Deleted

Alan Bissett on 'Scottish Cringe'

Not hugely relevant to the vast majority of you on this forum, but I think it's an incredibly interesting video in regards to Scottish culture and it's representation at home in and the media. As to who Alan Bissett is, he's a Scottish author and playwright; anyway video:

Quick edit: The relevant section starts at about 2:28. The rest before that is mainly introduction that is only mildly relevant.
    Last edited by mmoc65a9be75bb; 2013-03-08 at 12:14 AM.

Deleted
    he's an incredibly bad speaker and the quality of that video is incredibly bad also. I gave up trying to work out what he was on about within the first 3mins.
    Is there a summary you can post?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihuitl View Post
    he's an incredibly bad speaker and the quality of that video is incredibly bad also. I gave up trying to work out what he was on about within the first 3mins.
    Is there a summary you can post?
    I had zero issues understanding it; is it perhaps the accent?

A transcript / summary isn't going to be easy for me to type out, my keyboard is rather mucked up at the moment so I'm having to use an onscreen keyboard for a lot of key presses.

Deleted
    I can understand the accent, but the quality is very poor. Do not expect anyone outside of the UK to understand it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    I can understand the accent, but the quality is very poor. Do not expect anyone outside of the UK to understand it.
    Can't really do much about it. This is the ONLY video about it up on youtube.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post

A transcript / summary isn't going to be easy for me to type out, my keyboard is rather mucked up at the moment so I'm having to use an onscreen keyboard for a lot of key presses.
    I dont have an issue with accent, but I did have to watch for a bit to see if he was pissed or not, because it really seams like he is at the beginning. Its really not easy watching, may try again tomorrrow.

15+ Year Old Account
    He brings up some very interesting points. Granted, I'm American, so I'm just on outsider looking in, so take that for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    I find him to be perfectly intelligible, but still a rather poor speaker. He tends to mumble at the end of sentences, or when he's making a mention in-between, and he tends to side-track a fair bit, picking up clumsily afterward. Speaking is, of course, rather different from writing.

Anyway, I can really identify with the points he makes about Scottish identity and its inferiority complex. Me being Frisian, that is.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is difficult to understand, though luckily I can sort of strain my ears through it, and I get a lot of what he's saying.

Maybe you could type up a transcript and post it for others?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Uennie View Post
    It is difficult to understand, though luckily I can sort of strain my ears through it, and I get a lot of what he's saying.

Maybe you could type up a transcript and post it for others?
    I suppose I can. Definitely not tonight though; I should have a bit of free time tomorrow to get it done.

I suppose I can. Definitely not tonight though; I should have a bit of free time tomorrow to get it done.
    I was bored, here's a transcript; http://pastebin.com/mYPE0wmE Didn't pay too much attention to grammar etc... broke up the text to make it easier to read almost at random etc...

I understand what he's saying but I don't know if I can entirely agree with his conclusions. I mean there's a very distinct Scottish youth culture and Scottish music is really becoming prominent again and is pretty unique, to say that we don't know who we are as a country seems quite harsh.

10+ Year Old Account
    He's got some echo. I can understand it but the quality is not great and some parts are a little difficult.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    I was bored, here's a transcript; http://pastebin.com/mYPE0wmE Didn't pay too much attention to grammar etc... broke up the text to make it easier to read almost at random etc...

I understand what he's saying but I don't know if I can entirely agree with his conclusions. I mean there's a very distinct Scottish youth culture and Scottish music is really becoming prominent again and is pretty unique, to say that we don't know who we are as a country seems quite harsh.
    I appreciate you doing my work for me :P