Dual monitor setup?

Ok, so kind of a random question really, but...is there anything special I need to set up dual monitors on my computer? Now mind you this isn't for gaming or anything (I prefer all my games to display on a single screen), this is for like so I can have my Excel doc on one screen and my Word doc or browser in another while doing some work. And my computer does have both DVI and VGA plugins. So yeah...is it just a matter of plugging both in at once and it magically works? Or is there some more involved process?

10+ Year Old Account
    for just 2 screens, then yeah in my experience its just a matter of plugging them both in and messing with the display options.

If you have Windows 7 or 8, it's just as simple as plugging them in. Other OS's... I'm not sure.

If it doesn't show up, try going into your resolution settings and messing around in there and use "Extend these Displays"

Mkay I have Windows 7 so that's good. Guess I'll go drag that other monitor over and give it a try...thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sphexy View Post
    If you have Windows 7 or 8, it's just as simple as plugging them in. Other OS's... I'm not sure.

If it doesn't show up, try going into your resolution settings and messing around in there and use "Extend these Displays"
    I currently do this with Vista and recall having done it with XP as well. If I remember correctly in XP I think I may have had to use GPU Software, but it was still extremely easy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use a triple model screen and i think its absolutly amazing and you should upgrade too a 3 screen

Warning: Please keeps posts relevant to the topic. The OP didn't ask about tri-screen setups.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2013-03-19 at 12:23 PM.

We use these at school n it really is useful for projects n stuff