Deleted

Number of tanks needed in 5.2 per boss for 25 man raiding

As 25 man PTR has been up, I was hoping some of you have an idea about how many tanks are required/optimal per boss that has been tested.

So far I have spotted the following being used in PTR videos:
    council of elders: 3 tanks
    megaera: 2 tanks
    dark animus: 3 tanks, some use 2
    primordius: 2 tanks.

A fair few PTR streams I have missed, so if anyone can add to or correct above list, please do.

Main reason to want to know this is that we are still undecided on using 2 or 3 main tanks for 5.2.

Dark animus heroic: 4-8

Deleted
    As I had expected a bit quicker input to this (it could very well be that it's still unclear how much tanks will be optimal), is there any site better than youtube to try to search for 25 man ptr videos so I can try to find some 25 man ptr videos and check raidframes for raid composition?

10+ Year Old Account
    Jin'rokh: 2
    Horridon: 2, POSSIBLY 3.
    Council: 2
    Tortos: 2
    Meghara: 2
    Ji'kun: 2
    Durumu: 2
    Primordius: 2
    Dark Animus: 3+
    Iron Qon: 2
    Twins: 2
    Leishen: 2

tl;dr - almost every fight is 2tank
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    Blizzard offered cardboard cut outs with poster pictures of bosses stapled on them upside down and sideways and many players now feel that is raiding.
    Raxxykins

Deleted
    Man that Dark Animus fight looks like tank heaven...

Thanks guys, will be helpfull

Hey Rumbo btw :-)

First kills council will be better 3 man tanked , same for Horridon and Dark Animus.
    Last edited by Tivapanda; 2013-02-27 at 02:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say keep 2/3 (Obviously depends on your raiders attendance requirements) at maximum strength and prioritize one of your dps for an offspec.

I don't know how the Dark Animus fight is going to pan out on live but... for everything else that seems like a safe bet.

If that 3rd Tank really is superfluous, offer him or her a dps spec priority and keep giving them spare tank gear for the tricky fights.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    So that's tanks, now, what about healers? Something absurd like 3 or 8 in any of those?

10+ Year Old Account
    A blue post this week stated only 2 tanks will be required.
    Vexxd

LFG to push 15+ m+,
    maybe streaming @ http://www.twitch.tv/vexxee

Quote Originally Posted by xtramuscle View Post
    A blue post this week stated only 2 tanks will be required.
    Which doesn't say a damn thing about how many tanks you actually want for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesshou View Post
    Which doesn't say a damn thing about how many tanks you actually want for everything.
    Yeah it does. It means you don't need more than 2 tanks for any boss. Pretty f'n simple. If you use 3 your just making the fight harder on yourself DPS wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Khazzeron View Post
    Yeah it does. It means you don't need more than 2 tanks for any boss. Pretty f'n simple. If you use 3 your just making the fight harder on yourself DPS wise.
    Which is a problem if you are meeting enrage why? Oh wait, it isn't. Just because it is doable with 2 doesn't mean that is the easiest way. Its just like with healers. Taking an extra healer over a dps can quite often make the fight overall easier. This is even more true if all you are doing is normal modes because the dps checks were already a joke and blizzard has said they were actually too high and are making them lower, but even on heroics, the enrage isn't significantly important on every boss.

Hon, I don't think you quite understand what happens with bleeding-edge progression groups.

Just because the fights are "intended" or "designed" with a certain number of tanks, healers, and/or dps in mind does not in any way mean that a strategy using a different number will not result in the fight being easier to complete in some way at the lower-end of gear levels.

The very high-end guilds that will be pushing for a full normal clear this week and starting Heroics next week can pull the sort of dps numbers that can allow them to use multiple tanks to make mechanics and healing more manageable, for example, without any worry over soft or hard enrages.

However they've also stated (at least for normal modes) that the DPS requirements won't be as strict. Using 3 tanks would in that case make the tanks' jobs much less stressful overall.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reminds me of the whole deal where that guild had almost a full raid of Druids for the boss in the first tier of Cata (Sinestra?) due to the massive boost to Rip damage. The "required" amount of druids wasn't the huge amount they used, I would assume. Just because Blizzard says it requires two tanks, doesn't mean it's necessarily the best option for the first kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Reminds me of the whole deal where that guild had almost a full raid of Druids for the boss in the first tier of Cata (Sinestra?) due to the massive boost to Rip damage. The "required" amount of druids wasn't the huge amount they used, I would assume. Just because Blizzard says it requires two tanks, doesn't mean it's necessarily the best option for the first kill.
    It was Nefarian, I believe, and yes, exactly.

Deleted
    Heroic Grand Empress. 4 healers in 10man. A few did it with 5. and that made P3 trivial to say the least where you even ignored the whole "Heroic only" mechanic.

My point: It's not all about the dps on certain encounters. Dark animus on heroic favors 4 tanks+ because Vengeance stacking is just silly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    Hon, I don't think you quite understand what happens with bleeding-edge progression groups.

Just because the fights are "intended" or "designed" with a certain number of tanks, healers, and/or dps in mind does not in any way mean that a strategy using a different number will not result in the fight being easier to complete in some way at the lower-end of gear levels.

The very high-end guilds that will be pushing for a full normal clear this week and starting Heroics next week can pull the sort of dps numbers that can allow them to use multiple tanks to make mechanics and healing more manageable, for example, without any worry over soft or hard enrages.
    Only one normal clear? Maybe in 10man :P
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    Blizzard offered cardboard cut outs with poster pictures of bosses stapled on them upside down and sideways and many players now feel that is raiding.
    Raxxykins