Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    dem gem prices.

Aaaaaaannnnnd ANet unsurprisingly steps over the line they oh so carefully bordered for months, breaking yet another promise... (Not have the gem store offer anything that provides an in-game advantage) Oh manifesto - is there a single line uttered that has not been complete bullshit?

Lol. Poor medium armor wearers.
    Must of missed the part where a normal pickaxe is 4s 80c and the molten one is 20g~
    Quote Originally Posted by Potboza View Post
    I created a black human male called "Pedopriest" and ran him to SW.
    I started asking where the schools were.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    I whispered back, "How old are they?"
    Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Where do you see anything that offers an in-game advantage?
    Buying the pick is a perpetual wealth advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Buying the pick is a perpetual wealth advantage.
    You have to use almost 500 orichalcum pic axes in order to start making a profit and even then 4 silver every 100 ores is hardly a profit since you can make 4 silver by doing almost nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    You have to use almost 500 orichalcum pic axes in order to start making a profit and even then 4 silver every 100 ores is hardly a profit since you can make 4 silver by doing almost nothing.
    I didn't say it was a get rich quick scheme. However, it is a perpetual advantage.

For 800 gems a player no longer has the cost of buying pickaxes at all. Which is money you never have to spend on resources that generate wealth on their own.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    dem gem prices.

Aaaaaaannnnnd ANet unsurprisingly steps over the line they oh so carefully bordered for months, breaking yet another promise... (Not have the gem store offer anything that provides an in-game advantage) Oh manifesto - is there a single line uttered that has not been complete bullshit?

Lol. Poor medium armor wearers.
    Are you serious? Anyways, just made 40 gold in 1 min. Dem gem exchange rates.

I didn't say it was a get rich quick scheme. However, it is a perpetual advantage.

For 800 gems a player no longer has the cost of buying pickaxes at all. Which is money you never have to spend on resources that generate wealth on their own.
    It's basically not, the amount is so low and trivial it's not even worth comprehending.
    Someone said "My kids play on this server you creep! How can you live with yourself?"
    Yeah.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolsteak View Post
    It's basically not, the amount is so low and trivial it's not even worth comprehending.
    But....But....if you calculate the average value of not using your bag slots over the duration of the time you have this new pick, that's like....every moneyz possible.

Seriously, people thinking this is even remotely close to P2W is pretty silly. I agree that this is exactly what they should be offering in the store. They need one for every gathering tool, start adding different graphics to it as well. Until they sell uber pickaxes of awesome, that increase your mining yields by 100% I wouldn't get all in a huff about it.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    I don't get the feeling of advantage, or well, some people might earn a little bit of extra gold from it, I don't know. I don't think it was a bad choice to put it in. I hope they do something similar with harvest sickles and logging axes.

Anyone playing, or have seen the Runescape animations? It's a vanity thing you can buy from their cash store, they have added different animations when you, for example, cut wood, you point at the tree and it explodes, and such.

Like in this video, different animations when you mine, cook, cut, whatever, I think this is a pretty neat idea, I wouldn't mind if ArenaNet did something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    But....But....if you calculate the average value of not using your bag slots over the duration of the time you have this new pick, that's like....every moneyz possible.

Seriously, people thinking this is even remotely close to P2W is pretty silly. I agree that this is exactly what they should be offering in the store. They need one for every gathering tool, start adding different graphics to it as well. Until they sell uber pickaxes of awesome, that increase your mining yields by 100% I wouldn't get all in a huff about it.
    I agree, it's a nice little something to equip and forget about (Not that i'll be buying one anyway, gotta save them golds for a Legendary).
    Yeah.

I agree, it's a nice little something to equip and forget about (Not that i'll be buying one anyway, gotta save them golds for a Legendary).
    truthfully that's why I have any interest in it, to buy it and forget about it.

Unless I'm the only person that gets the "no tool equipped" message when I'm in the middle of nowhere...

10+ Year Old Account

For a player like me that only does gathering when it's the daily it would be years before I broke even, lol.
    Like if gathering was the daily everysingleday for 6.84 years and if all I did was mining and skipped the trees and herbs.

Get rich quick indeed ;-)
    Valar morghulis

The unlimited pickaxe is a wealth generating item you keep forever for a flat fee rather than an ongoing fee.

