Haven't played in a year, any tips?

Hi all,

I saw a few threads like this, but I wanted to start one to ask some specific questions. I'm sure the game has changed a lot since it was released, but what are the big things that returning players need to know? I have various characters, so I'm not really looking for class-specific updates, but rather general feedback and questions.

I understand you can now buy stuff for "cartel coins," but I don't know what those are. Is it just cosmetic? It looksl ike you can get XP bonuses right? Do they stack with subscription XP bonuses?

Has the game improved since it was released? I seem to recall there being quite a complicated token system to buy gear. There were planet-specific tokens, but this appears to have been changed in 2.0, right? Is the armor system the same where you get a shell then you have to buy modules to give it bonuses?

How about PvP? I enjoyed that a lot before, but IIRC melee had a bit of difficulty catching up to the blaster-users of the galaxy. Any opinions there? I played a Guardian extensively, and it was a bit frustrating sometimes.

Is there any dungeon-finder type tool, or are we still doing the good old trade chat grouping? Are there any new game systems besides the questing/dailies/space/warzones/heroics/operations?

Was levelling time changed at all? I've heard the non-subscription levelling is pretty brutal, but I would probably do a sub if I log in and like what I see. I enjoyed the questing and story, so I would probably level a few characters.

10+ Year Old Account
    I understand you can now buy stuff for "cartel coins," but I don't know what those are. Is it just cosmetic? It looksl ike you can get XP bonuses right? Do they stack with subscription XP bonuses?
    Think of the Cartel Market as a place to buy things that are purely cosmetic. Now, the only things that do directly impact gameplay would be items that increase experience (that do stack with subscription bonuses) and gear that is for like level 30s and 40s that already have mods in them.

Has the game improved since it was released? I seem to recall there being quite a complicated token system to buy gear. There were planet-specific tokens, but this appears to have been changed in 2.0, right? Is the armor system the same where you get a shell then you have to buy modules to give it bonuses?
    There are multiple tokens to keep track of, but its pretty easy to get used to. One is planetary commendations that can be used on any planet, etc.

Is there any dungeon-finder type tool, or are we still doing the good old trade chat grouping? Are there any new game systems besides the questing/dailies/space/warzones/heroics/operations?
    I'm not sure what you're asking? The dungeon-finder allows you to find groups for 'dungeons'. I don't quite know what else you could use a dungeon finder for haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    Think of the Cartel Market as a place to buy things that are purely cosmetic. Now, the only things that do directly impact gameplay would be items that increase experience (that do stack with subscription bonuses) and gear that is for like level 30s and 40s that already have mods in them.

There are multiple tokens to keep track of, but its pretty easy to get used to. One is planetary commendations that can be used on any planet, etc.

I'm not sure what you're asking? The dungeon-finder allows you to find groups for 'dungeons'. I don't quite know what else you could use a dungeon finder for haha.
    The last part was actually two separate questions. I don't remember if there was a dungeon finder tool at all when I quit, it was a while ago. Now that I am thinking about it, that may have existed already. The second part was whether there was anything brand-new in the year year that was added.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a group finder implemented in game that you can que with a specific role for any level appropriate flashpoint, operation, etc. it isn't a hot key like in wow but it's a button on the minimap. There is also an option for planets but I'm not entriy sure what that one does, (maybe bonus series or heroic planet missions?). Hopefully that answered that part of your question
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishamael8

Deathwing was flapping along in the dragonblight getting ready to attack the tower whennnnn..... BAM!!! He gets nailed with a giant plasma beam coming down from the sky Grafton style from Halo Reach!!!! It would seem that Rhonin finally decided to put his 24mil mana to use...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Varabently View Post
    The last part was actually two separate questions. I don't remember if there was a dungeon finder tool at all when I quit, it was a while ago. Now that I am thinking about it, that may have existed already. The second part was whether there was anything brand-new in the year year that was added.
    New Warzones, Flashpoints & Ops for group stuff. Reputation & Achievements grinds in your Legacy (with rewards/unique items to obtain). Gree event (dailies, heroics, bosses etc) on revamped Ilum Western Shelf, not currently live but will probably return again in coming months (part of the new Reputation grind). Section X & Black Hole daily areas are those you probably don't know if you left a year ago. Section X includes a galaxy-spanning questline to obtain new companion HK-51.

Plus there's the just-released expansion paid Rise of the Hutt Cartel expansion - adds new big planet Makeb, raises level cap to 55, adds new Seeker Droid & Microbinocular gameplay mechanics (kind of a treasure hunting/explorer thingy) with their own questlines separate from Makeb story and dailies after you finish the questlines (Makeb has its own dailies too). Obviously the expansion has new lvl 55 gear and stuff + balance changes and some skill trees changes, new ability for each advances class.

That's the most important 'new content' stuff I think. Crapton of outfits, cosmetics, mounts etc on Cartel Market but I don't think you consider that 'gameplay content'.