Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lag in WoW? Please help.

Hey guys, I always build my own computers and have never been able to run WoW on max settings/ultra. I have an AMD quad core processor. Can't remember exact type but it is not an FX processor. I have 8 GB of ram as well. The graphics card I did have was an ATI Radeon 6970 2GB and I was only able to run settings around fair with sunshafts, SSAO and shadows on low. I recently upgraded to an Nvidia GTX 660ti and I am still only able to run it on fair in 25 man raids and RBGs but even in any environment it never runs completely smooth. In 25 man and most bgs I only get around 30-40 fps with drops down to around 15 in big fights. Also my graphics seem to freeze sometimes when hunters pop lynx rush.

I have the money to purchase an Intel i7 and a new mobo but do you think that it will help? The mono and processor I looked at is on the higher end with the processor at around 329 and the mono at 249. Like I said money isn't the issue. Just want to be able to run WoW on ultra no matter what it takes.

Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Find out what actual CPU you have, first off. After that it may just be determining what settings you need.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    WoW is CPU limited in 25man raids and generally GPU limited when out of raids in the open world. If you're getting a big FPS drop in combat it's most likely due to the CPU.

And you HAVE run tests by disabling any/all addons you have, right? Right after MoP launch, and also after 5.2 I started getting a lot of video lag that would often drop my framerate to a crawl if not outright disabling me for ten seconds at a time. And it was all due to my addons (the biggest offenders in my case, oddly enough were a nameplate mod, the wowhead DB addon, and recount)

Hey, I was not at home last night but checked this morning. My processor right now is an AMD Athlon II X4 640 processor 3.00 GHz. I have not turned off all addons but I do not use that many. The only ones I use are tellmewhen and bg targets. Most of my keys are macros and all I do is pvp + lfr. I will however try it though.

I have massive fps issues since mop. 25 man content drops as low as 1fps..... Basically unplayable. I have dualled screened and watched resources, my CPU is a Q6600 and during the huge lag the processor never goes over 35% use.
    I have 4gb ram and a HD5850 card which plays other games absolutely fine. All drivers etc are up to date. It is something with wow and the constant blaming of addons is getting rather dull. I have disabled addons and still have problem...also default blizz UI is awful. I could not raid (not LFR) without them.

Quote Originally Posted by 2drunk2funk View Post
    I have massive fps issues since mop. 25 man content drops as low as 1fps..... Basically unplayable. I have dualled screened and watched resources, my CPU is a Q6600 and during the huge lag the processor never goes over 35% use.
    I have 4gb ram and a HD5850 card which plays other games absolutely fine. All drivers etc are up to date. It is something with wow and the constant blaming of addons is getting rather dull. I have disabled addons and still have problem...also default blizz UI is awful. I could not raid (not LFR) without them.
    There is nothing wrong with WoW. I logged yesterday in WoW and I had excellent performance as always at 1920X1080 ULTRA, single monitor. My CPU is a November 2007 Core 2 Extreme QX 9650, a re-labeled Xeon Harpertown and my GPU a GTX 580 SOC.

This goes both for you and the OP: Before you upgrade, see that you:

1. Overclock your CPU around 4 GHz.
    2. Overclock your memory to the highest stable setting your board will allow.
    3. Adjust your tRD setting (Google tRD setting) through Memset software if your board does not allow.
    4. Make sure you have the game installed in separate hard disk partition with nothing else in it, make sure that your hard drive is defragmented
    5. If you don't already, get 4GB+ physical memory. 8GB recommended if you work with Windows 64bit.
    6. If you have two HDD's make sure that your virtual memory is set to that HDD which does not contain the Windows partition.

After you do all the above, come back here and tell us how's your experience. My CPU is overclocked to 3.95 GHz atm, and everything rolls nice and smooth. Overclock.net link to my rig is in my signature.

Edit: Also, see that you update your GPU drivers to the latest release.
    Last edited by Sturmbringe; 2013-04-07 at 06:19 PM.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    There is nothing wrong with WoW. I logged yesterday in WoW and I had excellent performance as always at 1920X1080 ULTRA, single monitor. My CPU is a November 2007 Core 2 Extreme QX 9650, a re-labeled Xeon Harpertown and my GPU a GTX 580 SOC.

