival, make sure you are doing the "extra" things to stay alive. Like using endurance enchants and potions effectively. OR having a decent focus machine w/ proper End seal, etc. Consumables can take the edge off considerably in tight situations. If you are rolling them smartly.

This is how tanking goes in Rift:
    1. Cap toughness for the content you want to run.
    2. Max out endurance.
    3. Max out Hit for the content you want to run.
    4. Max out resistances.
    5. Max out mitigation for your class; block or deflect.

That's my priority list from Rift chocolate to present. I have tanked everything in the game currently.

Also, if you hover over the stats on the char screen you can see the exact requirements for dungeons and raids w/r/t Tough & Hit.

As such:

With 75 toughness, you are trying to play above your actual limit.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-06-05 at 06:10 PM.