Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Wanting help is the first step but we "as in us replying to you" can only do so much.

Your first problem is your addiction to video games. once you stop or at lease cut back it will help you try to find a job you may enjoy and do other things.

I myself am 22 years old Been job hunting for 3 years just a little at a time but for myself it has gotten to the point I want more even if its a small 1 bedroom apt. you just got to set yourself a goal and try to achieve it.

I know. I know its nothing you guys can do...change isnt external its internal..but I cant ever change internally so I come to here.

Am I really addicted to video games? It sounds horrible, but I guess I am. I cant imagine my life without them so yeah. The program I am in wants to cut me back 2 hours a day with technology/computer and 4 hours a week day. Thats fair....but its like......hard to do.

I really do wish you luck in your job hunt. YOu seem like a good man..and a 1bed apartment would be killer

---------- Post added 2013-03-19 at 11:22 PM ----------

Im going to bed guys. Got chemistry first thing in the morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by xannax2780 View Post
    It's called balancing.
    Maybe you should try balancing the large cup of QQ in your left hand with a big mug of STFU in your right.
    Just sayn'

Deleted
    I agree with you. Ill be like "this is boring. I have nothing to do". So I might turn to food which would be the worst case, I would play another videogame which wouldnt help, or watch TV....which wouldnt help. Or I could try to make do with whats in my room which is a guitar...and books. and I dont like reading....
    Or you could, you know, find a hobby that involves interacting with the outside world?

And yes I can make a list of hundreds of hobbies but the thing is I just kinda want to ... find a hobby I actually like versus what I think I like. I dont know if I like photography. I dont know if I REALLLLY like it or think its a fad. And I dont have anything to lose I guess, I just have a risk. Im taking a risk...and I dont like those. And I dont think others are playing videogames and watch tv marathons. Im sure they do a little of that in a day....but not the majority of their day.
    A risk means that you have something to lose. The only thing you have to lose by pursuing a hobby that isn't wow is time, that you wouldn't have spent on anything productive anyways. You have litterarly nothing of value to lose trying a different hobby out, there's no risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    Then you have two options either pack your stuff and get out, or don't bite the hand that feeds you. That's all there is to it.

I'm allowed to be immature. I've been an adult long enough to sometimes step out of line.
    I do agree with you on that.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Or you could, you know, find a hobby that involves interacting with the outside world?

A risk means that you have something to lose. The only thing you have to lose by pursuing a hobby that isn't wow is time, that you wouldn't have spent on anything productive anyways. You have litterarly nothing of value to lose trying it out.
    Like...? I dont like the outside world haha. I barely function in school I guess.

the risk is that I have a chance to fail. if I uninstall this game then I will have nothing to do. nothing to do leads to boredom, which in the past, led me to eat a lot and binge. For real Im going to night Im gonna check this first thing in the morning...
    Quote Originally Posted by xannax2780 View Post
    It's called balancing.
    Maybe you should try balancing the large cup of QQ in your left hand with a big mug of STFU in your right.
    Just sayn'

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by calinass View Post
    I feel like I have no privacy in my house. Thank god she is semi-illiterate with computers and technology.

She can barge into my room without knocking or whatever and will be like "YOURE PLAYING WOW." and gets pretty much the biggest hardon over me playing world of warcraft. well more like the anti-hard on in the sense that she has to make up excuses to go on my computer and search for world of warcraft, talk about a coworkers son who dropped out of school beause of world of warcraft and became a tattoo artist. for fucks sake I dont know when shes lying or not. And she doesnt know when Im lying or not because I tell her its Diablo or whatever. Stupid bitch really probably couldnt tell the difference, like comparing apples to oranges.

