Thread: Gearing Prot

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Gearing Prot

Ok so i've recently started to play again and changing from a monk to a prot paladin, I've read through how to gear etc and the changes in 5.2 and I know they keep changing it...

So what do people think about how I should gear? It'll be for 10 mans so my understanding is that stamina/ mastery isn't too great and that haste is currently king, but well their meant to be changing that but can't seem to work out wether mastery will be worth it for 10 man or haste will still be the better one for 10 man?

This will obviously impact my gearing choices quite a bit which is why im not too sure with the direction I should go in? and what to roll in LFR etc

Any advice?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Deleted
    I don't see how these would help, yes the guide says it but i've been reading thecks math and the discussions and neither say what they think will be best for 10 man in 5.2 which is why im posting how people think i should gear towards as im a new paladin gearing up

would the mastery be wasted on 10 man? in the way its not needed

Or if i gear towards haste will i get stomped on after 5.2?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurhlag View Post
    I don't see how these would help, yes the guide says it but i've been reading thecks math and the discussions and neither say what they think will be best for 10 man in 5.2 which is why im posting how people think i should gear towards as im a new paladin gearing up

would the mastery be wasted on 10 man? in the way its not needed

Or if i gear towards haste will i get stomped on after 5.2?
    The reason they are not stating what will be the best gearing strategy for 5.2 is because it really won't change. Haste is somewhat preferable for 10-man because tank DPS matters more in 10-man while the defensive benefits between a haste or a mastery build are very alike. They both smooth out damage roughly to the same degree but with haste granting you more DPS and constant self healing.

If you go with mastery the "rotation" (still an awful word) is a bit more forgiving because you will mitigate more damage passively so to speak. Go with what you prefer, but remember protadins can dish out some serious DPS with high haste which can be useful on more than a handful encounters.

Deleted
    Mastery is never really wasted and as far as I know the haste "nerf" we have in 5.2 is ridiculously minor and won't really have much or any effect on how we gear. The reason theck doesn't give a definitive answer is because i dont think there is one, you choose to stack mastery or haste depending on what playstyle you prefer

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilkie View Post
    Mastery is never really wasted and as far as I know the haste "nerf" we have in 5.2 is ridiculously minor and won't really have much or any effect on how we gear. The reason theck doesn't give a definitive answer is because i dont think there is one, you choose to stack mastery or haste depending on what playstyle you prefer
    Ok cheers haste seems to be pretty fun so might give that a go

I decided to go Prot for 5.2 as well, and from what I read...Hit Cap > Expertise Cap > Mastery > Haste. Is that wrong?

I didn't see any major 5.2 changes that would affect that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by paulleedot View Post
    I decided to go Prot for 5.2 as well, and from what I read...Hit Cap > Expertise Cap > Mastery > Haste. Is that wrong?

I didn't see any major 5.2 changes that would affect that.
    Well theres two ways to gear, haste does more dps but takes a bit more damage where as mastery has worse dps but you take less damage.

In 10 man damage never seems to be that huge of a problem so the added dps will probs be better but as the guy said its preference

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Choice View Post
    10 man damage feels really low this tier, don't see a reason to not go haste, my 475 alt paladin has done plenty of hms on 10 man as required and never had a single issue.
    True, tankdamage is lower, though keep in mind you have way less external cooldowns to ask for. Especially with fights like Protectors and Windlord HC tank damage matters a lot. I've yet to struggle with a control/haste built, but might go mastery for sha this week.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Below are the two most popular gearing strats.

Hit 7.5% > Exp 15% > Haste > Mastery > Parry > Dodge

Hit 7.5% > Exp 15% > Mastery > Haste > Parry > Dodge

Personally I tank 10H and I prefer the haste build.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've read through how to gear etc and the changes in 5.2 and I know they keep changing it...
    No they don't... Not sure what you've been reading. The only change we even got was that Grand Crusader can now proc off dodge and parry but it was ascertained very, very quickly that it will have no impact on the stat priority.

Same as before.

Hit cap > exp cap > Haste > Mastery
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

i have read it too they will change it to make tanks care about gear with Parry and Dodge coz the dpser told blizz thats the tanks take the dps gear ( gear with Haste )

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Minaa View Post
    i have read it too they will change it to make tanks care about gear with Parry and Dodge coz the dpser told blizz thats the tanks take the dps gear ( gear with Haste )
    That's what happens when second-hand information gets spread around. It gets jumbled and confused.

Blizzard wanted to make dodge and parry better--they specifically said they didn't want to nerf haste. Thus, we ended up with the Grand Crusader change, which does exactly that. Dodge and parry are a little better than before and haste is still one of the top stats.

Personally I gear for hit/expertise/haste and gem stamina/mastery. Dodge and Parry are good to have in moderate amounts but I try to look for gear that has one of the "big four" on it in addition to Dodge or Parry for the other secondary stat. Items like the Chest piece from Spirit Kings are ideal. Personally I don't sweat 15% Expertise - it's a killer on your item budget when you're gearing up - until pretty late in the raiding game (at least as far as the current tier goes). 7.5% hit / 7.5% expertise is sufficient until you're moving into HoF.

A lot of it boils down to playstyle and how you use the spec. My cotank and I are nearly identically geared (and we both follow the guidelines I outlined above), but she's nearly indestructible while I regularly pull 15-20% more DPS than she does. Admittedly my talent/playstyle is less valuable than hers in the current era of threat management only mattering in the first 5-10s of a pull, but it still boils down to a playstyle difference, and we've both improved our tanking game by learning from each other and comparing how we do things differently. One thing I love about the current Protection Paladin tanking paradigm is that there is so much room for those differences to exist, even given very similar gearing/gemming/enchanting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Minaa View Post
    Then tell us these sources so that we can quash them because no source saying that on this website or EJ will get more than a few posts before someone tells them that they are wrong.

