Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Sex Change Policy Being Considered By Yale

http://www.inquisitr.com/549696/sex-...dered-by-yale/

Yale students that want sex change operations could soon be covered by their student health plans.

The Ivy League school is considering adding gender reassignment surgery to its student plan, following in the footsteps of Brown, Penn, Harvard, and Cornell universities.

Yale is still reviewing policies related to the procedure for its 11,848 students, but gender reassignment surgery coverage has already been added to health plans that cover the school’s faculty.

Karen Peart, Yale spokeswoman, told FOX News, “The benefit is offered to faculty and staff, and is being considered for students … Cost would vary depending on treatment.”

Dr. Paul Genecin, director of University Health Services, told the Yale Daily News that an “increasing interest” in covering the surgery among Ivy League schools has had a “small number” of students at Yale express interest.

Michelle Morgan, a student graduating in 2015, made a request on behalf of her female-to-male transgender partner.

She said that it was unfair that Yale wasn’t offering the coverage to students, adding further that the existing policy only is only extended to married couples.

“Yale’s slowness on this issue is a problem from the perspective of history … When history looks back on gender-confirming surgeries and coverage, Yale should strive to be on the cutting edge and not defensive side of that history,” Morgan said.

Maria Trumpler, LGBTQ Resource Center Director, said that she has been trying to get the sex change coverage added for six years, adding that it’s something that both school policy and student lives depend on.

“It is a medical necessity, that has been Yale’s position, so the medical necessity … and creating a campus in which trans people are fully included and live up to our nondiscrimination policy,” Trumpler said.

According to the American Medical Association, gender identity disorder is a serious medical condition that can be characterized by a persistent discomfort with one’s sexual identity. Those affected could suffer severe depression and even be at risk of suicide.

The Human Rights Campaign, a gay rights advocacy group, said that nearly 25 percent of Fortune 100 companies now include sex change operations on their insurance plans.

You should be entitled to surgery for non-life threatening issues as part of your insurance?

Let's start covering peoples breast implants while we're at it. And not just for transsexuals. Free Boob jobs for every woman that wants one!

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't say I've ever really priced one out, but aren't these operations quite expensive? Seems like Yale has more money than sense.

And I have to agree with you, OP. If you can get a free sex change, you should be able to get whatever cosmetic surgery you want for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Seems like Yale has more money than sense.
    What? No way......

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Can't say I've ever really priced one out, but aren't these operations quite expensive? Seems like Yale has more money than sense.

And I have to agree with you, OP. If you can get a free sex change, you should be able to get whatever cosmetic surgery you want for free.
    a sex change is a little more important than getting your boobs done to be more of a slut. however, i could see dental cosmetics or something being ok to add too. living with bad teeth isn't something i'd wish on anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcstunner View Post
    a sex change is a little more important than getting your boobs done to be more of a slut. however, i could see dental cosmetics or something being ok to add too. living with bad teeth isn't something i'd wish on anyone.
    Who are you to judge what one needs for their mental health and well-being? Maybe she needs bigger breasts for her confidence. What gives you the right to call her a slut but not call names to the transsexual who gets a sex change? Neither are needed for their immediate physical survival.

Someone has so much free time at Yale to be waging a campaign for school health insurance to pick up her surgery?

Four years at a $60,000 a year Ivy League University with a 4% acceptance rate, and that's how you're spending your time?

Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    Someone has so much free time at Yale to be waging a campaign for school health insurance to pick up her surgery?

Four years at a $60,000 a year Ivy League University with a 4% acceptance rate, and that's how you're spending your time?
    Yes, it's such a waste of time for someone to be campaigning that their insurance actually cover procedures which are important for mental health.

It's horrible that people want to actually get service out of what they pay for!

Deleted
    In before political correctness-folks come and tell us how trans people cannot live without a $50k gender reassignment surgery.

The US insurance system is so fucking ridiculous. You don't insure yourself against being trans. Either you are trans or you're not, it's not something that will emerge randomly in your adulthood. Insurance is about protecting you from risk, otherwise you could just as well pay out of pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamless View Post
    Yes, it's such a waste of time for someone to be campaigning that their insurance actually cover procedures which are important for mental health.

