Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Children should do as much as they can without destroying their own lives, but sometimes that is not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    Youthful ignorance, i suppose - if you wish to smarten it up.

Her future is pretty much damaged, but from what i've read - she's from a reasonable wealthy family, so that's something.
    It sucks to be sure, and I do place some blame on parents. I mean wtf there is NO reason to have kids on the internet outside of research for school work.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Kid does something stupid, gets caught 3 years later due to the magic of the internet. Case closed. She deserves it, and should be thankful for the lessons that she can learn from the experience. Maybe it will teach other children not to be morons on the internet so that parental groups don't eventually pressure governments to turn the internet into an adults only club.
    Thing is that she's now learnt a lesson that so many other people are going to look at and in their vernacular say "aww dats well bad" but probably do nothing about. The question I have, is even though you can deactivate your accounts, does that clean up the paper trail behind you? I thought it didn't but I'm questioning it now. Reason for asking is that sure you can deactivate and mask it but is everything behind it gone? There's got to be a way to see through the shroud for a determined individual, at which point merely deleting the account will not cover and what you post, stays.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoranon
    What happened to freedom of speech? Beeing investigated for something you wrote on the internet when you were 14, seriously?
    I think it's more the nature of the tweets. Granted they were from when she's 14 but they were about drinking and being drunk and her being a racist, so on so forth. Raises questions to begin with. Stupid tweets are one thing but illegal actions are another.

I still think this whole youth PCC thing was a ridiculous idea anyway. A 17 year old involved in politics... bad idea. You just finish your GCSE's, you don't have A levels yet and you sure as hell don't have any life experience. Whilst you can read and learn about past political events and take experience and opinions from them, you lack the broader range to lead yourself and repeat what you've seen.

You just can't have a representative that doesn't embody (or at least show in all public areas) what your group wants and what your group is like. Doesn't matter when it was done but having that looming over your back is a hell of a skeleton in the closet. They've got to be held to some standards and I personally don't see why those standards shouldn't be the same as the real thing. What I do strongly disagree with though was making this national news on BBC. They should have dealt with it quietly to spare the poor girl, save both herself and the PCC rubbish a lot of embarrassment. Not that anyone cares about the PCC let alone the youth one but this has done nothing but be bad PR for it.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never liked the idea that how you act in your personal life should hold any relevance to your professional life. More and more as communication is shoved down the masses throats, people are becoming nosier and nosier. People need to learn to mind their own business. Something I said 5 years ago haunting me now could be unfair as I may have been ignorant at the time and have learned better by now. I am not the same person I was 10 years ago, if my boss knew who I was back then, he might not have hired me last year.

But that information is not relevant to my professional life. Hence, I have a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    At 14 years of age, one should know exactly what it is flying of their mouths (or keyboards).
    The ignorance would be thinking that the stupid shit will be lost in the ether of the inter webs.

Deleted
    God you should've checked out my MSN when I was 14.

This is complete bullshit, she was 14 when she wrote those tweets.

People grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I never liked the idea that how you act in your personal life should hold any relevance to your professional life.

Yeh that convicted pedophile should totally get the job at a daycare.

Employers have EVERY right to not hire or fire you for doing shit in your personal life that can embarrass the company, or is contrary to the company's beliefs. IE a satanist working at Hobby Lobby.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTheHoe View Post
    God you should've checked out my MSN when I was 14.

This is complete bullshit, she was 14 when she wrote those tweets.

People grow up.
    It was 3 years ago, she won't have changed that much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    I think it's more the nature of the tweets. Granted they were from when she's 14 but they were about drinking and being drunk and her being a racist, so on so forth. Raises questions to begin with.
    When I was 14, I was quite racist. I also drank under age.

I'm 31 now, I am 100% against racism, and I do not condone under age drinking. If someone found old AOL Chat messages from when I was 14, would it haunt me today?

Life is funny, year by year each person learns more and more. Their opinions change as they become wiser and better educated in the ways of the world. Even 3 years (14 - 17) can make a HUGE difference in the way someone sees the world.

As I said before, personal lives and professional lives should not be intertwined. Unless you are carrying your personal issues into your professional life, then it is no ones business how act behind closed doors.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    In a person of that age, i disagree - people change all the time at that age, but for your argument it's actually correct.

The tweets ranged from the ages of 14-16 (Ergo, she stopped when she realized how stupid they were - and just before she applied for the position)

Deleted
    I swear Twitter and Facebook cause more shit for people than they are worth.

When I was 14, I was quite racist. I also drank under age.

I'm 31 now, I am 100% against racism, and I do not condone under age drinking. If someone found old AOL Chat messages from when I was 14, would it haunt me today?

Life is funny, year by year each person learns more and more. Their opinions change as they become wiser and better educated in the ways of the world. Even 3 years (14 - 17) can make a HUGE difference in the way someone sees the world.

As I said before, personal lives and professional lives should not be intertwined. Unless you are carrying your personal issues into your professional life, then it is no ones business how act behind closed doors.

Talking about a public figure that had lots of competition. Lets take the kid with the racist tweets who talked about drinking and drugs or the other candidate who didn't tweet that dumb stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I was 14 I was playing with action figures. When I was 17 I was hanging out at the mall with girls.

I'd say there was some pretty big changes between 8th grade and junior year of highschool. Would you allow a 14 year old to drive? I got my license at 17, if there is no maturity difference and no greater sense of responsibility...?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTheHoe View Post
    I swear Twitter and Facebook cause more shit for people than they are worth.
    There is a perception that the internet anonymity provides protection, it lowers your social boundaries - so much so, this often occurs.

It's been responsible for assisting in toppling dictators, slipping countries into civil war - and circumventing the great wall of china (the block). It SHOULD be recognized as VERY dangerous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    Talking about a public figure that had lots of competition. Lets take the kid with the racist tweets who talked about drinking and drugs or the other candidate who didn't tweet that dumb stuff.
    Or not consider their personal history and look at their professional accomplishments? The fact that "Tom" likes to dress as a woman and spank men dressed as babies in diapers should not reflect whether he can balance a state budget.

Deleted
    I'm going out for a bit, but please - continue discussing this, just remember to keep to the guidelines.

See ya soon.

(Au revoir!)

15+ Year Old Account
    I think its pretty rediculous that she's being forced to resign for something that happened when she was 13. I think the paper that dug up the info is a bunch of asshats too

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    There is a perception that the internet anonymity provides protection, it lowers your social boundaries - so much so, this often occurs.

It's been responsible for assisting in toppling dictators, slipping countries into civil war - and circumventing the great wall of china (the block). It SHOULD be recognized as VERY dangerous.
    It also causes a lot of shit on Jeremy Kyle.

Deleted
    When I was 14 I was playing with action figures. When I was 17 I was hanging out at the mall with girls.

I'd say there was some pretty big changes between 8th grade and junior year of highschool. Would you allow a 14 year old to drive? I got my license at 17, if there is no maturity difference and no greater sense of responsibility...?
    You were still playing with action figures at 14?

10+ Year Old Account
    You were still playing with action figures at 14?
    Hell Yeah I was!