This goes both for you and the OP: Before you upgrade, see that you:

1. Overclock your CPU around 4 GHz.
    2. Overclock your memory to the highest stable setting your board will allow.
    3. Adjust your tRD setting (Google tRD setting) through Memset software if your board does not allow.
    4. Make sure you have the game installed in separate hard disk partition with nothing else in it, make sure that your hard drive is defragmented
    5. If you don't already, get 4GB+ physical memory. 8GB recommended if you work with Windows 64bit.
    6. If you have two HDD's make sure that your virtual memory is set to that HDD which does not contain the Windows partition.

After you do all the above, come back here and tell us how's your experience. My CPU is overclocked to 3.95 GHz atm, and everything rolls nice and smooth. Overclock.net link to my rig is in my signature.

Edit: Also, see that you update your GPU drivers to the latest release.
    You again?
    We get it, you're a proud owner of that Core2Extreme, and you like to show off the fact that you seemingly can run wow 1080p Ultra at exellent performance.
    Could you please go spread misinformation elsewhere? I'm getting quite tired of this.

I've seen no reports of rigs running WoW at 1080p full ultra settings in 25 mans with solid 60 fps, and I highly doubt your "Core 2 Extreme QX 9650" does that either.

Thanks for the time you put in the typing of your post, but I'm advising you to just stop making posts like that, you're not making a good name for yourself.

On topic:
    AMD's have never proven to be good performers for WoW, and my Phenom II X4 965, even OC'd to 4GHz, belongs to that group.
    Upgrading would probably help you a lot, but you'll have to be more specific on what hardware you're running.

Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    You again?
    We get it, you're a proud owner of that Core2Extreme, and you like to show off the fact that you seemingly can run wow 1080p Ultra at exellent performance.
    Could you please go spread misinformation elsewhere? I'm getting quite tired of this.

I've seen no reports of rigs running WoW at 1080p full ultra settings in 25 mans with solid 60 fps, and I highly doubt your "Core 2 Extreme QX 9650" does that either.

Thanks for the time you put in the typing of your post, but I'm advising you to just stop making posts like that, you're not making a good name for yourself.

On topic:
    AMD's have never proven to be good performers for WoW, and my Phenom II X4 965, even OC'd to 4GHz, belongs to that group.
    Upgrading would probably help you a lot, but you'll have to be more specific on what hardware you're running.
    ...I never said that I am running 25 mans 1920X1080 at 60 FPS. This is what you and your buddies accuse me of saying. I did say however, that my CPU is perfectly capable of running a 25 man raid smoothly, 1920X1080 ULTRA reaching at least 54.8 FPS (not constantly) and I have posted a screenshot to prove it, and so are most Core 2 CPUS when overclocked, properly tuned, and running on a decent GPU.

Screenshot here: http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/6...rnshot1102.jpg

I find your behaviour quite inappropriate since I have offered 100% sound advice and never said what you accuse me of, and I am now reporting you for trolling. Should you, or anyone else, continue with this behaviour in the future I will keep reporting them.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

10+ Year Old Account
    ...I never said that I am running 25 mans 1920X1080 at 60 FPS. This is what you and your buddies accuse me of saying. I did say however, that my CPU is perfectly capable of running a 25 man raid smoothly, 1920X1080 ULTRA reaching at least 54.8 FPS (not constantly) and I have posted a screenshot to prove it, and so are most Core 2 CPUS when overclocked, properly tuned, and running on a decent GPU.

I find your behaviour quite inappropriate since I have offered 100% sound advice and never said what you accuse me of, and I am now reporting you for trolling. Should you, or anyone else, continue with this behaviour in the future I will keep reporting them.
    Care to tell my why the screenshot is in 1280x720?
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by CheezusCrust View Post
    Care to tell my why the screenshot is in 1280x720?
    Because I uploaded it at this resolution on Image Shack.US. I have got the original of that screenshot and it is at 1920X1080. The max resolution that Image Shack US allows is 1600X1200.

Deleted
    OP,
    any chance you could download CPU-Z and check the exact type of cpu and motherboard? (however i got a feeling that the mobo isn't going to usefull to be matched with a newer chip)

Deleted

So you provide 1, 720p screenshot showing 54,8 FPS, with doubtfull "ultra" settings (Looking at shadows in particular) and call it a day?
    Come back with actual footage or multiple screenshots of a high intensity boss fight and then we'll talk.

