New HTPC build, can it be good?

I'm planning building an home theatre PC with the following parts:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220T 2.8GHz Dual-Core Processor ($129.96 @ DirectCanada)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($104.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($65.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($108.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($32.12 @ DirectCanada)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($56.00 @ Newegg Canada)
    Total: $498.05
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-19 12:50 EDT-0400)

I've not included a CPU Cooler other than the stock, but if needed I guess the following cooler should be enough.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master GeminII M4 58.4 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Memory Express)

Most time it should serve to play youtube videos, web surfing and for flash gaming ( my mom seems to love facebook's games :-/ ) while mantain the capability to play FullHD contents.
    I've not included an optical drive because I have no idea what should I search, most drives I bought for my PCs lately are loudly as hell....are there some silent drive to suggest?
    What do you think? Are there any part absolutely horrible that need a replacement?

Thanks for your thoughts!

I'd replace the cpu cooler as dust is something you want as little as possible of in that case. Get a H40 or something, it will cool better for much longer and it will free some room for cable management as well. Other than that, your HTPC will do the job just fine. If you need an Optical Drive, get one of those handy external USB drives instead, it will save space and you will probably only use it for Windows install + drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    If you need an Optical Drive, get one of those handy external USB drives instead, it will save space and you will probably only use it for Windows install + drivers.
    For HTPC optical drive is pretty much mandatory since playing DVDs (maybe even BluRay) is part of the use unless plan is to go all digital with everything saved locally on HDD.

There aren't any particularily quiet drives around, what people do is use programs that slow down the disc reading to 1x which minimizes the sound.
    AnyDVD, DVDFab, Nero's DriveSpeed... There are plenty of tools for slowing DVD read speeds.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Mmmm so do you suggest water cooling? Since is a 35W TPD processor I thought air cooling would be enough, but I read about Ivy Bridge beign a little hotter than the previous generation. Anyway looking better at the case, I guess after market cooling is a must.

For the optical drive: so there aren't many differences from one model to another? Anyway thanks for the info, I didn't know the possibilities of slowing the disk speed. I'll check out some program to do so. =)
    Last edited by Krdan; 2013-04-19 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krdan View Post
    Mmmm so do you suggest water cooling? Since is a 35W TPD processor I thought air cooling would be enough, but I read about Ivy Bridge beign a little hotter than the previous generation. Anyway looking better at the case, I guess after market cooling is a must.

For the optical drive: so there aren't many differences from one model to another? Anyway thanks for the info, I didn't know the possibilities of slowing the disk speed. I'll check out some program to do so. =)
    I have the stock cooler in my htpc using an overlocked amd a10 and never have any dust problems, just gotta try to place it in a low dust area have decent air circulation and clean it from time to time. Depends on how dusty your home is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Watercooling for a HTPC with a locked CPU? Hell no, you'll be more than fine with the stock fan.

If you want a quieter CPU fan, go for the CoolerMaster Hyper212/Xigmatek Gaia, everything else is overkill.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

did u see what case he is using, what MB? Don't blindly look at specs, there is a physical aspect as well....

For HTPC use I'd pick something like this or this for the case.

Those are bit expensive and put limitations on CPU coolers, but looks damn good in living room.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2013-04-19 at 09:51 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    For HTPC use I'd pick something like this or this for the case.

Those are bit expensive and put limitations on CPU coolers, but looks damn good in living room.
    Agree on that, something that is stationed in the living room needs to blend in imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    did u see what case he is using, what MB? Don't blindly look at specs, there is a physical aspect as well....
    I suspect that case will be fine as I have an I3 2105 in a slightly smaller case and while the temps are much higher then my gaming rig with a 2500k they are still well within manufacturer limits.

If anything the op should get a sfx psu with an atx adapter bracket as those generally have shorter cable runs and less of them which is perfect for such a build. (might have to shop elsewhere for the bracket)

I'd replace the cpu cooler as dust is something you want as little as possible of in that case. Get a H40 or something, it will cool better for much longer and it will free some room for cable management as well. Other than that, your HTPC will do the job just fine. If you need an Optical Drive, get one of those handy external USB drives instead, it will save space and you will probably only use it for Windows install + drivers.
    No, bad choice for that case.

Yes, I have that case for an HTPC/Gaming build. reverse the side fan so it blows outwards instead of in. Likewise, the inlet in front has some protection against dust. Simply purchase another 120mm fan and place it after the HD cage so it pulls the air from the front inlet instead of through the sides, that way air is pushed out the sides.

To the OP, I would personally look at an APU if you don't plan to transcode as you'll have better game performance (I would likewise get higher frequency RAM if you go with an APU as that helps with APUs)

As also noted, get a Optical drive, likely a BluRay reader, it will ultimately help.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD A6-5400K 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($69.99 @ Canada Computers)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($44.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75IA-E53 Mini ITX FM2 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($98.87 @ DirectCanada)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($32.12 @ DirectCanada)
    Power Supply: Antec Basiq 350W ATX12V Power Supply ($29.50 @ Vuugo)
    Optical Drive: Pioneer BDC-207DBK Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($34.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Total: $460.44
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-19 22:28 EDT-0400)

I'd also think about adding a spindle drive (or 2) as well.
    Last edited by Tahapenes; 2013-04-20 at 02:29 AM.

Despite it not having front USB 3.0, I'd recommend http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811204039 for an HTPC case. Not necessarily for excellent airflow or anything like that, but it just looks pretty sweet (though it is on the pricier side.)

Thanks for the suggestions, regarding an AMD setup unfortunately the dealer I'm contacting for the parts have low to none availability of AMD's CPU...
    Regarding the airflow seems good the solution of side exhaust... I'll buy another fan for the HD bay.

By the way are there any great differences between i3 3225 and 3220T other than the different integrated graphic? I cannot find any clear benchmark comparing HD 2500 and HD 4000 :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Krdan View Post
    By the way are there any great differences between i3 3225 and 3220T other than the different integrated graphic? I cannot find any clear benchmark comparing HD 2500 and HD 4000 :-/
    HD2000 and HD2500 perform about the same, main difference is DirectX 10.1 vs DX11.
    HD4000 has 16 execution units vs 6 in HD2000/2500 meaning it can in theory run about 150% faster. In reality it's about 50% faster in games than HD2k so there's definitely a big difference when relying on the integrated graphics and a reason why the 3225 chip is $20 more expensive.

Also note that 3220T is low power model which has lower clockspeed than i3-3220 without the T.
    Trolling should be.

I guess I'll have to ask if my parents planning play some 3D games or not for the choice of the CPU.

Another small question, Windows 8 or Windows 7? Asking for the multimedia point of view, I guess Metro will be less disturbing on a tv but still...I'm not sure about it XD
    Anyone uses Win8 on an HTPC?