Deleted

Frost or Unholy(PvP)

so like the title says, I decided going back to my DK(didnt play it since Wrath) and it looks like a lot has changed.
    Both unholy and Frost seem popular (But outside of main cities u just see Unholy Elitist going around)
    so the question is Frost or unholy for PvP.
    I hate managing pets i find it really irritating, although i love doing sustained damage and being mobile.
    And another question is i saw that Frost DK priority is to reforge haste and i was thinking why are Frost DK's not using Unholy presence? (20% Speed and 10% Run speed?)

Play whatever unholy is better but frost is still decent.

Frost is the more new player friendly spec.

Haste is the way to go for pve however in pvp go mastery for both specs though and don't listen to the people who say otherwise. You're not going to have the uptime required for haste to even come into the equation.

The reason frost doesn't play in uh presence is because frost presence reduces the cost of frost strike.
    Last edited by Ieft; 2013-04-14 at 09:05 PM.

I'm not very good at DK, first season playing one.
    But it pretty much depends on your arena setups etc aswell, as UH you will be spreading DOTs all over the place, doing shitloads of dmg (my dots are about 11k and 15k per tick I believe, with 481 ilvl, this was on a dummy however), so if you go with a setup that dosnt need bother all to much about you breaking CCs, you should go UH.
    Frost however does shitload of burst, with 80-90k Obli crits (thats the crits I did yesterday in arena), timed with Soul Reaper that hits for a shitload aswell can grant you a pretty fast kill.

I play both specs, depends on what I want to play realy. And I go for mastery on both.
    So my suggestion is that you do the same - test and see what you enjoy the most. UH is great fun if you like to control a pet and have 100% control over the field, you can lock down a healer so bad that you can pretty much solo any healer ingame. Frost is more about that bursty dmg, with no procs you wont do so great dmg but not to bad either. But when you get those procs you do shitloads of dmg and press healers like crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Ieft View Post
    Play whatever unholy is better but frost is still decent.

Frost is the more new player friendly spec.

Haste is the way to go for pve however in pvp go mastery for both specs though and don't listen to the people who say otherwise. You're not going to have the uptime required for haste to even come into the equation.

The reason frost doesn't play in uh presence is because frost presence reduces the cost of frost strike.
    Nuff said?

I've played both specs this season. Its fun, but its frustrating aswell. The mobility of this class is just meh (unless youre playing with a paladin). You'll find yourself in roots/fears dozens of times and scream at your screen even more.
    For frost, it seems that 2h goes for haste and dw goes for mastery. The reason for this is that 2h needs the haste to produce more Obliterates which are the main "burst" ability, while dw favors mastery due to only spammin necrotics and FS (mainly at least). The big difference between the two specs is that 2h recks cloth by means of giant burst, which they cant achieve on high armor classes whereas dw is much more effective against these platers, since your damage is frost.

Now, unholy, which ive played the most can do both mastery and haste. I like haste, since it makes your runes regen, garg hits and diseases ticks faster. I rarely find myself having all of my runes available, so the argument about uptime might be correct, but at least its skewed.
    Mastery, does make your diseases tick enormously hard which translates into alot of sustained damage, but I find it a boring stats - but again, its anyones pick.

Frost is more of a beginners spec, since you can do good without knowing your class to the fingertips while unholy def requires alot of practice. Unholy adds way more to the table in my view compared to frost and thus I think you should go with them. Controlling your pet is simply a question about macros eg. /petattack macros to your PS/NS and plain focus macros for pet stun/interrupt.

This is my opinion. Take it or leave it

These are the macros you need to control you pet tbh:
    Code:
    /cast gnaw
    Code:
    /cast leap
    Code:
    /petattack
    /cast Death Coil
    And you should be fine :P

I find Frost to be more a 2s spec, as you can burst down someone realy fast. I mostly play with a healer in 2s (Any healer, not just palas) and with frost I can end matches alot faster if I get in a lucky SR+Obli combo, apyshificate (Or how you spell that, lol weird word..) on the healer and boom someone dies. ^^
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

10+ Year Old Account
    unholy just feels too slow to do any real damage compared to frost. today in a bg with all cds and pvp trinket popped i 2 shot a hunter with obliterate, 189k crit followed by 100k non crit. granted, he had under 300k max hp so probably had greens and i have tyran weapon and i'm fully pvp geared with all pvp power gems, but still, i nearly jizzed myself. i dont see unholy being able to do that kind of damage in that short of a time frame

Quote Originally Posted by draganid View Post
    unholy just feels too slow to do any real damage compared to frost. today in a bg with all cds and pvp trinket popped i 2 shot a hunter with obliterate, 189k crit followed by 100k non crit. granted, he had under 300k max hp so probably had greens and i have tyran weapon and i'm fully pvp geared with all pvp power gems, but still, i nearly jizzed myself. i dont see unholy being able to do that kind of damage in that short of a time frame
    Do that to an equally geared player with healers...It wont matter..NS stacks are what will matter and you will just melt in comparison to the unholy DK.

Quote Originally Posted by draganid View Post
    Now go UH, pop all CDs, toss out deseases on everyone and watch those 15-20k ticks all over the screen and top any dmg meter.
    The thing about UH is all the control you have over the healer and such. You can even save your healer from traps by sending you pet in to take them.
    You can stack a shitload of necro strikes, and your dots does alot of dmg.
    UH is simply stronger, but it takes more brain than smashing Obli : /

10+ Year Old Account
    Unholy.

Frost does have burst damage but so little survivability that you need to kill your opponents very very fast or you die. Unholy has considerably more tools at their disposal: they can control enemy casters/healers, pressure healers with undispellable diseases (or just reapply for the extra 30%), soak traps with their pet to keep teammates free, and have more survivability than frost will. They can regen runes at distance and heal their pet with DC.

Since they rely on stuns, though, you'll want to go with a partner class that doesn't such as a lock (shadowcleave).

Deleted
    I have just started playing my death Knight I leveled in Blood to 90 and never touched it. I Decided to go frost because i like big numbers but I found it mind numbingly boring. So I decided to try UnHoly and wow it has now taken over as my main toon I just love it though I need a lot of work to get good at at. Its an awesome spec well worth a try, I have been top Damage of the RBG groups I did the other day even beating a frost Dk well worth a try IMO but try them both and pick the style of game play that suits you best. you have more fun playing the spec you like rather then picking a spec that is classed as the best,