Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Youtube Advice please.

Hi, dont know if this is right subforum but i hope so. can anybody help me figure out where to share my youtube page? im kinda in the stage right now where i need some feedback because im still new to video game recording and commentary. I know you are not supposed to advertise on mmo-champion so im not linking my page but it would be nice to figure out where to go to at least get my vids seen by people besides friends. I have tried reddit but i cant figure out the right subreddit so ive just been doing r/games and r/gaming and people just keep downvoting without saying why or even viewing my channel :/. Any ideas or advice would be very helpful, thanks!
    My channel: Shirgadirth I used to do let's play's but now I do reviews, but not very often. Far too busy from school. Also too poor to buy games :P

Reddit does not like self-promotion. It makes them feel bad that other people are trying to do things when you attach a name to your effort.

But also, if all you're doing is linking your channel and saying "hey guys i got cool game stuff watch my vids" then I would downvote that too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most of the main subreddits such as gaming and games have rules against self promoting. You just have to keep working at your videos and produce quality content. All the larger youtube names have spent years at their work, and have extremely good and entertaining things to watch. There is probably a subreddit somewhere but I honestly couldn't say which it is, sorry to say. Just ask around and I am sure there is a place you can post your videos and get critique for it. Hell even gamefaqs can work too, thats what I did back in the mid 2000s.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Reddit does not like self-promotion. It makes them feel bad that other people are trying to do things when you attach a name to your effort.

But also, if all you're doing is linking your channel and saying "hey guys i got cool game stuff watch my vids" then I would downvote that too.
    well i posted about a paragraph and a half where i linked it but i see what you mean ><

---------- Post added 2013-05-03 at 06:55 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by LocNess View Post
    Most of the main subreddits such as gaming and games have rules against self promoting. You just have to keep working at your videos and produce quality content. All the larger youtube names have spent years at their work, and have extremely good and entertaining things to watch. There is probably a subreddit somewhere but I honestly couldn't say which it is, sorry to say. Just ask around and I am sure there is a place you can post your videos and get critique for it. Hell even gamefaqs can work too, thats what I did back in the mid 2000s.
    I know it takes time but the problem is i need people who arent my friends to give me feedback so i know what to change and what im doing right and its kinda hard to get that you know?
    My channel: Shirgadirth I used to do let's play's but now I do reviews, but not very often. Far too busy from school. Also too poor to buy games :P

Deleted
    Youtube is such a harsh market to get into, and the lack advertising is really the downfall of a lot of new channels. There isn't a good way to do it, even reddit won't get you that far. My advice would be to downright pretend you're not the owner of the channel and link videos on all sorts of forums and whatnot, and say hey this guy is amazing and this is so funny you should go watch him.

Also could you just name the name of your channel, because I personally like to give people a chance and at least take a look at their channel
    Last edited by mmoccd6b5b3be4; 2013-05-03 at 07:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Youtube is such a harsh market to get into, and the lack advertising is really the downfall of a lot of new channels. There isn't a good way to do it, even reddit won't get you that far. My advice would be to downright pretend you're not the owner of the channel and link videos on all sorts of forums and whatnot, and say hey this guy is amazing and this is so funny you should go watch him.

Also could you just name the name of your channel, because I personally like to give people a chance and at least take a look at their channel
    dont want to risk getting ANOTHER infraction lol so ill just pm you it! also, i dont like being dishonest even online so pretending to be somebody else isnt really for me ><
    Last edited by Bladeface; 2013-05-03 at 07:12 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bladeface View Post
    dont want to risk getting ANOTHER infraction lol so ill just pm you it
    Understandable thank you, will go take a look

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Understandable thank you, will go take a look

i did send it right? i cant remember if i actually pressed send or not...

General rule of Youtube is if your videos are unique or special, they will get around themselves, without the need for you to advertise them everywhere. Make people who see your videos see you as talented or notice how much work you put into making said video. Say if you're just another teenager uploading constant spams of CoD footage you can't expect huge to happen, even if you threw you video links around everywhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shop Ebay View Post
    General rule of Youtube is if your videos are unique or special, they will get around themselves, without the need for you to advertise them everywhere. Make people who see your videos see you as talented or notice how much work you put into making said video. Say if you're just another teenager uploading constant spams of CoD footage you can't expect huge to happen, even if you threw you video links around everywhere.
    that isnt really true at all... if you do not post your vids anywhere basically no matter how good they are it is hard for them to be seen just because of how youtube shows videos. if you type in something onto youtube it doesnt just pop up with hundreds of random 3 view videos unless it is something extremely random, it pops up with all of the highly viewed videos because it sees them as more relevant.

that isnt really true at all... if you do not post your vids anywhere basically no matter how good they are it is hard for them to be seen just because of how youtube shows videos. if you type in something onto youtube it doesnt just pop up with hundreds of random 3 view videos unless it is something extremely random, it pops up with all of the highly viewed videos because it sees them as more relevant.
    They still get around without advertisement. I never advertised my videos when I started out on youtube, they were nothing special but still managed to get around even though they were all from some nobody with 0 view videos. Last month for example, my video links in the mmo champ wow video megathread only account for 4% of my total views. The majority are from Youtube searchs, Youtube suggesting them to others, Google searchs, and other people linking them on external website for w/e reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    They still get around without advertisement. I never advertised my videos when I started out on youtube, they were nothing special but still managed to get around even though they were all from some nobody with 0 view videos. Last month for example, my video links in the mmo champ wow video megathread only account for 4% of my total views. The majority are from Youtube searchs, Youtube suggesting them to others, Google searchs, and other people linking them on external website for w/e reason.
    but i am just doing gameplay and playthroughs. there is a lot of people who do that so i literally have to advertise to get noticed. nobody is going to give a playthrough a chance from somebody with 40 views when theres somebody doing the same game that has 200k. the quality of the content doesnt matter much if everybody doesnt even click on the video.
    Last edited by Bladeface; 2013-05-03 at 09:13 AM.

