Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Can we make a rule to not have this same exact thread pop up every other day?

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddlesnarf View Post
    Can we make a rule to not have this same exact thread pop up every other day?
    God says he will save countless kittens to make this a sticky.

You have to realize the many factors in play, the thing is not that WoW is so much better than all other alternatives, its not at all, the thing is time invested and not wanting to lose it all, both socially and in the characters, to start all over again in a completely new environment and having to learn a whole new game is what keeps WoW up, that and the alternatives being released in beta phases doesnt help, but mostly isnt due to it being so superior as one may think at first.

So short answer is no, doesnt matter if it is wow or if it were any other mmo, people have too much to lose by switching to a new mmo so they dont.

A game that surpasses it, yes of course. No game can maintain its top position forever. EverQuest was top dog until WoW came along. WoW will have its new game that surpasses it by capturing player interest, imagination, etc.

It will not be a game that's built on WoW's model and core design. A WoW Clone can't trump WoW.

But eventually we'll get new technology that further allows a developer to make an MMO that feels more like truly being in a fantasy world and does a better job of hiding the "game mechanics" of playing the game.

And, of course, we can always hope to see a fully VR MMO in our lifetimes, but dunno if we'll get there any time soon.

In number of concurrent players/subs? I doubt it... WoW "went viral" so to speak, and I don't think that kind of phenomena will happen again in the MMORPG market.
    WoW hit a sweet spot near the dawn of MMORPGs going "mainstream", the MMORPG space on the market was expanding rapidly relative to WoW expanding (in players), but now that market has "hit its cap" of concurrent users. From this point players are spreading out over different MMOs instead of all going to WoW as 'the' MMO.
    The kind of opportunity on which WoW's success was built likely won't happen in the MMO market again, so there likely will never be another MMORPG that will can have that number of players.

If you're talking about quality/fun though, there's plenty of "better" MMOs that have "defeated" WoW already.

Well, WoW will have to end eventually... But I can't see another MMO overtaking it in subs any time soon, no.

WoW was not the first MMORPG, but it was the first that was fairly easy to get into. I doubt there's ever going to be as successful MMORPG.

Many big names have been hailed as WoW killers and well, you see how that went down.

Honestly if a name as big as Star Wars can barely even put a dent in WoW's momentum, I don't think anything will defeat it outright.

I think it is more likely that MMOs as a whole will fall off, than that WoW will get replaced in popularity by another MMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could you clarify what do you mean by defeating wow? (Subscription based) MMORPG that will some day have more players than wow at one point (which was 12 million, I think)? If yes, then that will most definately happen at some point, thanks to ever growing population and internet connection/computers becoming more and more common in many places. As wow grows older and older, it will be replaced by something else, by Blizzard or someone else.

Or do you mean a MMORPG that makes majority of wow players suddenly go to that new game instead? That would be no for various reasons, most important being the new game not being wow.

Only thing that will "kill" wow would be Blizzard themselves, either by implementing something so stupid that people immediately leave, yet still crave for an MMORPG, or killing the servers. I don't see either happening.
    Last edited by Santti; 2013-04-07 at 05:45 PM.

after playing a few beta's as of late. Not gonna break any NDA and mention any names. Yes. Wow is on its final days. There will ofc be many of those that wont admitt the game they played for the last 5+ years is going to end.. But trust me, it is. Already 2 much better mmo's in the making.

Problem atm is as stated over here. Ppl are way to attached to their chars to swap to a better game. So they stick with the old shit they know.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    EQ defined what the MMORPG genre would be and WoW perfected it. Sad that people don't remember the impact that EverQuest had.
    In some ways EQ still had some better facets than WoW and WoW has actually not perfected the MMORPG, they've watered it down and gave rise to the MMOG. Pretty much all aspects of RP related involvement have been removed for a more straightforward "arcade game with RP stat elements" now.

---------- Post added 2013-04-07 at 05:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    after playing a few beta's as of late. Not gonna break any NDA and mention any names. Yes. Wow is on its final days. There will ofc be many of those that wont admitt the game they played for the last 5+ years is going to end.. But trust me, it is. Already 2 much better mmo's in the making.

