Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Americans, I need your help! (travel wise)

Hey guys,

I'm planning on going to the states this summer and I'm thinking of ordering a ticket within the next few days, because I found a veeeery cheap ticket from here to NYC. It'll be a return ticket from NYC as well. I don't have a buttload of money, and I was thinking of staying there for 3 weeks time - meeting up with some people that I know from there and such. I also had a plan of taking a domestic flight from NYC to Orlando, because I wanna see the theme parks, go to the beach and get some sun. Though I was thinking if I should buy the domestic ticket now or can I just buy it when I'm over there? I'm just thinking security wise - and do the prices fluctuate a lot?

Also, there are plenty of hotel sites, but I was thinking of going to motels? Is that recommended for a turist or? Any tips of advices of where to stay, what to see etc. is appreciated.
    Last edited by aeir; 2021-05-22 at 08:12 PM.

Deleted
    If you don't have a lot of money, then I would put off visiting the USA for now. Theme parks are expensive places, as is the accommodation. Why not save your money and go next year instead when you have more funds? You will have more fun if you do not have to worry about running out of money.

Buying tickets on short notice can be more or less expensive, depending on the supply of tickets at that time. It's a gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    If you don't have a lot of money, then I would put off visiting the USA for now. Theme parks are expensive places, as is the accommodation. Why not save your money and go next year instead when you have more funds? You will have more fun if you do not have to worry about running out of money.
    Yeah this, also I wouldn't pick new york as a beach place, its kinda far north to be a beach going place.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Yeah this, also I wouldn't pick new york as a beach place, its kinda far north to be a beach going place.
    Minnesota has great beaches in the summer. While I cannot speak for NY in particular, we get hot and humid in the summer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_climate

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Minnesota has great beaches in the summer.
    Really?

/10char
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

My advice is just go with kayak the travel site or some other major sites that have not only hotel reviews but also motel . I have been to Orlando it's great but like any large city in the US you can get into a bad area real fast so I would stick close to the main area if possible but you can always ask a local cab driver to take you somewhere in a safe area im sure they will help . As an American even I would not travel with out everything being totally booked before I left . Orlando has some major events so you could get in town and not find a room anywhere !

Btw if you do go to Orlando don't go to disney world it sucks big time for an adult ...except animal kingdom ...personally I loved animal kingdom and city walk ....city walk is so much fun ...well for me anyways .

10+ Year Old Account
    You are gonna need to compare yourself. It will be expensive for sure, though. My want to consider another form of transport too.

Also, go to Six Flags instead of Disney. Atlanta has tons of flights and a six flags.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Really?

/10char
    Read the link I edited in. Even Canada does.

Read the link I edited in. Even Canada does.
    Well I have heard that each of the 10k lakes has at least 2 beaches so yeah...
    Gamdwelf the Mage

You'll want to buy any plane tickets 30 days in advance, the price can really go up if wait to long. Stay in the cheapest hotels/motels you find, it's not like you'll be there much anyways. But if I were you I would skip Orlando, NY is awesome and they have beaches you can go to in the summer. Maybe rent a car (we drive on the right side) and go to Atlantic City, Boston or even Washington DC.

I've been putting it off for so long now that I'm inclined to go now. Though I will bring around 2500 dollars to spend with me for accommodation and such.

Buying tickets on short notice can be more or less expensive, depending on the supply of tickets at that time. It's a gamble.
    Looked at the prices and they're around 100 dollars for a domestic flight.

Oh and as far as Disney goes, I was more thinking about universal studios and such.

THanks for the replies.

If you are anywhere near NYC or in Orlando, unless you are staying at a really shady motel in the shady part of town, you are going to need more than 2500 just for hotel/motel stays for 21 days. That doesn't cover food or the price of getting in to see what you want.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by aeir View Post
    I've been putting it off for so long now that I'm inclined to go now. Though I will bring around 2500 dollars to spend with me for accommodation and such.

