Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Back when I was playing WoW my main was a girl character, but that was because Draenei males looked VERY derpy to me. When I swapped to Horde that shaman became a male troll. It really just depends for me on the specific race...but I have never acted like a female in game if I have the female toon.

Although I was playing Smite with some friends the other night and I was playing Aphrodite, they trolled the one person on our team not in Mumble with us telling them I was a girl and all sorts of hijinxs ensued. I eventually had to block that guy -_- I don't think he believed me when I said I was a male.
    “The rains have ceased, and we have been graced with another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Well played, OP. Well played.

Having a female-gender character = pretenting you're a girl. It suuurely does.

/sarcasm

By the way, who looks at other characters' genders anymore? Most people assume it's a dude playing anyway.
    It's time to level up and quit your newbie ways
    You need to go outside and get some new V-rays
    A fresh breath of air will help you talk again
    Inhale, exhale, feel the Oxygen
    - Woodman

Deleted
    I had all male characters in Wotlk, then i wanted to make my first healer, and it just felt perfect to make it a female human priest with tailoring and cooking. I haven't made male characters since.

I have been mistaken for a girl on that priest several times, even when i told them i wasn't, people getting disappointed when they hear me on voice chat the first time.

10+ Year Old Account
    The dumbest part about playing a female toon is the lonely perverts who /flirt with you all the goddamn time.

I am a dude, piss off.
    Putin khuliyo

15+ Year Old Account
    I play whatever I think looks best. More often than not this will be the female characters.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am a guy i generally play male toons i do have a a couple female toons well 3 now that i think of it, and mostly for the cliche reasons already stated, plus some of the male toons that aren't human are fugly as hell.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    The dumbest part about playing a female toon is the lonely perverts who /flirt with you all the goddamn time.

I am a dude, piss off.
    I was a pretty active WoW player and never made it a secret that I was a girl and I also played female characters exclusively and that almost never happened. Of course I didn't start flirting with anyone and never begged for gold or freebies either. I made a lot of friends, both male and female, was in 2 very friendly guilds, even went to one of the real life guild meetings. Well, there were some guildies hitting on me and acting jealous.

If anything, letting them know I was female (after being repeatedly called dude or mate or some such) usually had positive effects, less swearing, less "male" talk in random groups. But most of the time it had no effect whatsoever. So either I got lucky or the WoW community is not as bad as you think.

10+ Year Old Account
    male, playing male toons.. The esthetic plays little to no role at all.
    I am busy looking at whats going on, and not at my own toon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    I was a pretty active WoW player and never made it a secret that I was a girl and I also played female characters exclusively and that almost never happened. Of course I didn't start flirting with anyone and never begged for gold or freebies either. I made a lot of friends, both male and female, was in 2 very friendly guilds, even went to one of the real life guild meetings. Well, there were some guildies hitting on me and acting jealous.

If anything, letting them know I was female (after being repeatedly called dude or mate or some such) usually had positive effects, less swearing, less "male" talk in random groups. But most of the time it had no effect whatsoever. So either I got lucky or the WoW community is not as bad as you think.
    Oh it doesn't happen *that* often, but after playing for ~5 years or so, I get random flirts in the occasional dungeon that just make me shake my head.
    Putin khuliyo

My tanks are male, my healers are female, my DPS are a mixed bag. Hooray for in game gender roles?

I play what looks cool. Also, I don't think my character is me. For me it is:

Human - neither sexes
    Dwarf - Male
    NE - Female
    Draenei - Female
    Worgen - Male
    Gnome - Female
    Pandaren - Male
    Orc - Male
    Tauren - Male
    Troll - neither
    Goblin - Male
    Undead - neither
    BE - Female

The only 2 that are doubtfull are maybe Tauren and Goblin. Both of those are okay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gender Sensitivity is the practice of including both genders as considerations in activities, it does NOT mean that you play a girl if your a guy or a guy if your a girl.

Most common reasons for these scenarios are as follows;
    Girls playing Males - they don't want to be harassed by the constant flow of guys hitting on female characters.

Guys playing Girls - Sex Appeal.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    Gender Sensitivity is the practice of including both genders as considerations in activities, it does NOT mean that you play a girl if your a guy or a guy if your a girl.

Most common reasons for these scenarios are as follows;
    Girls playing Males - they don't want to be harassed by the constant flow of guys hitting on female characters.

Guys playing Girls - Sex Appeal.
    Most common reason is probably that most people don't relate to characters as themselves to be honest. From my view it is strange that people like the OP even think of such a thing as a problem. For me, the character on my screen is completely separate from myself. Hense why I can also play something like a tauren or a pandaren.
    We should ask the OP why it is strange to play a female but not strange to play a cow? Does he fancy goats? Does he get any special feeling when playing a panda?

It is all kind of weird to me that somebody would relate to a thing on a screen like that

Quote Originally Posted by calinass View Post
    I dont pretend to be a girl in game. I pick girl characters because they are easier to look at on the eyes. Might as well like what Im seeing when playing a whole bunch.
    I'm the same way. I have both genders but on my female characters I don't pretend to be a girl.

I get to play male IRL, so I usually play female online.
    Why? Because I like being female. If I had a choice, I'd convert right here, right now. Of course, there ís kind of a choice, but you'd have to be a lot braver (or simply more in need) than I am to go down that road.

So in an environment where my physical appearance doesn't matter in the slightest, I (generally, but not always) choose to be female.

Edit for clarity: I don't pretend to be anything, by the way. I just play the game, and people tend to draw their own conclusions after a while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post
    Most common reason is probably that most people don't relate to characters as themselves to be honest. From my view it is strange that people like the OP even think of such a thing as a problem. For me, the character on my screen is completely separate from myself. Hense why I can also play something like a tauren or a pandaren.
    We should ask the OP why it is strange to play a female but not strange to play a cow? Does he fancy goats? Does he get any special feeling when playing a panda?

It is all kind of weird to me that somebody would relate to a thing on a screen like that
    I made a post a few months back talking about how there are basically two types of people in this issue:

Type A: Those who, like me, don't relate to their character. They are the director, but they remain beyond the fourth wall. My characters are their own persons. They are not me, they are not an extension of me. I might say "I'm going to go do that quest" but that doesn't mean that I see myself as my toon, only that I'm the one performing the actions through the character.

Type B: Those who relate to their character. They are their character. They play their character. They put themselves into the character and when they say "I'm going to go do that quest" they don't see themselves as performing the actions through the character, but as that character doing the actions.

I am a Type A. Thus I can play a female character in any game without any problem concerning gender.

And it isn't strictly black and white either. Type A and Type B can be mixed, but I do believe one will dominate the other in most cases.
    Putin khuliyo

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    I generally play male melee characters and female casters. I never act any differently regardless of what gender I play.
    I'm the same with you on that!

I have male and female toons, and I tend to speak in a gender neutral ways, so I am always taken for the gender of my toon. I always correct them and take no offense.

I pick the gender of my toons by race.

NE always male
    Draenei always female
    Dwarf = depends on the class
    gnome always female
    worgen = male
    pandaren = male
    human = female

5 males and 6 females

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    My character screen is a sausage-fest I only play male characters.

I don't think about it too much... my general rule of thumb is that girls don't play wow, and the ones that do never speak out about it