Im just sick of it. I want to talk to her when shes not in some kind of drunken state (shes not a drunk but at night she drinks and when she drinks shes not a happy drinker I can tell you that. emotional as fuck.), and tell her that world of warcraft is not the fucking devil.

unfortunately its the only game I really enjoy and can play for periods of times (where other games like D3, Counter Strike, Skyrim, Fallout, etc I can only play for a month or two before getting bored). I just dont fucking get her hardon for this game and to fight me over it. When I was out of state at university I got depressed and had major symptoms of eating disorders, I gained a bunch of weight, stopped going to class and went to go raid ICC with a progressing guild. Now she thinks that whenever I play it.....idk. Like I said she just has the biggest fucking fascination.

I cant move out, so dont tell me to move out. Shes financially supporting me. Im 20 going to a treatment facility in California for my problems. If I could get an apartment I would. Can someone help me out?

if your 20 years old now, how were you going to college out of state and raiding icc as progression? that was like 3 or 4 years ago...

So then what? If I dont have stimuli Ill be connected with my body more? Ill have to be in my body because I wouldnt be on my phone. And I did. The first time I did it it was hell. it was on my 20th birthday and I asked her for a reward if she could buy me a 6 pack (didnt drink it in one sitting...had it over the course of 3 weeks or so).

I would hike with her but its HARD. It is literally no walk in the park.
    You'll get the opportunity to explore your thoughts if you're not constantly attached to the stimulus drip that is the Internet. That's really what this whole 'internet addiction' thing is; people are brought up in the internet, and aren't able to tone their brain down from 100% go go go. Which is what your brain is like when you're on the internet.

If it's hard, then good. It's a project! You'll taste victory outside of downing a raid boss in WoW.

Also, your mum might buy you more beer, which is a good thing. Mmm. Beeeeeeer.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

I know. I know its nothing you guys can do...change isnt external its internal..but I cant ever change internally so I come to here.

Am I really addicted to video games? It sounds horrible, but I guess I am. I cant imagine my life without them so yeah. The program I am in wants to cut me back 2 hours a day with technology/computer and 4 hours a week day. Thats fair....but its like......hard to do.

I really do wish you luck in your job hunt. YOu seem like a good man..and a 1bed apartment would be killer

---------- Post added 2013-03-19 at 11:22 PM ----------

Im going to bed guys. Got chemistry first thing in the morning.
    Thx and yes you can be addicted to video games. For a long time all i wanted to do was barely anything and play games "a lot of it was wow" spent 12hrs a day on it and now 3 years has passed I barely did anything to improve myself. I did job hunt every now and then but I should have done more.

The last thing you want to do is wake up and be like SHIT XX Years as passed and this is all I have done it sucks trust me on that.

In my case there was a lot more to it and some things happen that did a 180 on my life but sooner or later you just have to more past all the bs and try.

In your case you have nothing to lose and everything to gain from trying.

---------- Post added 2013-03-20 at 06:29 AM ----------

Like...? I dont like the outside world haha. I barely function in school I guess.

the risk is that I have a chance to fail. if I uninstall this game then I will have nothing to do. nothing to do leads to boredom, which in the past, led me to eat a lot and binge. For real Im going to night Im gonna check this first thing in the morning...
    Everything you do in life from waking up to going back to sleep you have a chance to fail at.

But what matters is your try'ed.

Just try and keep trying.

Look at it like a raid in wow you are progressing and just have to keep trying to kill that next boss and in the end it may all seem LFR easy to you once you reached that goal.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2013-03-20 at 06:30 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Deleted
    You can grow to enjoy it. Personally I'm a bit involved in politics and on two boards regarding student related interests, in addition to a student and raidleader (considering how your life looks right now I'd advice you to just quit wow entirely though, or I'll doubt you'll get the energy to do anything). I also hang out a fair bit with friends, some of them are involved in politics/play wow just like me, with the others I usually just hang out, talk, play some boardgames or have a beer. Since you gave that as an example, give photography a shot, join a photography club, meet people, get involved.

