Immigrants in America of 1900

I just saw a documentary I am not going to link because it's in Greek, that basically claimed that back in the 1900 Greeks (as well as Italians, Turks, Albanians and Southern, Eastern Europeans) were considered really low. The documentary says there were special seats in the theaters, the central seats for Americans and the top seats (dont know the english word) for the "others". It says that the Greek lifestyle provoked the locals that reacted. It says that statistics of the time revealed that most criminals, rapists etc were Greeks followed by Eastern or Southern Europeans. It mentions KKK (if i type it right), fights, riots. That the employers used Greeks as strike breakers, making them hated.

I don't know why I bring this up. I guess I am curious as if the documentary is legit. I am curious regarding racism back then, if it existed or not. I am impressed that Greeks top the criminality charts because there is a general consensus in Greece that Greek immigrants were legal and model citizens. Also Greece of 2013 apart from debts faces a huge problem with illegal immigrants, turning the locals against them. Again I don't really know what I am expecting from this thread.

Racism in the 1900s surprises you? Wasn't Martin Luther King alive in like the 50s lol?

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Racism in the 1900s surprises you? Wasn't Martin Luther King alive in like the 50s lol?
    well until the 70s

Deleted
    I think EVERY country was racist in the year 1900.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Martin Luther King was alive December 19, 1899 to November 11, 1984. However his son (Jr.) was alive January 15, 1929 to April 4, 1968.

AHEPA, an organization for Greek-Americans, was founded in 1922 after the lynching of a couple Greeks by the KKK in Atlanta.

Yes of course it existed, my Great Grandpa was Greek and he experienced lots of racism, especially on the east coast which is one reason he went to live in Colorado/Wyoming area (basically it was very difficult to get a job in east), while in West it was easier because nobody (that wasn't an immigrant) wanted the crappy jobs. He was a rail worker.

Nowadays a lot of people think racism is just against different colors, but back then everyone experienced crap at some time Irish (my Great Grandpa on moms-dads side also experienced shit), German, Swedish...it didn't matter.
    X

I believe around 1900, USA was really into the isolationism, so the citizens absolutely hated anyone from the outside that came to live here. Didn't matter where.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreeshak View Post
    for Americans
    Lol for "Americans"