Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

What do you think will be the biggest scientific feat you will see in your life?

Hey all,

Question for you: What do you think will be the biggest scientific discovery / feat you will see in your life?

Personally, I'd love to see the beginning of the colonization of Mars. I know there are manned trips planned for the next decade-or-so, but I want to see people traveling en-masse to the planet.

It's kinda depressing to think that, with all these new discoveries of Earth-like planets out there, we'll never be able to see any of the fruit of these discoveries in terms of actually seeing what's out there. Lucky bastards who will be born in year 10,000+ get to have all the fun

So what do you guys think?

Deleted
    We are currently living in the age of the computer, my first real computer was a Commodore 64, I count myself lucky that I have witnessed such an evolution in technology.

The many wonders involved with the internet.

The complete fulfillment of the transhumanism movement, which could lead to technological immortality.

The rise and, for those a little older, the birth of the internet! Come on, that's huge!

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably the World Wide Web.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    The moment when he setup a community of people living on mars

Skynet...
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

the cure for cancer. seriously, we are coming up with some awesome stuff.

My dream discovery would be faster than light travel. It's theoretically possible, and is currently being researched. We unlock that door, and the rest of the galaxy will open up to us. I don't think it will happen during my life time though.

So, on that note, I will have to go with the succesful launch of a full scale fusion engine. They are estimating that the prototype will be able to make the trip to mars in only 30 days. Exciting stuff.

Take a look at http://www.futuretimeline.net/ and see how many of their predictions you think will come to pass!

I'd say it's the internet. It's something that makes information spreading easy, and, as such, is pretty much the biggest thing ever.
    In the near future? Carbon nanotube batteries, hopefully. It would make fossil fuel completely redundant. Especially considering the way solar power is becoming more efficient every year as technology is pushed further and further.

The most awesome technological feat? Neural Interface technology. Just because it'd be awesome to be able to always access the internet, write, game, play music, film and more without the use of external machinery. Not necessarily something that would revolutionize our world, but it'd definitely be incredibly cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    A cure for auto-immune diseases.

There has been a lot of progress the last ten years, and it would be amazing if our dear doctors could just manage to run that last mile^^
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Deleted
    I'd like to see fusion

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I kinda want to see that Singularity thing that one guy talks about. Where we build an AI that is constantly building faster, smarter AIs, or whatever the exact process is.

Sure, Skynet, blah blah, but just imagine all the cool stuff it would learn after it killed us!

More realistically though, I'm quite excited about wireless batter charging technology. I think there's a lot of neat potential there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

10+ Year Old Account
    tbh i think we've already seen it...
    almost everyone has something in their hand or pocket that can be used to access most of the information ever gathered by mankind within a few seconds, and they use it for facebook and temple run :P
    "Brace yourselves, Trolls are coming."
    Signature By: Mythriz

batteries. They're fuckin' magic.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

fully functional robotic limbs and body parts that are controlled by the human brain, I've seen other threads in this very forum showing off how far we have come, I'm sure I'll be alive to see it become a standard part of life.

The cure for old age, perhaps.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Artificial Intelligence, true intelligence. Or rather, sentience.