You don't fail. You give it a shot, if you don't enjoy it, walk away and try something else. I'm going to be blunt, if you don't have any interests apart from wow, no relationships (or you'd have things to do) apart from a scrappy one with your mother and poor health (eating disorder, no training, no contact with the outside world) I don't really see what you have to lose. Do you really think your current lifestyle has any value at all?
    Last edited by mmoc321e539296; 2013-03-20 at 06:41 AM.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The problem is that since all you do is play WoW and act like your 12 when your actually 20 is because you lack meaning. Wanna know how I found meaning when I was 18.

1. Looked at my past shortcomings and held myself accountable for all my failures (From not pulling chicks to letting people down to a 1.9gpa)
    2. Controlled what I could from that day forward. If I found a fault, I did what I could to correct it no matter what.
    3. Developed close bonds and friendships so I could go to them for consul during my journey,

You lack meaning. You lack goals, you lack desires. That is inexcusable at this point in your life. Keep it up and you will look back years from now and say "wow, I did nothing with myself and I am a bigger loser for it" The lubby dubby libtard BS is going to do nothing until you follow these steps. Do this, and everything will magically go away?

Can you sitll play WoW, of course! But can you play it without having any other meaning or goals? Fuck no.

You sound depressed, maybe get that checked out to.
    4. Found a long term goal, and decided I would devote all of my life force to achieve it.
    Last edited by THE Bigzoman; 2013-03-20 at 06:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't worry about whether walking is considered exercise or not, it is a healthy activity that does burn calories and provide some nice health benefits. From what you've said your mother is quite an alcoholic, it is not normal to be frequently drunk. I'd suggest trying to find a therapist to help you work through some of your problems, just having someone you can talk to and have them actually listen can be incredible. I don't know enough about you to really offer any useful advice beyond what I've already said, well aside from this-

I hope this makes you feel better, even if it is an infinitesimally small amount you will still be better than you were before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This sap almost has no clue who he is. That is a huge part of it right there.

i found renovating my home a nice filler for playing, only downside is that when i was done and my home looked awesome, i started playing again, cause a few of my friends still play :P but it sounds like you don't have the money for doing it all right away, so that would mean it would take you longer. just help your mother out (i'm assuming you're a guy). as you don't mention a father living with you, you should step up and take care of your mom. that will give you something to do with your time, and your mom will certainly stop "bithcing". imo, the only one who's doing the bitching here is the premature 20 year old in her house doing nothing to contribute.

Deleted
    Well from my own point of view i can find my self and my past in your first post in this thread, An Endless fucking running of an angry mom slamming in the doors either it was in her mind bed time, school,weekends or some silly things just to interupt my gaming, i can admit i was not really a social person except to my friends in wow. Neither got a job..

But somehow al that door slamming led to something good, Found myself thinking alot of what i want to do with my life..... Got a work and finally and could move my ass to my own apartment.

And work etc make i cannot play 24/7 but i have never enjoyd wow more then this ! always something to do at those minimum hours i play everyday.

So my Advice to you is to Start talking with your mom about her drinking and help her!. spend daytimes hunting a work. nothing comes for free in life

15+ Year Old Account
    I was in similar situation. Mother would drink in the evening and go crazy more often than not. Pinnacle of her insufferable behaviour was turning the electricity off while I was in a 2v2 match, going for 1950 rating back in TBC season 4 (it was serious stuff btw, there were shoulders for it y'know). Knowing what my mother was like I tried avoiding giving her reasons to go crazy. Basically I'd come home from school, ask if anything needs to be done around the house... But even doing so I was hardly a model kid. I dodged school left and right and was failing miserably in it (going into economics school didn't help since I hated that branch... I had to get up early in the morning to hate on economics as there wasn't time enough during the day).
    Anyway, I packed my bags the same evening and moved to my grandad's place. Quit the school I hated, got job in IT 1-2 months later. Moved into my own place another 2 years later.

I lost my girlfriend over WoW also. Looking back I kinda regret it, but having spoken to her a while back I realized our life views have separated so much it wouldn't work out even if I never played WoW to begin with.

