Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    it's BS, I put in my total debt which is impossibly high which I can never pay back, with my current value of my meager possessions and it said I was in the top 7% of the richest people in the world. Since I ow close to $100k in student loans and only have about $300 in possessions that means I have a wealth of $-999,699.99 and yet I am richer than someone with no debt?
    You can't do negative numbers. - The lowest it takes is $500USD and then it puts you 74.61% poorest

Some UK figures:

£15,000~ = 2.94% (no skills required)
    £20,000~ = 1.36%
    £25,000~ = 0.75% (typical graduate job)
    £40,000~ = 0.21%
    £50,000~ = 0.12%
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    it's BS, I put in my total debt which is impossibly high which I can never pay back, with my current value of my meager possessions and it said I was in the top 7% of the richest people in the world. Since I ow close to $100k in student loans and only have about $300 in possessions that means I have a wealth of $-999,699.99 and yet I am richer than someone with no debt?
    I guess the reason you're in debt is because you can't do math. $-100,000.00 + $300,00 = $-99,700.00 Not $-999,699.99 which is close to a million in debt.
    But yes, the site doesn't seem to understand negative values.

Deleted
    Im the (my family) 2,178,816th richest man on earth when counting wealth.

My neighbour who's also my best friend, his family is the 66,967th richest man on earth counting wealth, lol they're extreeeeeeeemly rich..

Deleted
    You’re in the top
    1.67%
    richest people in the world by income.

That makes you the
    111,964,307th
    richest person on earth by income.

right where i belong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anowyn View Post
    I find that website very interesting...

One thing that I did not particularly like in the "comparison" though was comparing third world wages to first world prices. There was one part talking about buying a can of soda and how it would take the average laborer in Indonesia 2 hours to buy a can of soda. I would say that is definitely not the case if they are buying a can of soda in Indonesia -- but if they were buying a Coca Cola from the US, perhaps it is.

I was in western China (Qinghai) in 2009 for research and there were families in tiny villages with annual incomes of something like ¥12,000, which was roughly $1,700 USD. That sounds like absolutely nothing, but in those small towns things were very low priced -- you could eat lunch in a restaurant in a nearby town for like ¥3 - ¥5. Most of those families raised their own crops and produced much of their own food.

Even in Xining, which is the capital of Qinghai province, we went to a restaurant for dinner and fed 12 people a huge meal for under ¥200. That was approximately $25 - $30 USD. To be honest, I somewhat felt bad for the families with such low incomes. The villages had little technology, some of the houses were basically large shacks, etc., but to be completely honest these people were quite happy with their lives. I'm sure the same cannot be said for the even poorer countries and regions though -- especially those struggling to get by.

Now, that all having been said... It is really true that you can make a HUGE difference with a fairly small donation. A couple hundred bucks can be a life changing donation for people in the poorest of countries.
    This is true, in many countries where wages are lower, so are prices. But if you look at the bigger picture, you see stuff is worse. Look for example at my country compared to... Denmark. Our salaries, after taxes, are 6 times lower then theirs. Our prices are half though... so even though the prices are smaller here, they're still huge compared to Denmark. Besides that, let's look at taxes, from what I understood Denmark pays about 50% of income in taxes. Now, here, we pay around 32.5%, and the companies pay an additional 20-30% depending on company type. So we should have all the stuff Denmark has, like free and good healthcare, education etc? Well, not really... Our healthcare is only partially free, and it's not very good, our education... it's kind of at the ground etc.

I imagine in countries where incomes fall even more, the situation is even worse. I mean, maybe in... India or somewhere a meal is cheap for their prices (I don't know, just said the first country that came into my mind), but if we look at other aspects, technology still costs about the same as in developed countries and so on, so the people as a whole live worse.
    Yes, maybe people at the country in China, as you said, live good and think they're happy. But you can't not see that education isn't so great there, if you have a medical problem the nearest hospital is who knows how many km away and who knows if it's good for treated with your problem, the people there still work on fields most days with their own hands, not with machines and so on. It's not an easy life and it's hard to get into fights with one another when you're on the field all day coming home falling asleep as a log of how tired you are.

You’re in the top
    0.02%
    richest people in the world by income.

That makes you the
    1,555,957th
    richest person on earth by income.

10+ Year Old Account
    The fact that I make 400x more per hour than the guy in Ghana almost made me click the donate button. Almost.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Payday View Post
    The fact that I make 400x more per hour than the guy in Ghana almost made me click the donate button. Almost.
    Oh, so that's a donation ploy disguised as a test. Very clever of them, but I think I'll pass, then. I'm not too fond of sneaky tactics like these.
    It's time to level up and quit your newbie ways
    You need to go outside and get some new V-rays
    A fresh breath of air will help you talk again
    Inhale, exhale, feel the Oxygen
    - Woodman

Deleted
    6,220,357th

0.09%

Not bad for a Chef

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Some news source linked this site, and thought it was a fun game that also showed people where they stand compared with rest of the world:

http://www.globalrichlist.com/

Select country then:
    Income Calculation
    To get the most accurate placing possible, please include your annual salary after tax, plus any other money that you receive each year: benefits, pensions, money from relatives, even your student loan.

Wealth Calculation
    This route is the most precise – but you’ll need to know your net worth. That’s everything you own (value of your house, assets, shares, income, bank balance, belongings), minus anything you owe (mortgage, debts, student loans)

So, about where did you score?
    Based on income I am in the .06% richest people in the world and the 4,201,370th richest person in the world.

I imagine the fact that you're taking a test online has to raise your score by quite a lot.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Top 0.04% and 2,643,242nd overall.

Top 2.53%

169,511,644th richest person...

Interesting