Honestly the way to stop spread of misinformation is to instead of saying "I've read from over yonder" say "on this website <www.lalalalala.com> they say that this is the case but you lot say otherwise, is this the truth?"
    Last edited by MerinPally; 2013-02-27 at 09:59 PM.
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    That's what happens when second-hand information gets spread around. It gets jumbled and confused.

Blizzard wanted to make dodge and parry better--they specifically said they didn't want to nerf haste. Thus, we ended up with the Grand Crusader change, which does exactly that. Dodge and parry are a little better than before and haste is still one of the top stats.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    Then tell us these sources so that we can quash them because no source saying that on this website or EJ will get more than a few posts before someone tells them that they are wrong.

Honestly the way to stop spread of misinformation is to instead of saying "I've read from over yonder" say "on this website <www.lalalalala.com> they say that this is the case but you lot say otherwise, is this the truth?"
    Sorry but I got into paladin tanking recently so I read through everything there was, and my views on it 'changing' aren't in valid and neither is the guy saying that they wanted to make dodge and parry more valuable to paladins because they did do that...

They changed it so GC proc only worked from dodge/ parry which meant the value of haste dropped, they then went and changed it again so that it procs off both defensive stats (dodge/ parry) and Melee spells ( CS/ HotR) which Thek talked about here as well as it including the blue posts if you want them.

I understand you will know about this but this was where I and I assume the other guy was coming from so don't really know why you jumped down our throats for a change they actually made to the stat weights.

Deleted
    GC will still proc off CS/HoTR but it's only 12% as opposed to 20%. The change was made because of mass whining about it ruining the paladin rotation. As a result the impact to haste and mastery values is abysmal and dodge/parry are simply more desirable than they were to active mit builds. As of right now dodge/parry is considered valueless and a waste of an item slot by some.
    Yeah I know I was just making a point. My understanding is that if haste is on the gear you reforge say crit into mastery?

Also for 10 man are two haste/ dps trinkets viable or is it a bit over the top? Would I need one mastery/ dps trinket?

10+ Year Old Account
    They changed it so GC proc only worked from dodge/ parry which meant the value of haste dropped, they then went and changed it again so that it procs off both defensive stats (dodge/ parry) and Melee spells ( CS/ HotR)
    I don't think it dropped the value of haste - it dropped the relative value because it increased dodge and parry but it was discussed here and on other places, saying that whilst it made dodge and parry "less bad" it still wasn't enough to make them good enough to look at seriously.

I apologize if my post came across as offensive, that was definitely not the intention and really it wasn't an attempt to jump down your throat for not knowing something, it was simply to highlight how especially in MOP, due to how different we are now compared to before (and other tanks) this spreading of misinformation has to be reverted, so if you know the people who're arguing otherwise then (I at least) would be happy to discuss with them and sort it out, because having 2 conflicting sources just ends up in confusion - like this.

---------- Post added 2013-02-28 at 11:26 AM ----------

Yeah I know I was just making a point. My understanding is that if haste is on the gear you reforge say crit into mastery?

Also for 10 man are two haste/ dps trinkets viable or is it a bit over the top? Would I need one mastery/ dps trinket?
    First line - yeah, if you're hit and exp capped.

Second line - more than fine to have the 2 haste trinkets. You'll maybe want to keep a stamina trinket lurking for high spell damage fights but you should be ok other than that.

Deleted
    Sorry but I got into paladin tanking recently so I read through everything there was, and my views on it 'changing' aren't in valid and neither is the guy saying that they wanted to make dodge and parry more valuable to paladins because they did do that...

They changed it so GC proc only worked from dodge/ parry which meant the value of haste dropped, they then went and changed it again so that it procs off both defensive stats (dodge/ parry) and Melee spells ( CS/ HotR) which Thek talked about here as well as it including the blue posts if you want them.

I understand you will know about this but this was where I and I assume the other guy was coming from so don't really know why you jumped down our throats for a change they actually made to the stat weights.
    The thing is that we have been over and over this change on the forums in the last couple of weeks.

To say that the value of haste dropped is a far stretch, that implies that the value of haste was in the GC procs which it was far from. The original change would actually have increased the relative value of haste in comparison to the other stats for 10 man tanks. Overall, yes, it makes haste "less valuable" but that is like saying "I lost 1 hair on my head the other day, am I bold now?".

Same goes for dodge and parry, all the change did was make the dodge and parry currently on our gear less shitty. It is still by far the worst stat and in no way desirable.

The change did not really accomlish anything except giving us broken amount of procs on multi target tanking. But lets not tell blizzard this.

GC will still proc off CS/HoTR but it's only 12% as opposed to 20%. The change was made because of mass whining about it ruining the paladin rotation. As a result the impact to haste and mastery values is abysmal and dodge/parry are simply more desirable than they were to active mit builds. As of right now dodge/parry is considered valueless and a waste of an item slot by some.
    From a 10 man PoV I will still probably prefer crit over dodge and parry except maybe on animus or something.
    Will have to wait and see what the actual dps increase is for dodge and parry on multiple targets before making an accurate statement.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    From a 10 man PoV I will still probably prefer crit over dodge and parry except maybe on animus or something.
    Will have to wait and see what the actual dps increase is for dodge and parry on multiple targets before making an accurate statement.
    In it's first implementation (GC proccing from dodge/parry only) it was ridiculous tanking bats on Tortos as an example. Would spike up to 500k DPS with 40% of this being Avenger's Shields. I don't agree with crit being preferable over dodge and parry in the long run with the second implementation though. But that's nothing more than a hunch.