Deleted

Strategy games on steam?

Hello!
    I'm looking for a new strategy game to purchase on Steam. I've completed every Command and Conquer, I've completed Starcraft, and I've completed every Total War title. So, what are your recommendations on great strategy games? I'd prefer if they were like the games I've completed, I mean, I've bought many strategy games to be let down by their dullness and over complication. I play games for fun, not fuel for thought.

Deleted
    Civ 5. Was on sale a few days ago though.

Super Commander 1 & 2 are in sort of the same vein, but more large-scale battles. I'd also want to recommend Sins of a Solar Empire, a Space RTS/4X game. It plays sort of like Homeworld, but add in some more 4X elements (large tech trees to research).
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by troll View Post
    Civ 5. Was on sale a few days ago though.
    Civ 5 is very different from the games he described which are (somewhat) micro-heavy RTS games where the Civ series, while completely awesome, is macro-heavy and turn-based.

Supreme Commander is a good one, it's like Command & Conquer beefed up to a larger scale than Total War. He might also enjoy the newly released HD-Edition of Age of Empires II, which is hands down one of the best strategy games ever made or AoE3.

The Empire Earth series is also worth a look, even though I'm not sure it's available on Steam. There's a crapton of awesome games not on Steam, to list some:

Dune games (by Westwood Studios, try Emperor: Battle for Dune)
    Warcraft 3
    Total Annihilation
    Earth series (Earth 2150, 2160 and 2170)
    Rise of Nations
    The Warhammer ones, not sure what they were called

Most of these can be had for 5 bucks or less. For now I'm out of ideas, but keep 'em coming, people.
    Last edited by Krawu; 2013-03-16 at 01:54 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Krawu View Post
    Civ 5 is very different from the games he described which are (somewhat) micro-heavy RTS games where the Civ series, while completely awesome, is macro-heavy and turn-based.

Supreme Commander is a good one, it's like Command & Conquer beefed up to a larger scale than Total War. He might also enjoy the newly released HD-Edition of Age of Empires II, which is hands down one of the best strategy games ever made or AoE3.

The Empire Earth series is also worth a look, even though I'm not sure it's available on Steam. There's a crapton of awesome games not on Steam, to list some:

Dune games (by Westwood Studios, try Emperor: Battle for Dune)
    Warcraft 3
    Total Annihilation
    Earth series (Earth 2150, 2160 and 2170)
    Rise of Nations
    The Warhammer ones, not sure what they were called

Most of these can be had for 5 bucks or less. For now I'm out of ideas, but keep 'em coming, people.
    Hm? Total War is turn-based.
    I'll give Age Of Empires a look, I've heard a lot of praise for it.
    Edit: Is age of empires 3 any good? It's half price and it's got some good reviews.
    Edit 2: I've just watched some videos of Civ 5, it looks a lot like Total War, I think I could get used to the mechanics.
    Last edited by mmocb5e225659b; 2013-03-16 at 02:00 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthwings View Post
    Its more of a mix of it, the politics part is turn based but the actual battles is RTS.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll give Age Of Empires a look, I've heard a lot of praise for it.
    Edit: Is age of empires 3 any good? It's half price and it's got some good reviews.
    Edit 2: I've just watched some videos of Civ 5, it looks a lot like Total War, I think I could get used to the mechanics.
    Well, if you count in the world map part, Total War has similarities with Civ, but is only came to me when you said so, since I play those games for the awesome battles
    Age of Empires 3 is a really cool game and it's on sale currently, but personally I'd still go for the second installment, this might only be nostalgia though. I you want your games to have good graphics go for 3, otherwise 2.

You said you played all Command & Conquer games, but since they tend to be forgotten a lot, I'l still go ahead and recomment C&C 1, 2 (Red Alert) and the REAL C&C3 (Tiberian Sun). All of those are freeware now, so if you missed out on one of them, be sure to try it.

Company of heroes is a must buy if you haven't got it already.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Krawu View Post
    Well, if you count in the world map part, Total War has similarities with Civ, but is only came to me when you said so, since I play those games for the awesome battles
    Age of Empires 3 is a really cool game and it's on sale currently, but personally I'd still go for the second installment, this might only be nostalgia though. I you want you games to have good graphics go for 3, otherwise 2.

You said you played all Command & Conquer games, but since they tend to be forgotten a lot, I'l still go ahead and recomment C&C 1, 2 (Red Alert) and the REAL C&C3 (Tiberian Sun). All of those are freeware now, so if you missed out on one of them, be sure to try it.
    Great, I'll give them a look.
    I've played them all, really good. Red Alert was a personal favourite of mine. I think I'll go with CiV 5, it looks refreshing and new. Age of Empires looks too similar to Empire: Total War, and I'm looking for something different. Thanks for the advice, all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great, I'll give them a look.
    I've played them all, really good. I think I'll go with CiV 5, it looks refreshing and new. Age of Empires looks too similar to Empire: Total War, and I'm looking for something different. Thanks for the advice, all.
    If you want to try the Civ games, check out FreeCiv. It's basically a fan-made (extremely well done) rip-off of the Civ series, but it's more like the first 4 parts and does still have some weaknesses in the diplomacy AI.

I can recommend Company of Heroes. Great World War II RTS game.

Deleted
    age of empires HD releases soon on steam