And like you, I would ask myself "why should I quit WoW?". And give myself rasons not to. Like that it's the cheapest kind of entertainment. And why should I quit if I like playing it. And besides everything else boring anyway, right?!
    Well after years of living alone and playing to my heart's desires, I found myself getting bored and frustrated so much when raiding, the arguing shifted from 'why should I quit' to 'why the hell shouldn't I'?

Naturally, if you do not want to quit, you probably won't. And you will continue to struggle with your mother unless you have someplace else to move AND take care of yourself. Or start bringing in considerable income to shift "who's the boss around the house" into your favor.
    You just gonna have to consider whether it's all woth the hassle with your mother and maybe if there aren't better things to do with your life.

Take it as a part of becoming an adult.
    Last edited by Xzan; 2013-03-20 at 07:00 AM.

I don't mean to sound rude or anything but what I see from your posts is you lack self control and confidence. You lack purpose. My recommendation is try out some hobbies on the computer. Have you ever tried programming? You said you think logically, well test it out by coding. Go to udacity.com and do their first computer science class for free. I personally blew through it in a few days, but I had prior experience to coding and only did it to get familiar with Python.

Try the programming, it will give you a purpose and might be something you like and enjoy doing. I know I love to sit here and program a game myself, like today for example I perfected my collision detection for a flash game I'm coding in ActionScript 3.0, it took me the past week working on it all together and nothing is more satisfying then seeing a game you coded work and some of your animations and game mechanics work. I love to look back at when I first started coding a little over a ear ago in C++ and wrote hello world to making a bubble sort algorithm and learning basic OOP. Now I spend about an hour a day coding to keep my brain thinking and exercising it.

I get along great with my parents and I've had a few interviews and hopefully a job should be coming up soon enough. Just one thing though, ask your self what skills do you have to offer to others? For me personally I have experience as an electrician so i do work on the side when it pops up for some house/residential wiring and make a decent chunk of change from it and I've also repaired and built PC's for people to for extra cash. Try and improve yourself somewhere and offer those skills to others. I've been a gamer all my life and even now I've been gaming a lot, but I've been playing a lot of minecraft and enjoy creating buildings etc. that I started learning CAD on my own and I design out houses/buildings I want to do in minecraft then implement them. Even gaming can be educational and help you with real life skills. Minecraft teaches people to plan and design then how to implement and add of later, a lot of steps involved in math and many trades plus coding.

All in all I wish you the best of luck and if you would be interested in coding let me know and I'll help you if you need it. Also meditating is a great thing to try

Maybe your mom is relating your disrespect for her because of your games, try develop a better relationship with your mom, stop being so selfish, try find some balance

Deleted
    Your house? Your room? You live in her house and room show some respect. I was shocked when I read that you're 20, you sound like a spoiled 15 year old kid.
    Grow up and get your shit together man..

Get a job. Save your money. Get your own place. Then make your own rules.

Welcome to being an adult.

Ahh Parent issues. Reminds me of the time I was caught in bed with another guy. I thought my parents were going to crucify me.

These are silly problems OP, as you get older the friction in the house will probably increase, reach a breaking point, and then suddenly wither away into nothing. That is what happened too me. My parents were always at my throat because they didn't agree with my sexuality, but as time went on and I got older they cared less and less. Obviously gaming is a different story, but if you continue to grow into an adult and prove your gaming hasn't affected you adversely they'll lay off. As sucky as it is, your Mom is just worried about you.

---------- Post added 2013-03-20 at 12:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post
    Get a job. Save your money. Get your own place. Then make your own rules.

Welcome to being an adult.
    There can only be one Frank on this forum son.
    "Why are you wearing that stupid Man suit?"

15+ Year Old Account
    So was your mother raising you alone? And the fact that she does drink often might imply that she has problems of her own, also you must understand that it might be her way of caring for your well being.You said your mom likes hiking, have you tried going with her? Some bonding wouldn't hurt, also i suggest that when shes sober, approach her with some sort of a question/advice from time to time even if you now the answer yourself, that should show her that you put some trust in her, maybe in exchange she'll put some trust in you? I don't really know, but trying won't hurt, right?