I'm glad you feel happy reporting me for trolling by the way. It's quite ironic you out of all people should do that considering the ammount of misinformation you spread around these forums without any solid evidence to back your own statements.
    Last edited by mmocf3173aaef6; 2013-04-07 at 07:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because I uploaded it at this resolution on Image Shack.US. I have got the original of that screenshot and it is at 1920X1080. The max resolution that Image Shack US allows is 1600X1200.
    How come I just uploaded a picture in 2560x1440 then?
    http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/1...te2013040z.jpg
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

So you provide 1, 720p screenshot showing 54,8 FPS, with doubtfull "ultra" settings (Looking at shadows in particular) and call it a day?
    Come back with actual footage or multiple screenshots of a high intensity boss fight and then we'll talk.
    I am not interested in talking to you, and what is more, nobody has appointed you judge of anything, much less judge of my CPU's performance. I am the sole judge of that, and in the interest of good faith, I have provided screenshots to back up my CPU's performance.

The performance my CPU offers at 1920X1080 ULTRA is good enough for my Rogue to top the DPS meters, and like I said before, any 5 year old mid to high end system when properly tuned, overclocked to around 4GHz and matched with a modern GPU, will produce similar results.

---------- Post added 2013-04-07 at 07:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by CheezusCrust View Post
    How come I just uploaded a picture in 2560x1440 then?
    http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/1...te2013040z.jpg
    I don't know, tell me how you did it so I can do it too.

Deleted
    I am not interested in talking to you, and what is more, nobody has appointed you judge of anything.
    That's why this is a forum open for discussion.
    There's people out there in the world who actually question information they read on the internet.
    If that information is wrong, especially in a closed forum environment as MMO-Champion where a lot of people here consider eachother friends, we tend to correct that, or question the provider of said information to prove it's valid.

The performance my CPU offers at 1920X1080 ULTRA is good enough for my Rogue to top the DPS meters.
    That is highly subjective. Our rogue topped dps in Wotlk at 15 fps.

any 5 year old mid to high end system when properly tuned, overclocked to around 4GHz and matched with a modern GPU, will produce similar results.
    Oddly enough, my AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 4GHz and AMD HD 6950 @ 910/1300/1.2v doesn't even pull 40 fps in 25 man fights.

Not trying to pick a fight here, but man, if you're not open minded and don't want to contribute to the forums then why bother. It seems to me you rather enjoy yourself pissing off people by making statements like that.

That is highly subjective. Our rogue topped dps in Wotlk at 15 fps.
    No it is not, no class can top the DPS meters at 15 FPS. My topping the DPS meters with my Rogue pretty much proves that the performance I get out of my system is excellent.

BTW, here's the screenie uploaded at Imageshack US "without resize". WoW takes screensots at a resolution of 1705X909 and size 1.45 megabytes.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/9315/fdfdfdz.jpg

No it is not, no class can top the DPS meters at 15 FPS. My topping the DPS meters with my Rogue pretty much proves that the performance I get out of my system is excellent.
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/bi6rd...=7262#Adrastos

Warrior in my guild, Ranked nr1 in the world with a Pentium 4 and a AGP GPU.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    Because you have recently switched to an nVidia GPU, I am going to suggest that you download the GeForce Experience Control Panel here. It will scan your system for all games, once you specify where they are located. Upon going through and opening each, it will collect your current in-game video settings, and then recommend any changes to improve performance. I use it for WoW, D3, and World of Tanks.

Ever since I started using it, I have seen a dramatic improvement in my Framerate, at 1920x1080 connected to a 40" via HDMI.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.37GHz
    RAM: 4GB
    GPU: nVidia GeForce GT520 1GB DDR3/Total available Graphics memory is 2.8GB
    - Driver version 314.22
    - CUDA Cores 48
    - Graphics Clock 810MHz
    - Processor Clock 1620MHz
    - Memory Data Rate 1200MHZ

However, when I play on LINUX/Zorin 6, my framerate drops dramatically, from 40+ (in 5man on Win7) to roughly 10-20+FPS.

I should also mention I am addon heavy.
    Last edited by Twest; 2013-04-07 at 08:45 PM. Reason: correct a typo

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/bi6rd...=7262#Adrastos

Warrior in my guild, Ranked nr1 in the world with a Pentium 4 and a AGP GPU.
    I have got a Pentium 4 Northwood too at 2.8 GHz.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/9...pboard01tz.jpg

The video card is an AGP Nividia GeForce4 460 Go.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce4go.html

My Pentium 4 produces 9-11 FPS, 1024X768, sitting at Darnassus AH and posting auctions. Since Adrastos is doing it right and we are doing it wrong, why don't you ask him how can I make my Pentium 4 produce more than 11 FPS.