Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Just finished....have problems

I just finished putting all components into the case after having done a dry run in which I finally got it working(ram was loose, causing a memory error, started 3 times after reseating ram and had no issue) then I install everything, hook all cables up...and it starts again. The DRAM light comes on very briefly(maybe a second) the computer makes all the sounds of whirring up, but then stops and goes to idle, no boot or anything. The fans remain running during this time.

MOBO : ASUS P8Z77 -V LK
    RAM : Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 2x4GB
    i5 3570k
    XFX 550W PSU
    Sapphire 7870 XT w boost

let me know if you need any more info

10+ Year Old Account
    1) Did you use the brass risers under the motherboard?
    2) Do you have the 4 pin (not the 24 pin) power plugged in?
    3) Have you tried using only one ram stick at a time?
    4) Does the 7870XT have both power plugs plugged in?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    1) Did you use the brass risers under the motherboard?
    2) Do you have the 4 pin (not the 24 pin) power plugged in?
    3) Have you tried using only one ram stick at a time?
    4) Does the 7870XT have both power plugs plugged in?
    I'm definitely a fan of #3 for this one. Same board just did a build for a friend and one of his RAM sticks was no good.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well after tinkering around I discovered it has something to do with my GFX card. When setting up i was just going to use onboard video, should suffice. However it seems if I had my GFX card plugged in, but not being activated it was causing the crash....as soon as I hooked up a connector to this old monitor that was the same as on my card...it worked...the resolution was absolutely terrible for bios...infact large areas seemed missing(couldnt select a boot sector?

anyhoo....any reason why it wasnt working with onboard graphics, but when switched over it did work? Im glad its working, but I want to understand wtf was going on lol

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm confused.

Are you saying that when you have your video card plugged in.. But the monitor was plugged into the motherboard... it didn't work? that's normal. Your mother board should NOT be used once card is in.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah that's what I was saying, and okay my bad, sort of assumed both would work(and since I was doing part removal/reseating) it was more convenient to try onboard graphics.

Thanks for the enlightenment Feel pretty nubbish to be honest

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually think it might work, but by default I believe the board will disable the onboard, and you have to change it in bios to do both.

10+ Year Old Account
    And people tell me building your own comp from scratch is cake.... This is why I buy pre-builds.. I do NOT trust my abilities.
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duravian View Post
    And people tell me building your own comp from scratch is cake.... This is why I buy pre-builds.. I do NOT trust my abilities.
    neither did I until i built it, still updating and not wholly sure i will get it all done tonight, but now the only question I have is whether I applied thermal paste well/well enough. I probably wont get to stress testing until after work tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Duravian View Post
    He's made a mistake which I've also made and, although it may have slowed him up a bit, there's no permanent damage. He's still getting at least 150% more for his money, assuming a minimal markup for a pre-built.

Hell, if you're really confident you'd mess it up, pay a friend to build it. Buy him a 6 pack or something while he's doing it.

Pre-builds are such garbage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I actually think it might work, but by default I believe the board will disable the onboard, and you have to change it in bios to do both.
    I'm confident that the integrated GPU should work even with the discrete card plugged in when you're building from fresh. Well it was true with my most recent build, which I would like to say was not a happy experience. For anyone in the market for a Corsair 300r do not use it with a micro-ATX motherboard or atleast a Gigabyte B75 D3H one. The preinstalled motherboard standoffs will secure mainly the left hand side of the motherboard leaving the bottom right hand side loose and unsecure. I also recommend a PSU with lengthy cables when building with the Corsair 300r.

In short, Corsair 300r coupled with a full sized ATX board and a PSU with lengthy cables is recommended.

Anyway, good luck with the rest of your build. It's always a shame when a new and first build does not go to plan.