Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    How would it even be self sufficient?
    well plants for oxygen might work, for energy solarpanels.... but u need batteries. marks as far as i know has extreme temperatures which constantly will train the energy of the station for cooling up or heating up.
    what are the best accumulators out there? how many cycles will they last, and how many could u take to mars?
    what about water?
    the food will be obviously covered by plants, but i think its fair to assume that that wont be enough. so you need animals there. will those survive the trip to the mars? can they breed in those extreme conditions? what if they all die because of some infections?
    and there are more things like just a different day and night cycle that sound really minor but can have ha huge impact on the psyche of those people.
    a much shorter traveltime would lead to supplies being a nonissue and a much faster expansion of the base thus makeing everything so much easier (more space for animals and plants ect)
    i still say: wait for the tech to be avaiable, then do it whithout just sacrificing people as lab rats. risk is one think but thats just insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    Isn't that laying it on a little thick? I mean, if they're actually capable of demonstrating what they claim, it'd certainly be interesting. They are however making a number of really brazen claims, so a bit of skepticism in response is not only natural, it's mandatory.

From 2013 to 2020 -- which comes out to $7.32bn a year, still less than half of NASA's budget even adjusted for cuts and sequestration effects. Roscosmos has big thoughts for the future about a human presence on Mars, but the colonization stage is three decades beyond anything they're looking into from this period of funding.

NASA has drafted and examined all sorts of manned Mars proposals over the years, but the White House and Congress dictate what ultimately those plans will be in the form of policy.

I'd need a lot of evidence demonstrating their intentions and capabilities before I'd consider lavishing them with praise.
    Its not really laying it on thick since its better to try and fail than just do nothing like has happened for the past 40 years of space exploration.

Russia has already completed an earth based simulation of a Mars mission in 2011. They also have the greatest expertise when it comes to extended missions in space. Russia has already proved in the past to be able to compete with NASA with a lesser budget. In fact it was cheaper to send satelights into space with Russians and ESA than it was with NASA.

If the wind changes direction because the public's interest is peaked you will find the US government will start backing these things a lot more. I doubt the US government would want to be beat by anyone else to Mars.

Of course they need praise. Praise for trying at least to push us forward and spark interest in something that has been burred under a mountain of braindead mass media. The more science gets publicized the better and anyone that helps it be pushed to the forefront deserves praise.

Also this is a multi stage mission. Only the 1st 2-4 people would be sent in 2023. A further 2-4 every 2 years. There is more time than people realize to raise the said funds. It is also still early stages but to say its sick or to just flat out say its bullshit or a scam ect ect is just the sort of attitude that is holding back our progress.

The first step for our world to be like the Star wars universe - I can only say, wooohooo

Quote Originally Posted by kakihara View Post
    How would it even be self sufficient?
    well plants for oxygen might work, for energy solarpanels.... but u need batteries. marks as far as i know has extreme temperatures which constantly will train the energy of the station for cooling up or heating up.
    what are the best accumulators out there? how many cycles will they last, and how many could u take to mars?
    what about water?
    the food will be obviously covered by plants, but i think its fair to assume that that wont be enough. so you need animals there. will those survive the trip to the mars? can they breed in those extreme conditions? what if they all die because of some infections?
    and there are more things like just a different day and night cycle that sound really minor but can have ha huge impact on the psyche of those people.
    a much shorter traveltime would lead to supplies being a nonissue and a much faster expansion of the base thus makeing everything so much easier (more space for animals and plants ect)
    i still say: wait for the tech to be avaiable, then do it whithout just sacrificing people as lab rats. risk is one think but thats just insane.
    Oxygen from plants wouldnt be an issue at all its been well tested.
    Solar, wind, nuclear. There would have to be good insulation to regulate the temperature.
    Water would be recycled. Its not a problem either. The water on MIR and the international space station is the same water. These are closed loop systems so all the water they take there is all the water they will have and it will just cycle through the various systems.
    Food would just be plants. Lots of plants. A single farmer in the old days could supply his family with enough food (with animals) but with modern technology crop yeilds are significantly higher and so although the people would not really have much choices in what to eat as long as they tend to the plants they shouldnt be too troubled by food without needing animals.
    The day on mars is only 40 mins longer than earth so that wont be a big deal either.

