Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Apparently cigarettes are more important then food for the homeless.

From what I've seen as experience and hearing about it, homeless people need to spend their change on cigarettes rather then food. Why? Here's a story to go with it.

Today I was leaving the metro station and I saw an old lady with a dog in front of the doors. The dog looked sad as did she. I was contemplating on giving her a dollar or more, but I saw the look in the dogs eyes and decided to give ten dollars. It felt pretty good doing this until I saw what she did while i was petting her dog. She asked a smoker in front of me if she could buy a pack off of the person and she used all of my change. I was pretty upset as people go through hundreds of dollars each year, or more, just to fill a nicotine addiction.

My old high school teacher once told us instead of giving change to the homeless he would give an apple, or a snack, to see if he really needed the money. He said a big majority would throw it away rather then eat it.

What do you people think about these types of situations?

Eat the dog. Then we can talk about money.

Deleted
    That's why I refuse to give money to homeless people. You never know what they will use it on, they might even use it for bad stuff, stuff they shouldn't be buying or using.

That's why I'd rather give them food. I can simply go buy something nearby and give it to them if they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Scisors View Post
    From what I've seen as experience and hearing about it, homeless people need to spend their change on cigarettes rather then food. Why? Here's a story to go with it.

Today I was leaving the metro station and I saw an old lady with a dog in front of the doors. The dog looked sad as did she. I was contemplating on giving her a dollar or more, but I saw the look in the dogs eyes and decided to give ten dollars. It felt pretty good doing this until I saw what she did while i was petting her dog. She asked a smoker in front of me if she could buy a pack off of the person and she used all of my change. I was pretty upset as people go through hundreds of dollars each year, or more, just to fill a nicotine addiction.

My old high school teacher once told us instead of giving change to the homeless he would give an apple, or a snack, to see if he really needed the money. He said a big majority would throw it away rather then eat it.

Assuming that the homeless are always going to spend your charity on bad habits, is a really bad assumption. I've been in a homeless situation and any form of charity has always gone to putting my family back on our feet. It's a terrible situation to be in and, unlike the 'stereotype'... Homeless people aren't always put into the situation simply because of drugs, or some addiction. In my experience, and in those whom we shared a shelter with, we suffered due to the economy. My mother had to support four kids (Myself and three siblings) and working as many hours a day as she could as a preschool teacher. Which, may I say-- gets paid dirt, to put it nicely. As a result of inflation and gas prices, food prices and so on, we fell behind in keeping up with the necessities of life. It's not really anyone's fault either. It just happened.

So, my point is -- don't assume the homeless are wasteful and bad people. A lot of us (most of us, in my experience) are just normal people who are suffering from hard times, or from really crappy situations.

And some times, a hug or even an ear to listen is all we really need. For me, when I was homeless, having someone to listen to my thoughts and provide suggestions was almost more than enough.
    Meep~

Most of the homeless I know are severely mentally ill - I'd go so far to say that when I enter a shelter, I recognize most of the folks from either my agency or from hanging around some of the other clinics.

I know it's difficult for those, especially with schizophrenia and thought disorders to kick smoking or to have the cognizance to correctly prioritize their needs.

I do my best not to judge until I know the individual situation.

That said, I also don't give them money, because you are probably correct, they may not use the money for what you think they are going to, and it's not a very effective method to get somebody to eat on the regular. You are far better off showing them where the nearest soup kitchen/homeless outreach is so they can get the resources to eat at meals or to get a few groceries/non-perishables.
    Last edited by The Casualty; 2013-04-12 at 12:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cigarettes have been used as an appetite suppressant, so maybe that was her way of not needing to eat for a couple days instead of getting one meal.

It's a shitty reason, but it wouldn't be unheard of. That's why instead of giving out cash, I will buy them food.

I'll buy one of those newspapers, as those are homeless people that want to get back in and are trying to get their life back on track. But I don't give to the ones that are just sitting on a pavement.

Deleted
    Yes, I've seen people refuse food bought specifically for them and asking for money instead. Some even give you mean looks when you give only small change. I usually dump my leftover change that just sits on my desk otherwise and slowly forms into a small hill of coins. Sadly there's no way to tell if that person is really desperate or just looking for another cig or some booze. I prefer giving my change to a street musician than homeless people to be honest.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

Homeless with an addiction they need to sate? You're surprised about that? You think less of them for havign a habit even people with homes have a hard time beating, but you want them to stop smoking whilst having no home and barely any food?
    And you think a homeless person would trust a random person that gives them food? The way you portray the homeless, I don't b lame them for not accepting food from strangers. I wouldn't either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do you assume homeless people will make good decisions with money...

Quote Originally Posted by Art3x View Post
    Why do you assume they won't?
    Meep~

This, pretty much. Seems rather counter intuitive to assume someone that lives on the streets will use money for the correct things.

Pretty much why I don't give money to the homeless, or really anyone else, I really pretty much only care about myself and more often than not try to avoid contact with society. But seriously, giving the homeless money doesn't make a lot of sense, I suppose giving them food would be a better solution but it's also kind of weird to give food to someone you don't know...

Quote Originally Posted by Amaroq View Post
    Well... because they are homeless? :P

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've helped quite a few Homeless people, but it's never been with money, The city i grew up in had quite a few homeless folk around, so my usual practice would be to talk to one for a little while, then i would go buy them a hot drink of their choice and a sandwhich/something like that and some food for their dog(as they usually have one)

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Well... because they are homeless? :P
    That says nothing. Really, it just says nothing at all.
    Meep~

Deleted
    I give money to the homeless quite regularly, I don't care what they spend it on either.

So buy them a couple of packs of cheap sandwiches (eg in the uk something like cheese and onion) a (small) pack of ciggies and a chew for the dog. If they're going to complain at that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Youtube search for "Underwear goes inside the pants".

We're in one of the richest countries in the world,
    but the minimum wage is lower than it was thirty five years ago.
    There are homeless people everywhere.
    This homeless guy asked me for money the other day.
    I was about to give it to him and then I thought he was going to use it on drugs or alcohol.
    And then I thought, that's what I'm going to use it on.
    Why am I judging this poor bastard.
    People love to judge homeless guys. Like if you give them money they're just going to waste it.
    Well, he lives in a box, what do you want him to do? Save it up and buy a wall unit?
    Take a little run to the store for a throw rug and a CD rack? He's homeless.
    I walked behind this guy the other day.
    A homeless guy asked him for money.
    He looks right at the homeless guy and says why don't you go get a job you bum.
    People always say that to homeless guys like it is so easy.
    This homeless guy was wearing his underwear outside his pants.
    Outside his pants. I'm guessing his resume isn't all up to date.
    I'm predicting some problems during the interview process.
    I'm pretty sure even McDonalds has a "underwear goes inside the pants" policy.
    Not that they enforce it really strictly, but technically I'm sure it is on the books.

10+ Year Old Account
    Edinburgh, Scotland. You know, that place with the castle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    That's why I refuse to give money to homeless people. You never know what they will use it on, they might even use it for bad stuff, stuff they shouldn't be buying or using.

That's why I'd rather give them food. I can simply go buy something nearby and give it to them if they want.
    Exactly my stance on it. If you want them to use the money you give them to get themselves a meal, then it's far better to just buy some food for them in the first place - cuts out the middleman and it means they won't waste it on cigs, alcohol or even drugs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaroq View Post
    Because they're most likely uneducated and don't know any better.

You shouldn't generally give money to the homeless; coupons and actual food tend to go better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.