10+ Year Old Account

Feedback on Encounter Mechanics/Ideas

Hello there. First of all, I wasn't entirely sure where to put this thread, so I thought I would put it with Raid&Dungeons (mods feel free to move to appropriate area), since that's technically what all this is about. In my free time I like to work on encounters, not necessarily WoW encounters but definitely in a WoW-like setting and w/ WoW inspiration. I am not a game design student, although that would be something I would enjoy pursuing. Having said that, I would like some feedback/ideas to on some of the encounters I have completed so far. I have 2 tiers worth of raid encounters finished (1st tier = 5 boss raid, 6 boss raid, and 3 boss raid; 2nd tier = 10 encounter raid). The health/damage is roughly on par with what health/damage would have been like around vanilla WoW (roughly).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raid: The Forgotten Cliffs (2nd Tier Raid)
    Bosses: 10 Total
    Boss #1: The Archadian
    Raid: Forgotten Cliffs
    Hp: 1.32 million (25 man)
    Phases: 2

Phase 1:

Lockdown - The Archadian remains active but unable to receive or deal damage during Lockdown, which lasts 3 minutes; during this time, the secondary defensive mechanisms set-up in the room attack players instead

Secondary Vault Defenses

Archaic Matrix - Several large runes appear on the ground, and after 8 seconds will detonate, dealing 900 arcane damage to all players within 30 yards; the runes will not detonate if all runes are occupied by players prior to detonation

Unstable Energy Field - The walls of the room release clouds of energy that hover around, dealing 300 arcane damage per second to players; each cloud dissipates after 11 seconds and will leave behind an Unstable Vapor Pool

Unstable Vapor Pool - This highly reactive energy forms on the ground, reducing the health of anything standing in it by 80% and increasing its chance to be critically struck by 50% while in it

Energetic Force Wave - The walls surrounding the room will occasionally release a forceful wave in a targeted direction, dealing 450 nature damage every 2 seconds to targets in its path and carrying those hit until they are out of its way

Null Power Sphere - Occasionally, energy pockets from the room will coalesce into spheres that null nearby life, reducing damage dealt of everything around it by 99%; spheres can be destroyed but doing so deals 700 arcane damage to all players within 100 yards

Vault Construct

Vault Construct - After 15 seconds, and every 45 seconds afterwards, an ancient construct will activate and Fixate on the closest enemy; this construct has Reinforced Plating to protect itself; the construct has 500k health

Reinforced Plating - Reduces chance to be critically struck by 40% and negates the effect of taunts and immediate threat gains

Iron Smash - Deals 125% normal damage to the constructs closest target and reduces its armor by 15% for 12 seconds; stacks up to 10 times

Instability - Every 1% health missing increases the construct's physical damage dealt by 1%; at 30% health remaining, the construct loses Reinforced Plating

Shockwave - Every 9 seconds, the construct sends forth a destructive shockwave in its frontal direction, dealing 900 physical damage to those in the path and stunning for 3 seconds

Phase 2:

Obliteration - The Archadian is empowered with unimaginable power, causing its melee attacks to deal 15k physical damage, split amongst all targets within its melee range

Countdown Sequence - Fifteen seconds after the Archadian exits Lockdown mode, it begins to count down the time until it will use Extinguish Life

Extinguish Life - After the 4 minute countdown, the Archadian can use this ability, which deals 5k shadow damage to all players; this pierces all immunities, resistances, and absorption effects

Supercharged Beam - The Archadian targets a player and fixates a powerful beam on them, dealing 200 fire damage every 2 seconds for 8 seconds to both them and all players within 6 yards of that player

Empowered Armor Scraps - Remnants of the fallen Vault Constructs will contain empowered scraps of their armor; each one can be activated once to place a barrier that absorbs up to 10k physical damage and reduce damage taken thereafter by 50% for 5 seconds

Power Smash - Deals 2k physical damage to all players in front of the Archadian and increasing physical damage taken by those hit by 25% for 15 seconds

Lore Description: While little is known about the inhabitants of these ancient halls, it is said that at one point in time a tremendously gifted and powerful magus wandered these halls. His secrets, however, had to be kept a secret from the world. These ancient vaults contain numerous defensive mechanisms, and none of them more dangerous than the fable titan-constructed Archadian. This ancient construct now lingers in the vaults, ready to halt any intrusion.

Inspiration: This encounter doesn't really have any encounter from WoW that I tried to base it off of, but it definitely uses mechanics from some WoW encounters (the damage split among all players). The boss would probably resemble Archaedus.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone is interested I can p/m more of my encounters or ideas (or post more in this thread), and again any feedback is extremely helpful to me in determining how well done this encounter is. Thanks!
    Last edited by Crestt; 2013-04-07 at 03:26 AM.
    Favorite Owned Title: Champion of Ulduar
    Favorite Owned Mount: Ashes of Al'ar
    "Prisoners? Ha. With it bindings unshackled, its gonna' come after us, and we're going to be the prisoners" -- Brann Bronzebeard on Yogg'saron