RAM compatibility, slight difference

I got the recommended RAM from Marest's sample builds,

G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR

With that model number, and also got the often recommended motherboard,

Asrock Z77 Extreme4, and the RAM compatibility chart for that mobo is here:

text_because_I_can't_post_links:asrock.com/mb/memory.us.asp?Model=Z77%20Extreme4

When searching for the RAM, their chart only says this model number is compatible, F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2, and that is the low voltage version of what I got. It apparently costs 3 dollars more and runs 1.25 volts instead of 1.5 volts...

G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2

Does this kind of thing matter? Voltage differences do sound potentially bad ha. I'd assume both should work, but it would be really nice if Asrock listed both. Thanks for any information on this kind of thing!

It will most likely work, but I would go for the low voltage one if it's only that small of a price difference.

If that board can support 1.25v rams, i am pretty sure it can handle yours. Mostly the problem is with rams working under 1.5v.

Yeah, the price difference is tiny and I would have gone with the low voltage, problem is that I ordered everything last night and it's packaging now ha. This is more of a question of should I be ordering the other ones and planning on returning the first set when they come, which I'd rather not deal with.

If you already have ordered them just try it out. Ivy and Sandy bridge are specified to work with memory running up to 1.5V but less doesn't hurt.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The board should be able to support more, but damn. If that RAM is at 1.25v.... it has some SERIOUS overclocking potential!! 1600MHz@1.25v and it looks like it has a CAS Latency of 9, means you could OC that RAM pretty damn well. Perhaps get 2133MHz out at 1.5v. :3

I'd buy the 1.25v RAM, if anything, it will require less power. ^_<
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by rice037 View Post
    Yeah, the price difference is tiny and I would have gone with the low voltage, problem is that I ordered everything last night and it's packaging now ha. This is more of a question of should I be ordering the other ones and planning on returning the first set when they come, which I'd rather not deal with.
    Hey man, Sorry for bumping this but I have the exact same doubt about the ram difference/compatability and I cant PM you cuz I am new here. I wanted to ask whether you were able to work it out with F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR even though the board page says F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2.

Peace