Some help with this question for my politics class

According to your textbook, "Threats to global life systems such as global warming, ozone depletion, and the loss of tropical forests and marine habitats are just as important to the future of humankind as the threat of nuclear catastrophe."

Is global environmental degradation a security issue with consequences as far-reaching as those entailed by the traditional concept of national security? Why, or why not?

As you discuss this issue, please support your arguments with information you have found in your course readings as well as from sources other than your textbook.

Whatever sources you use, please cite them.

No idea where to even start, and help would be appreciated
    Last edited by Youngjayhawk; 2013-04-10 at 08:40 AM.

Shouldn't this be about what you think, not about what random people on the interwebz think?

exactly! What do you think about this? I will let you know that it is one of those grey issues, but your professor may have some definite ideas on what they answer should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngjayhawk View Post
    According to your textbook, "Threats to global life systems such as global warming, ozone depletion, and the loss of tropical forests and marine habitats are just as important to the future of humankind as the threat of nuclear catastrophe."

Is global environmental degradation a security issue with consequences as far-reaching as those entailed by the traditional concept of national security? Why, or why not?

As you discuss this issue, please support your arguments with information you have found in your course readings as well as from sources other than your textbook.

Whatever sources you use, please cite them.

No idea where to even start, and help would be appreciated
    Think about what you need to survive. Eating. Drinking. Not being sick. Be protected from freaky mother earth.

You should be clever enough to figure what kind of human activities are endangering these themes and what happens to people when there's nothing to eat, drink, or no place to live anymore.

- What negative effects have we seen from environmental degradation?
    - Think about what a worst case scenario could be as far as the environment goes.
    - Are the negative effects something that concerns you, should concern humanity at large and should be considered a security risk?
    - What is the possibility for a worst case scenario to happen?
    - Make your conclussions, compare the result of your risk analysis to traditional security issues.

Find your own facts.

I'd recommand watching documentaries like for example The last mountain(coal mining) and HOME(just a fucking beautiful movie about Earth) for inspiration.

Here is HOME, full movie, highly recommanded.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqxENMKaeCU&wide=1
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2013-04-10 at 12:50 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...