The New Race Debate

If you frequent MMOC's forums you can't go a day without seeing another thread on potential races for the upcoming expansions and the comunity's desires.

After very little critical thought I came up with an idea that probably in some way shape or form screws up lore and isn't viable and hell I am contributing to the growing river of these kinds of posts so if the community deems me guilty of crimes against WoW then let this thread sink like the titanic.

New Neutral Faction(Hear me out)
    Dragon Aspect

Lore(little critical thought):
    You are a young dragon on a mission to stabilize Azeroth, like the panda bears you choose the faction you wish to be affiliated with but with a twist. You get to select a shape-shift form, based on faction. You go through an early stage of lore as a dragon before being integrated with the shapeshift race you affiliate yourself. You can choose which dragonflight you were born from and have some customization with your dragonflight form.

Horde/Alliance affiliated must choose a shape-shift appropriate for the faction in order to be accepted.

Alliance: Allow a High elf model(Same as blood elf model except eyes of course) and include a small High elf oriented starter zone to expand their lore to appease the masses. You as a dragon(who commits to high elf) are dedicated to helping re-establish the High elf race to return to its former glory.

Horde: Ogres, You are a dragon committed to the educational advancement of Ogres and establishing them as a more intelligently respected race while maintaining the core elements of their culture.

This way when someone says "But the horde got Ogres and we only got a carbon copy with different eye colour!" You can swiftly respond with, nope you sir most definitely got dragons.

So what do you think, does this band-aid need more adhesive or do you think this would stick?
    Last edited by Geminiel; 2013-04-20 at 08:07 PM.

Deleted
    I guess it makes sense but I don't think they will go down the same road with another shapeshiftin race like the worgen.

Ya I just came up with it quickly and I know Worgen definitely had there issues but when they were first announced they were incredibly hyped, I think execution was more of the problem than the actual idea itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they were going to add high elves and ogres I'd prefer they just add the real things. It would also make a lot more sense than dragons.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

Deleted
    Well yes, a few band aids are needed. For one you cannot be a young dragon aspect. You can be a young dragon but the aspects are Nozdormu(personal favorite), Kalecgos, Aleksztraza, and Ysera. The aspects are(or were) judged with overseeing such small things as all the friekin magic on azeroth, time, life and so on. You cannot be an aspect. Or if you can, I want Old God to be the next neutral race. Okay, I'll stop. Point made. Next question: WILL we have a new race? Apart from WotLK every expansion gave us a race for a grand total of 5. But we only have 2 new classes: Death Knight and Monk. I think it is class time. And I mean like a lot of new classes time.

Sorry I meant dragon flight, didn't mean you could basically start your own faction. New classes would be nice but balancing, while it seems like blizzard is getting better at it becomes increasingly more difficult the more classes you make. I'm happy with the current classes, if anything with classes I think sub-classes would be nice, sub-races would be cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by Balager View Post
    Well yes, a few band aids are needed. For one you cannot be a young dragon aspect. You can be a young dragon but the aspects are Nozdormu(personal favorite), Kalecgos, Aleksztraza, and Ysera. The aspects are(or were) judged with overseeing such small things as all the friekin magic on azeroth, time, life and so on. You cannot be an aspect. Or if you can, I want Old God to be the next neutral race. Okay, I'll stop. Point made. Next question: WILL we have a new race? Apart from WotLK every expansion gave us a race for a grand total of 5. But we only have 2 new classes: Death Knight and Monk. I think it is class time. And I mean like a lot of new classes time.
    New classes are harder to add, they need to be balanced against every other class, need to fill a definitive role, be unique by homogenous enough so it's still bring the player and not the class.

Personally, we are fine with the classes we have, more races however are welcomed.

OT: I think this is an interesting idea, a Dragon race would be cool although what if instead of hero class they were a hero race unlocked via a quest line. I mean the Dragon aspects basically said its now the time of mortals so we can sit back and watch, doesn't mean a dragon wouldn't get bored and decided to take part in the mortals plight.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

I belive it would fit better if the dragon aspects joined horde and alliance, and i really, REALLY hope ogres don't become a race u can play.

We have helped the dragonflights quite a bit, it's not a far stretch to believe some would affiliate with either horde or alliance. Ogres are just one of those races that I think lore wise can be expansive to the game, high elves also deserve some sort of inclusion though the model issues will always be there. I like the idea of more diversity in this game in a cosmetic way as opposed to generating more play styles for blizzard and the community to stress over.

10+ Year Old Account
    So Alliance-Dragons can fight Horde-Dragons? That wouldn't stabilize anything, that'd make it worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    I find it quite disheartening that I got an erection just by reading "Cowboy boots".
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    The greatest generation is long dead? Last I checked, Miley Cyrus, Kanye West, Rebecca Black, and One Direction are all still kickin'...

Deleted
    It makes sense, but with the same sucess you could just introduce High elves and Ogres.

SImply cause everyone would want to be a dragon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by leaks View Post
    If they were going to add high elves and ogres I'd prefer they just add the real things.
    That also is my opinion without doubt, I would prefer to play with normal Ogres and High Elves.

However, we must recognize that here is another idea presented completely valid for the High Elves being a playable race for the Alliance and the Ogres for the Horde, demonstrating that there are a thousand possible solutions to this dilemma.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really can't make this more stern. Having a new race now in wow will just mean the already existing races will get sidelined yet again, and people will whine about it.

New lore of existing races is far better. Give some worgen, tauren, gnome and forsaken lore.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    I really can't make this more stern. Having a new race now in wow will just mean the already existing races will get sidelined yet again, and people will whine about it.

New lore of existing races is far better. Give some worgen, tauren, gnome and forsaken lore.
    As fun as it is to speculate on new races, I agree. Draenei definitely need some sort of fire under their asses storywise as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bionics View Post
    As fun as it is to speculate on new races, I agree. Draenei definitely need some sort of fire under their asses storywise as well.
    oh yes Draenei too definitely.

What the next expansion should be focus on should be three things.

1 - updating all the old models, giving them a fresh look and making them stand on more then the current newer models.
    2 - Giving those races with the updates focus on, because what better time to give them focus then when people will be most intrested in playing these races with there new look.
    3 - Focus on the aftermath of the war, show the races in the aftermath of it and develop them along from that. We can still have villians pop up and us battling them, but so much focus has been misplaced lately from the already existing characters, it erodes the best parts of the story.

It be like an x-men comic with showing all the classic characters, and then they keep adding newer characters over time and forgetting to classic characters and leaving the on the sidelines, yet its the fans who became invested in the classic heroes and villains and they want to see them.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    Screw new races update models.