The tech is available simulations have already been done and completed by the russians. Many systems such as the water recycling have been in active use on the 2 space stations for decades. We are more than ready to go. The only thing we lack is people with the balls to invest money to send people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frah View Post
    Its not really laying it on thick since its better to try and fail than just do nothing like has happened for the past 40 years of space exploration.
    Nothing? Why even resort to this kind of hyperbole?

Russia has already completed an earth based simulation of a Mars mission in 2011...
    All well and good, but it makes no difference to the fact that Roscosmos' future Mars plans aren't in reality designed like you originally tried to suggest. They have big ideas for the future, sure, but the funding promised to them between now and 2020 does not involve Mars colonization. You're trying to romanticize that notion to mesh with Mars One, but that's a daydream right now at best.

In fact it was cheaper to send satelights into space with Russians and ESA than it was with NASA.
    Oh? Which launches are you comparing, and how are you evaluating the costs?

If the wind changes direction because the public's interest is peaked you will find the US government will start backing these things a lot more. I doubt the US government would want to be beat by anyone else to Mars.
    Current US space policy does call for at least a Mars fly-by some 20 years from now, but that might change depending on the outlook of the next presidential administration. I wouldn't be so quick to project that desire on the government in general; if they were really serious about wanting to make the first human trips to Mars, they've had ample proposals going back to the 1970s.

Of course they need praise. Praise for trying at least to push us forward and spark interest in something that has been burred under a mountain of braindead mass media. The more science gets publicized the better and anyone that helps it be pushed to the forefront deserves praise.
    Lots of efforts can spark interest or make wild claims though. I think we should reserve praise for achievements instead of throwing it at empty promises.

Also this is a multi stage mission. Only the 1st 2-4 people would be sent in 2023. A further 2-4 every 2 years. There is more time than people realize to raise the said funds.
    I know what their timeline says. Just like yourself, they're really optimistic about it too -- but like I noted in my first post here, I don't think their mission plans are feasible on such a shoestring budget (nor is their source of income reliable), and any sequence of launch or delivery or EDL problems could be catastrophic. They don't even address contingencies or overruns. That's problematic.

It is also still early stages but to say its sick or to just flat out say its bullshit or a scam ect ect is just the sort of attitude that is holding back our progress.
    I wouldn't necessarily go that far, but in this and previous threads several of us have described noteworthy concerns about the project, and I haven't seen anyone even try to address those concerns to date. I don't blame anyone for thinking the application fee is a bit suspicious either.

---------- Post added 2013-04-23 at 06:40 PM ----------

We are more than ready to go.
    Except the vehicles they're planning on using haven't even been built yet, so... at a bare minimum, no, we're not. Your eagerness is cutting all kinds of corners, even in looking at a program that's far less risk averse than NASA and its international partners.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd go just for the window seat tbh, that view.... omgz
    "One touch of nature makes the whole world kin." - William Shakespeare

~ Sig and Avatar by Shyama <3 ~

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know why this is sick and disgusting >___>; ...

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it is a pretty cool idea. I mean, it isn't for me but it is pretty novel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lets goooooooo \o/
    "One touch of nature makes the whole world kin." - William Shakespeare

~ Sig and Avatar by Shyama <3 ~

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Implying the planet is overpopulated; it isn't. It can sustain a -whole- lot more, point of fact.
    That's simply bullshit. The planet is overpopulated as fuck at the moment. The proper amount of people for Earth would be around 600mil if I recall.
    You do realize that in order to "sustain" even us all the food we have at the moment isn't even close to being natural right? The tomatoes you grow in your back yard aren't natural, they went through mutations. Bio food isn't natural either.
    When talking about natural food people think at the difference between "Big company X uses chemicals and shit to grow food more and faster with less resources! But that doesn't affect me! I grow my own!". The only way you would believe that is if you were completely ignorant or plain stupid.

