Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Ebay, is this for real ?

Hello,

today i saw something on Ebay and i was wondering if people are trolling or what ?

the story is that there is someone who wants to sell An "engineering sample" of AMD's upcoming Radeon HD 7990 graphics card.

the price has reached 93.1k$, they must be trolling right ?

story Source : http://www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD...ale,22090.html

Quote Originally Posted by mandus View Post
    Hello,

today i saw something on Ebay and i was wondering if people are trolling or what ?

the story is that there is someone who wants to sell An "engineering sample" of AMD's upcoming Radeon HD 7990 graphics card.

the price has reached 93.1k$, they must be trolling right ?

story Source : http://www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD...ale,22090.html
    rofl at the 101 bids. This has to be a scam of some kind.

The offer looks legit, but this doesn't

3***t( 63) US $89,999.00
    Apr-17-13 10:39:59 PDT

3***t( 63) US $50,000.00
    Apr-17-13 10:39:45 PDT

3***t( 63) US $35,000.00
    Apr-17-13 10:39:36 PDT

3***t( 63) US $32,000.00
    Apr-17-13 10:39:21 PDT
    Same person bidding 4 times in 40 seconds from 32k to 90k, something's not right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    The offer looks legit, but this doesn't

Same person bidding 4 times in 40 seconds from 32k to 90k, something's not right there.
    That means he set a maximum bid of at least 90k USD. Ebay will match the bid up to the limit you specify.

It always helps to look at the feedback of the user. It says that they are 100%, which is always a good sign. Now, if they deal with a lot of people and it is all positive, it is generally a good way to know they are telling the truth and won't screw you over. Of course, it's not a guarantee, but it is a good measuring stick. I'm sure it's real.

i am not a seller, but it is just "stupid" ... i mean who pays 10 times the price of something you will get next month ?

Quote Originally Posted by mandus View Post
    i am not a seller, but it is just "stupid" ... i mean who pays 10 times the price of something you will get next month ?
    You mean 100x? Because the RRP will be around 1000 dollars, and it is at nearly 100,000

10+ Year Old Account
    looks fishy to me. the person kept outbidding himself reaching 90k in 40 seconds.
    4670k @ 4.4GHz - MSI Z87 G45 - Silverstone AR03 - Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770 OC - Antec 620W High Current Gamer

16GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz - Samsung 840 250GB - 1TB WD Blue - ASUS VG248QE @ 144Hz - Fractal Design Define R4 - Windows 10 64-Bit - Logitech G-Pro
    Razer Blackwidow Chroma - Steelseries QCK Heavy - Hyper X Cloud II

Quote Originally Posted by Roblivion View Post
    looks fishy to me. the person kept outbidding himself reaching 90k in 40 seconds.
    As someone already posted: It is a Ebay thing.
    Ebay matches the bids until the limit you specify.

Quote Originally Posted by solvexx View Post
    As someone already posted: It is a Ebay thing.
    Ebay matches the bids until the limit you specify.
    But shouldn't that only happen if someone else makes a bid that's under your max bid, but over your current?

But shouldn't that only happen if someone else makes a bid that's under your max bid, but over your current?
    Say the bidding was currently at 38000. The next bid needs to be 40000. Two people set a maximum bid. One sets his maximum bid to 85000. The other sets his to 90000. Now, no matter how many bidders there are (last time I looked over 100 were bidding on the card) the bidding will continue to skyrocket all the way to 90 grand until all bidders but one pull out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Think outside the box. If other companies got a hold of a competitor's product in advance, and were able to reverse engineer it -- it's equivalent to industrial espionage.

If this guy posted it on eBay, it could be in the best interests of nVidia to buy it, hence the enormous bid. $90k is nothing to them, the amount of information they could potentially get, and it could affect marketing strategies and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Say the bidding was currently at 38000. The next bid needs to be 40000. Two people set a maximum bid. One sets his maximum bid to 85000. The other sets his to 90000. Now, no matter how many bidders there are (last time I looked over 100 were bidding on the card) the bidding will continue to skyrocket all the way to 90 grand until all bidders but one pull out.
    But he's the only one, there isn't a bid after his 4 for 10 minutes. I understand how your situation works, but that needs at least 2 people. Or is it possible to withdraw your bid on ebay, making it disappear from the list?

But he's the only one, there isn't a bid after his 4 for 10 minutes. I understand how your situation works, but that needs at least 2 people. Or is it possible to withdraw your bid on ebay, making it disappear from the list?
    No, you don't get it. I'll give you an example:

Product A listed at €0.99

Customer A bids €2
    Customer B bids €2000

The listing changes into €3 for customer B.

Now customer C comes along and bids €300!

The listing changes into €301 in favour of customer B.

Customer B stays atop the bidding list, until someone surpasses his maximum bid of €2000.

That said, I don't think this is a legit list. The images aren't original since they are used on various computing sites to announce the 7990 and the amounts are positively ridonkulous.
    Last edited by nocturnus; 2013-04-18 at 09:46 AM.

I must be dumb or something, since in my mind C would appear in the list of bids too then and not just gets left out. Ebay, stop messing with my mind!

I must be dumb or something, since in my mind C would appear in the list of bids too then and not just gets left out. Ebay, stop messing with my mind!
    That's the odd thing about that listing. C should indeed be included in the bidding list!

or he's bidding on his own shit to make it look desirable.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

a few things are possible :
    1. AMD leaked a card and is bidding so they dont leak out benchmarks.
    2. Reviewer sites are pushing for it , which is extremely unlikely.
    3. It's a publicity stunt.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    a few things are possible :
    1. AMD leaked a card and is bidding so they dont leak out benchmarks.
    2. Reviewer sites are pushing for it , which is extremely unlikely.
    3. It's a publicity stunt.
    Option 4 Nvidia is bidding on it to get a competitor's engineering sample

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocherend View Post
    Option 4 Nvidia is bidding on it to get a competitor's engineering sample
    or they could just buy one from newegg for $3500