Looked at the prices and they're around 100 dollars for a domestic flight.

Oh and as far as Disney goes, I was more thinking about universal studios and such.

THanks for the replies.
    That really is not enough, I can burn through that in a week in the USA if I wanted to go sightseeing.

This. If you buy a ticket an hour or two before take-off, you can sometimes get incredible deals.... but you also need to have a plan B because if you don´t get lucky, you an get really screwed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    If you are anywhere near NYC or in Orlando, unless you are staying at a really shady motel in the shady part of town, you are going to need more than 2500 just for hotel/motel stays for 21 days. That doesn't cover food or the price of getting in to see what you want.
    You can stay all around out skirts of Orlando for about $40 a night. I stayed in skeazier places for $30. Surely NYC will be the real money sink.

---------- Post added 2013-03-27 at 10:16 AM ----------

That really is not enough, I can burn through that in a week in the USA if I wanted to go sightseeing.
    I could also use that to see the nation. It is all what you want to do and what sort of accommodations you desire.

If you want to go out to eat for every meal and stay at 4-5 star hotels it would eat that 2500 up in a week. Hell, likely 2-3 stars in NYC.
    Last edited by Roose; 2013-03-27 at 03:17 PM.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    You can stay all around out skirts of Orlando for about $40 a night. I stayed in skeazier places for $30. Surely NYC will be the real money sink.

---------- Post added 2013-03-27 at 10:16 AM ----------

I could also use that to see the nation. It is all what you want to do and what sort of accommodations you desire.

If you want to go out to eat for every meal and stay at 4-5 star hotels it would eat that 2500 up in a week. Hell, likely 2-3 stars in NYC.
    Yeah, but that's the thing. I really don't mind going to places that aren't "best value". Though as far as NYC, I've gotten an offer for an entire month for around 1200 dollars for an apartment by some people that my family knows.

Deleted
    Yeah, but that's the thing. I really don't mind going to places that aren't "best value". Though as far as NYC, I've gotten an offer for an entire month for around 1200 dollars for an apartment by some people that my family knows.
    That sounds like a good deal, but bear in mind thats half your budget gone now.

10+ Year Old Account
    You would need more money to spend a month up there I would think.

Bottom line, NYC is possibly the most expensive place in the US. You will not get less for more anywhere else. Therefore, if you want to maximize your trip you will want to venture out from NYC as soon as possible. If you want a short, action packed trip, by all means spend a week in NYC. If you want to see as much as you can and stretch you money, you need to venture down south. Everything is cheaper. Atlanta would be a great hub.

May want to consider renting a car outside of NYC and driving down the coast. That would be a great trip. Best thing about America is that every time you cross a state border it is like a whole new experience.

People outside of the big cities will be much nicer and more hospitable as well. You get to the coastal cities and make friends and you will likely be hosted as long as you are a good guest. That means free place to stay and food.
    Last edited by Roose; 2013-03-27 at 03:30 PM.
    I like sandwiches

That sounds like a good deal, but bear in mind thats half your budget gone now.
    Yeah, and now I definitely see that I need more money. It's just that I come from a very expensive country, so I thought it would be a breeze to get there. Food and such is really cheap compared to here, but seeing as themeparks cost way more there than here. Do you reckon 5000 dollars would be enough? And keep in mind, I'm not going on some luxury trip. Going solo, to experience the American culture, see some things etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    You would need more money to spend a month up there I would think.

Bottom line, NYC is possibly the most expensive place in the US. You will not get less for more anywhere else. Therefore, if you want to maximize your trip you will want to venture out from NYC as soon as possible. If you want a short, action packed trip, by all means spend a week in NYC. If you want to see as much as you can and stretch you money, you need to venture down south. Everything is cheaper. Atlanta would be a great hub.
    Yeah, that was the plan too. I'm kind of confounded as where and how, but I've gotten a clearer idea of how things are.