We also have millions dying each day due to starvation, diseases, filth and lack of clean WATER.
    This planet isn't big enough for 7 bil people to leave in decent conditions. Staying another 1000 years on this planet alone is possible but it would get to the extent of living in 2sq meter chambers next to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Calelith View Post
    Everyone has to die, better to die for something than nothing.
    Die for ratings? more power to you.

I'd watch the show, but if it's boring and I stop watching it, don't come crying to me how there's not enough money to send supplies to them. Don't use tax money either, OK? have them give up US citizenship, as it's a one-direction flight, you're now a citizen of that show.

Just imagine if all the money our government spent on wars was put into a project like this...

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Just imagine if all the money our government spent on wars was put into a project like this...
    Thats like saying, imagine if the goverment put all the money they spent into prevention and apprehension of terrorists into this

I have no idea why anyone would consider this "sick and disgusting." I think it's awesome. If I was going to be older, or didn't have a family, I'd probably sign up for it.

Everything abou the mission will be broadcasted live via tv. It is like big brother. I just think they try to do that before we actually have the tech and knowledge to do it right. I doubt they will be able to set up a steady base that will last years until new supplies arrive. what i find sick about it is that i think the risk is so extremly high that it will likely be a 100% suicide mission.
    Also they will send inexpierienced people which just adds to that.
    I dont think there is something special on Mars that we need to rush for. Better to make it safe.
    Its not like they are drafting you to do so. Someone has to be the explorer... not to mention its in 2022.. I'm sure you will be going through tons of training and health tests...

So lemme get this straight:

You think it's "sick and disgusting" that someone would want to be one of the first humans on Mars, and would take the journey even if they couldn't make it back?

You realize that's essentially what exploration "was" back in the 15th century, yes? You'd go out to see and there was a very high risk that you wouldn't come back. Obviously in this case, there's no chance at all, but it's not all that different. Many who landed in Central America never saw Europe again, voluntarily or otherwise.

And you say "Why can't we just wait til we have more reliable tech (or something similar) but you realize this has to be tested eventually right? Humans have to take the plunge, and measure the effects of deeper space travel in manned vessels, before we can just start shuttling people over there. That was an incredibly idealized statement you made. Maybe I'm cynical, but just let people go out in a blaze of glory if they want to.

It honestly helps us get further to greater space travel anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhallows View Post
    So lemme get this straight:

You think it's "sick and disgusting" that someone would want to be one of the first humans on Mars, and would take the journey even if they couldn't make it back?

You realize that's essentially what exploration "was" back in the 15th century, yes? You'd go out to see and there was a very high risk that you wouldn't come back. Obviously in this case, there's no chance at all, but it's not all that different. Many who landed in Central America never saw Europe again, voluntarily or otherwise.

And you say "Why can't we just wait til we have more reliable tech (or something similar) but you realize this has to be tested eventually right? Humans have to take the plunge, and measure the effects of deeper space travel in manned vessels, before we can just start shuttling people over there. That was an incredibly idealized statement you made. Maybe I'm cynical, but just let people go out in a blaze of glory if they want to.

It honestly helps us get further to greater space travel anyway.
    You know whats crazy to me? Your common household computer or cell phone was way more advanced than the shuttle that landed on the moon. Not sure how true that is, but it was in an article I read a long time ago about the moon landing.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/22/wo...ket/?hpt=hp_t3

Honestly, i find it sick and disgusting. What is so important to go to Mars asap?
    Wait until you can send a spaceship there in day and not months. Who ever goes there will likely die during the flight, the landing or shortly after because some system probably fails.
    I think this is a suicide mission and nothing else.
    I'm very glad you weren't on a dock in Spain in 1492.

That said though, NASA is a huge waste of public money. Should have been privatized long ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    /FACEPALM at most of the responses on this forum. Talking about ITS A SUICIDE MISSION and WE WONT MAKE IT YOU WILL DIE. We are talking a good 10 years people. With science FINALLY being "TRENDY" its only a matter of time before we can make it to mars safe and sound just as easy as a flight to Japan. 10 years can do A LOT of things to a populous.

Deleted
    So they're sending 2 men and 2 women for possible reproduction, Does this mean gay people can't go? serious question.