Actually what I like to do on youtube is try to find some amazing video with barely any views. They just don't seem to exist. Don't think that these videos with tons of views became that way with their owners advertising them on websites. With the amount of people throwing links around to their videos on websites, it really gets old to the average internet user. In short, linking your videos on websites doesn't help as much as you think it will. Plus its the quality of the video that keeps the viewer watching, liking, and subscribing for more easy future views. Poor quality videos could just lead to a viewer down voting and leaving, which can harm your chances of showing up in searches, I'm not to certain about that one though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually what I like to do on youtube is try to find some amazing video with barely any views. They just don't seem to exist. Don't think that these videos with tons of views became that way with their owners advertising them on websites. With the amount of people throwing links around to their videos on websites, it really gets old to the average internet user. In short, linking your videos on websites doesn't help as much as you think it will. Plus its the quality of the video that keeps the viewer watching, liking, and subscribing for more easy future views. Poor quality videos could just lead to a viewer down voting and leaving, which can harm your chances of showing up in searches, I'm not to certain about that one though.
    look, i am looking for advice. telling me to do nothing does not qualify so stop.

it really depends, i'm not one to go looking for videos on games, for me its very situational, only recently with say, dayz and terraria did i even realize 'lets plays' exist.

even then when i go to watch a video like that, its only because the game or mod is FOTM. or its a new version i haven't played and i want to see a feature in action.

from what i've seen it really pays to have some sort of likeable voice and or small talk, when your sitting there watching someone play a game, if you can be informative not overly funny but to the point, you'll soon gain followers.

i don't think any of the youtube sensations took off after their first few vids unless they were really good. if you can pull off consistent lets plays then you will find someone interested in the same game who will check you out. lets plays i've watched were usually episodic following a playthrough of a lengthy game like dwarf fortress and roguelike attempts or back in the day,boss strategies , again it really all comes down to the game your playing and who your trying to get to watch your vids and the content your showing off within that vid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    it really depends, i'm not one to go looking for videos on games, for me its very situational, only recently with say, dayz and terraria did i even realize 'lets plays' exist.

even then when i go to watch a video like that, its only because the game or mod is FOTM. or its a new version i haven't played and i want to see a feature in action.

from what i've seen it really pays to have some sort of likeable voice and or small talk, when your sitting there watching someone play a game, if you can be informative not overly funny but to the point, you'll soon gain followers.

i don't think any of the youtube sensations took off after their first few vids unless they were really good. if you can pull off consistent lets plays then you will find someone interested in the same game who will check you out. lets plays i've watched were usually episodic following a playthrough of a lengthy game like dwarf fortress and roguelike attempts or back in the day,boss strategies , again it really all comes down to the game your playing and who your trying to get to watch your vids and the content your showing off within that vid.
    yeah im mostly trying to do new games right when they come out. for instance i just finished my very first series on far cry 3 blood dragon but now i need to find another game to record

and thats how you'll gain more views basically, the more games you do, the more chance you have of someone finding one of them interesting, and then watching the others you've done.

Deleted
    well i posted about a paragraph and a half where i linked it but i see what you mean ><

---------- Post added 2013-05-03 at 06:55 AM ----------

I know it takes time but the problem is i need people who arent my friends to give me feedback so i know what to change and what im doing right and its kinda hard to get that you know?
    Nothing to do with time. You need luck or be insanely good at what you do.

For 90% of the youtube community it's depending on luck...theren't much big youtubers that got there by being good at what they do. Most of them get 1 video "viral" and that gives them the opportunity to get where they are now.

Best is being first at something, let's say the new CoD comes out. If you make a decent to good video with or over the new CoD game and you are one of the first then your subcount skyrockets if you keep making videos as you will be rememberd for being one of the guys related to said CoD game.

but i am just doing gameplay and playthroughs. there is a lot of people who do that so i literally have to advertise to get noticed. nobody is going to give a playthrough a chance from somebody with 40 views when theres somebody doing the same game that has 200k. the quality of the content doesnt matter much if everybody doesnt even click on the video.
    Which brings you to my point...be one of the first on a new game. It doens't even matter if you enjoy that game...once you are known people will watch your videos anyway. Tobygames is the perfect example...hes playthroughs were good the first 2-3. After he got popular for playing some games the quality of his videos went downhill as he started acting funny insted of being funny naturally.
    Last edited by mmoc6f961e454e; 2013-05-03 at 10:01 AM.

You should either be really funny or really good at what you do, the 1st is strong alone but the 2nd one needs some help from the first.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Nothing to do with time. You need luck or be insanely good at what you do.

For 90% of the youtube community it's depending on luck...theren't much big youtubers that got there by being good at what they do. Most of them get 1 video "viral" and that gives them the opportunity to get where they are now.

Best is being first at something, let's say the new CoD comes out. If you make a decent to good video with or over the new CoD game and you are one of the first then your subcount skyrockets if you keep making videos as you will be rememberd for being one of the guys related to said CoD game.
    thats what im trying to do but seeing as most big gaming youtubers get to play the game before it comes out its hard to be the first at any game. i am still going to post stuff on new games on day one but i still think it would help to link my vids around places. also kind of hoping i can get into the elder scrolls online beta so when the nda is lifted i can be one of the first with gameplay of that lol.

---------- Post added 2013-05-03 at 10:04 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    You should either be really funny or really good at what you do, the 1st is strong alone but the 2nd one needs some help from the first.
    i try to be as funny as i can but thats why i need people who will be critical to watch my stuff and tell me what they think so i know what to change.