Problem atm is as stated over here. Ppl are way to attached to their chars to swap to a better game. So they stick with the old shit they know.
    What better MMO is on the market? You're statements disregard your beta claim and suggest players already refuse to play better games for the "old shit they know."

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW is too big to fall. Only way to "Kill" WoW is to re-define the MMO genre, which isn't that easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorice View Post
    WoW is too big to fall.
    Does that mean they will get a government bailout if they are in danger of collapsing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post

Quite the statement to say that some games are better than others, which will make wow disappear for being the inferior one. Have you considered that maybe not everyone will share your opinion on what is considered a good game?

Quote Originally Posted by Tipzett View Post
    well that sucks, but if they continue like they do now, they will kill it in a year or so..
    lol if you say so

OT: No, nothing is going to kill WoW other than when blizz decides it isn't profitable anymore and moves on to other projects (warcraft 4 anyone?)
    Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 4527-7566-5852. PM if you add me.

Deleted
    Need an MMO by a big name developer with game changing end game content. Most MMOs these days are 1 month wonders.

I thought either Gw2 or SWTOR had a very good shot at dethroning wow as having the most active members ..( 9.5 million or so ) however of course Gw2 has almost no end game and is frustrating to some people in other ways ...and SWTOR had a game engine which required people to have " gaming " computers to be able to play ...until someone makes a AAA caliber game you can play on a 400$ walmart out of the box computer or laptop wow is going to remain where it is because that is the thing with wow ....you can play it on almost any computer or laptop .

My bet is seriously is going to Wildstar to either dethrone wow or take a super massive hit to wow's sub numbers ...the game is visually similar but has many many game mechanics wow does not have or does better ..for example people have been begging Blizz for years for player housing but players always get " we cant do that we dont have the tech ....etc etc meanwhile they add Cross realm zones ...something nobody asked for or wanted ...and Wildstar is not only doing player houses but doing it amazingly well ...20 and 40 man epic raids ...better combat then wow ,and the game will easily be portable to a console which will bring in an even bigger audience .
    Last edited by Elite Peon; 2013-04-07 at 06:32 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Wow Is going to destroy wow.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Why does there need to be one? This isn't a sports competition.
    You're right, this isn't a sports competition, it is a dick measuring contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Fix'd.

And as for the topic at hand, I think it's either a personal question, or one based upon WoW's longevity and popularity.

Personal opinion: No. I have never tried to find a replacement since I love WoW with all my heart
    You never cease to amaze. I remember when I skimmed these forums and you were frothing out the mouth for GW2, you completely thought it was the alpha and omega, and when your unrealistic expectations were smashed, you scampered back to WoW and took them with you.

To believe you would even put down both WildStar and GW2, which I may add is doing great, leaves me to believe you haven't the faintest clue as to what hypocrisy means.

Never a dull moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Alceus View Post
    WoW is more than a game. It covers generation(s?) with its culture. I won't easily forget the fun times I had with the community and alike.
    Similar, if not the same, was said about Everquest.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixxy View Post
    No king rules forever, my son.

Those betas can join the ranks of
    Guild Wars 2
    Star Wars: The Old Republic (May be pushing it with this one)
    Rift
    and all of the other supposed WoW killers people promised would kill WoW.
    I know, such a terrible fate to be successful.

Play whatever you want and enjoy it. Pretty crazy how that is a difficult concept for most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Me personally.
    I
    do not
    give a fuck.

I personally find WoW boring as hell.

I don't mind if a new developer released a game despite having a lower population, I find fun. Why go after the big when you can carve a niche for yourself and make a name that way. Most developers these days are doing just that.
    A game doesn't need sky high numbers to be profitable, and when it's sustainable and gain it's name for what it's doing, it'll grow naturally without having to appeal to a greater mass. Eve is just a great example of this.
    You may have just opened pandora's box. The WoW community is on the same toxic level, if not surpassing, the Xbox live and League of Legends communities. This thread is a pretty good example of that, if not this whole site.
    Last edited by A Challenger!; 2013-04-07 at 06:48 PM.