Using Weakauras to track distance from Battle Standard.

Hello.

I was wondering if there was a way to make Weakauras track my distance from my Battle Standard of Coordenation. Maybe something like displaying a warning when I'm about to move out of range or preferably to just show my distance in yards.

If this is hard/not possible to do, is there another addon out there who can do the trick?

Would apreciate any help with this.

Deleted
    afaik not possible. They actively took measures against range-checking mods.
    What is possible is to check range indirect by whether a skill is usable or not.
    Last edited by mmoc1be018301a; 2013-04-05 at 08:02 PM.

Deleted
    Tracking distance from your battle standard (ie you dropped it) is very much possible.
    Not sure if WeakAuras is suited for that job.

Tracking distance from a battle standard might be possible if it's a target-able object.
    If not then no.
    It would also be possible to track distance from someone else's dropped battle standard if both were using an addon specifically designed for the task and utilizing addon communication to transmit the coordinates.

There are no measures against range-checking mods, previous poster must be getting confused with the camera restrictions (inability for addons to know camera facing)

Anyway, that's to say such an addon is very much possible to make but I'm not aware of an existing one.

Testing for ranges other than 40 yards is a pain. You have UnitInRange for that, but it doesn't return specific distances (other than 40 yards). Browsing through the BigWigs proximity plugin leads me to believe that range-checking is a rather complicated endeavor that varies from map to map.

You COULD use weakauras to track the buff it gives, but if you go out of range the banner despawns. So that's sort of useless.

tldr: technically possible, quite hard
    Last edited by piefayth; 2013-04-05 at 08:40 PM.

Deleted
    Actually i though they removed all api functions to get locations of units beside the player.
    If you can tell me how you get coords from other units i would be very gratefull
    Last edited by mmoc1be018301a; 2013-04-05 at 08:40 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bt4 View Post
    Actually i though they removed all api functions to get locations of units beside the player.
    If you can tell me how you get coords from other units i would be very gratefull
    GetPlayerMapPosition(unit) (where unit is a valid unitID like "player", "target", "focus", "partyx", "raidx" etc) gives x,y coordinates.
    You then do math to find distance (not as simple, map scaling comes in but that's the gist of things)

For units that don't resolve to a valid unitID (for example another player, that's not in your party/raid and not targeted or focused) they'd both need to run an addon that gets their own coordinates and transmits them with SendAddonMessage().

For standard you'd watch for SPELL_CAST_SUCCESS with the spellID we care for and get the coordinates, transmit them to other users of the addon.

Edit: As for range checking using other API (not coordinates) this library uses a multitude of methods to give an approximation.
    LibRangeCheck-2.0
    Last edited by mmocb2ea88a996; 2013-04-05 at 09:02 PM.

Deleted
    Some warrior should simply test this with /script print(GetPlayerMapPosition("target")) while targeting your battle standard, if output is 0,0 it does not work, anything else is success. (dont stand ontop of it)

edit:
    another problem will be z axis which is of course not part of map position. You will miscalculate distance on uneven ground.
    Last edited by mmoc1be018301a; 2013-04-05 at 09:42 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    You could probably use tomtom to do something like this. Basically making a macro to set a waypoint when and where you drop the banner. Then just use the waypoint arrow's range feature.

Quote Originally Posted by bt4 View Post
    Some warrior should simply test this with /script print(GetPlayerMapPosition("target")) while targeting your battle standard, if output is 0,0 it does not work, anything else is success. (dont stand ontop of it)

edit:
    another problem will be z axis which is of course not part of map position. You will miscalculate distance on uneven ground.
    I don't think you entirely understand what Drii is saying. It doesn't matter if you can retrieve the position of the banner when you can retrieve the position of the person who set it instead.

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer

The Tomtom tip was great. Can't believe I didn't think of that. Thanks for all the replies

Quote Originally Posted by Evián View Post
    You could probably use tomtom to do something like this. Basically making a macro to set a waypoint when and where you drop the banner. Then just use the waypoint arrow's range feature.
    Brilliant! Been trying to solve this problem for a while now, been under my nose all this time! Cheers