It's a ongoing wealth advantage. No matter how small.

Now that isn't to say, "pay 2 win" or whatever nonsense one has in mind when the word advantage is used in relation to cash shop items.

Definite direct advantage item, however. Unlike say flat $ -> gold conversion, which doesn't necessarily generate more wealth over time. There are no interest rates in Tyria.

For people who don't understand fencers.
    Normal pickaxe will always have the same cost /use, this means that no matter how many you buy over time you'll always have the same return (100mines/5s)

The new pickaxe has a one time sunk cost, this means that you don't make any profit until you're at the 52k mines but from then on everything is profit.

Clearly the second is quite a big advantage since if you mine for an unlimited amount of time the first one will always have a sunk cost (of 5s/100mines) while the second doesn't.

It's similar in thought of pay to win since you do get an advantage no matter how small...

edit:
    If an example makes it simpler.
    option one you buy all your food for 20$/week for your entire life.

option two you pay the store 50k and in return you can take w/e you want for the rest of your life.
    Last edited by Meledelion; 2013-04-15 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    For people who don't understand fencers.
    Normal pickaxe will always have the same cost /use, this means that no matter how many you buy over time you'll always have the same return (100mines/5s)

The new pickaxe has a one time sunk cost, this means that you don't make any profit until you're at the 52k mines but from then on everything is profit.

Clearly the second is quite a big advantage since if you mine for an unlimited amount of time the first one will always have a sunk cost (of 5s/100mines) while the second doesn't.

It's similar in thought of pay to win since you do get an advantage no matter how small...

edit:
    If an example makes it simpler.
    option one you buy all your food for 20$/week for your entire life.

option two you pay the store 50k and in return you can take w/e you want for the rest of your life.
    I would think that it would be even more than 52k charges for break even because that is assuming you are mining 52k ori nodes. If you're mining mithril (1s40c per 100 charges) or copper (24c per 100 charges), that break even point becomes at least 100k to 600k charges.

In short, this pick is simply a quality of life item and nothing close to being an advantage (as far as getting rich).

Money doesn't seem to buy anything advantageous other than quick travel, however. There is a definite wealth cap in the game currently.

While advantageous, the money earned by the pickaxe wouldn't strictly be "pay 2 win". Because you really can't win anything by wealth in GW2. There is a power ceiling.

Pay 4 Long Term Financial Advantage rolls off the tongue more clumsily.

Pay 4 Long Term Financial Advantage rolls off the tongue more clumsily.
    Just look at as an investment that will have a long term payoff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhywolver View Post
    Reddit quotes:

At current gem prices the Molten Alliance Mining Pick costs 20.5 gold (800 gems). That equates to 512.5 Orichalcum Mining Picks at vendor price (4s each) or 51,250 uses.

Unlimited pick, for all levels, all metals, and all of time! It's so cool!
    BONUS: It makes lava spouts when you mine!

Sounds pretty cosmetic to me, at least I won't be mining 51250 times soon.
    Cosmetic effect baked into a massive money saver is still a practical item. Worrying precedent, likely to only slowly get worse.

From what I could see at ''endgame'', you needed money to do pretty much any fine tuning to your gear, Runes etc. That's far from ''optional''. Money is needed, and this one off purchase may as well be the same as saying ' save yourself a massive amount in the long term'. In and of itself, not a huge deal. But it crosses a line, and could easily become worse, while still treading that ''line'', so to speak.
    Last edited by mmoc52fe769775; 2013-04-15 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Syridian View Post
    Cosmetic effect baked into a massive money saver is still a practical item. Worrying precedent, likely to only slowly get worse.
    Massive money saver? It's only a money saver after 51.25k uses, and even then it's not a "massive" money saver for a long time after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    I would think that it would be even more than 52k charges for break even because that is assuming you are mining 52k ori nodes. If you're mining mithril (1s40c per 100 charges) or copper (24c per 100 charges), that break even point becomes at least 100k to 600k charges.

In short, this pick is simply a quality of life item and nothing close to being an advantage (as far as getting rich).

100k - 600k charges.....HOLY CRAP, let's see, that would take me 13.7 to 82.2 years to start reaping my massive financial advantage.
    Watch out Wall Street, here I come!
    Valar morghulis

That mining pick looks so awesome lol, too bad I don't have gems.