It's horrible that people want to actually get service out of what they pay for!
    Exactly! And for the mental health of any woman that needs it, breast augmentation should be covered too!

And buttocks implants!

Collagen injections as well.

And nose jobs.

Face lifts.

Tummy tucks.

You can never be too generous when it comes to mental health.

What a farce. Maybe I can campaign for my current university to pay for a few sessions of liposuction, would sure as hell save me a lot of upcoming walking and they have all that money just laying around after all.

Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Exactly! And for the mental health of any woman that needs it, breast augmentation should be covered too!

And buttocks implants!

Collagen injections as well.

And nose jobs.

Face lifts.

Tummy tucks.

You can never be too generous when it comes to mental health.
    Ahh, ye olde slippery slope fallacy coupled with a failed attempt at reductio ad absurdum.

Might want to actually do a little research in to what transgendered people go through before equating their surgery to cosmetic surgery; it'll stop you looking like a complete fool.

I think its fantastic and a step forward for Yale and America in general.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Ahh, ye olde slippery slope fallacy coupled with a failed attempt at reductio ad absurdum.

Might want to actually do a little research in to what transgendered people go through before equating their surgery to cosmetic surgery; it'll stop you looking like a complete fool.
    Yes, woe is them indeed. Why should the university pay money for it? Money that might otherwise be used for, I don't know, education in an educational facility.

15+ Year Old Account
    My comment on this is...why should school cover something the student want done to their body? If you aren't happy with your body shouldn't you pay the price to change it? I don't even understand what their thought was when the first school added it to the health plan? I can see negative impact from having the surgery being placed on the health plan, but not the actual surgery itself.

I suspect many people are not really aware of how UNLIKE a sex change operation is to simple cosmetic surgery. For the people who have it, it is absolutely vital. Suicides among transgendered people who are unable to afford a sex change operation are incredibly high. This is not about 'being happy with your body,' this isn't about 'guys who want boobs.'

Sorry it seems extremely undignified and pointless. Hey look, I support every LGBTQ right in the book. But seriously. Your college years are limited. It's a time of immense opprotunity, especially at that school but you can only be there for so long.

This seems like a distraction. Every hour spent on it is an hour not spent forming a relationship with a mentor and building a career. That's why you to College. To engage in higher education and build the foundation of your career (unless you waste your time and don't do that). This is... like... take another major and make yourself more marketable. Employers won't care if you got Yale to change it's insurance policy.

I don't understand it. But then again, $60,000 a year looks less expensive than it actually is while you're in school and funding it with loans and grants. Then you graduate and, like me, realize, $60,000 a year was actually a fuckton.

Psychological studies have also shown the negative health effects of lack of sex on men.

So let's pay for hookers for single, chronically sexless men.

Their mental health warrants it!

Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    Yes, woe is them indeed. Why should the university pay money for it? Money that might otherwise be used for, I don't know, education in an educational facility.
    And veering wildly in to red herring with a hint of false dilemma. Nice.

Health insurance exists in order to safeguard the health of people. Buying in to health insurance is done in order to be protected.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    I suspect many people are not really aware of how UNLIKE a sex change operation is to simple cosmetic surgery. For the people who have it, it is absolutely vital. Suicides among transgendered people who are unable to afford a sex change operation are incredibly high. This is not about 'being happy with your body,' this isn't about 'guys who want boobs.'
    I'm sure suicides among people who are born with cosmetic disfigurations is higher than the average as well. So what?

Though I must say that you shouldn't necessarily compare gender reassignment surgery with surgeries related to obesity, because they're two very different things. Obesity is usually self-inflicted and the involved medical procudures help your physical health (and mental), while being trans is involuntary and related surgeries mainly help mental health.

They're sort of different.

Deleted
    Health insurance exists in order to safeguard the health of people. Buying in to health insurance is done in order to be protected.
    No. Health insurance exists to protect you from the risk of high, unforseeable medical expenses.

If you as a trans have the option to take a health insurance that covers your gender reassignment surgery, you're fucking everyone else over. There's no risk involved, because there's no risk that you're trans, it's 100%.

Insurance covering gender reassignment surgery only makes sense from the perspective of society if it is taken when young, before you can determine that you're trans.