Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    Clearly from the sig, he's a GW2 fanboy.
    I agree with him and am not a GW2 fanboy. I dislike the company Blizzard has turned into and merely refuse to give them my money in any form for any of their or their affiliated products. I mainly just keep watch to see when new raids and the like come out so I know when one of my friends that still plays and raids is going to disappear off the map for 3+ weeks. The chance of them going back to their core values honestly is about the same chance of McDonalds going back to the core values and quality they had when they were just a small town burger joint.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anathaema View Post
    I have had my share of comebacks ranging from the 7 free days to "semi-hc raiding".

I usually buy 30days when time allows for a sink, otherwise family>career>games
    This is exactly what seems to be my pattern for resubbing to WoW. Every 3 or 4 months I sub for a month and if I either don't have the time to play, don't have the time to play enough to justify the $15.00 a month, or just am not enjoying myself enough, I don't renew the sub. Apart from abundance of time, I usually resub when I'm feeling nostalgic or get the thinking "hey, it's been a while; I wonder what's happening in the old World of Warcraft.".

I have already come back to the game, but I had quit for a year or so. The game is so dreadfully dull because the core principle of servers has lost it's edge. Servers were secluded areas where only u and the server could communicate and play together. Now it's cross-realm battlegrounds, cross-realm raiding, cross-realm leveling, the feeling of kinship and respect has all but left the game. Back at lvl 60-70 I knew a core group of people who logged on every day, and we created groups to level, bg, and pve, from their our friendship grew. Today, no one "finds" groups to do anything, and while I like not having to wait to do anything in comparison to the 1 hour wait for a bg back in the day, it has completely lost it's edge of respect. If you did well in a dungeon, raid, bg, duel, etc, you were recognized, your e-ego grew, it was a nice feeling being respected for your skill. Now you enter a BG, don't remember if u faced them in the last BG or not. Enter a raid, 10% of the ppl are AFK and no one cares for anyone else. The lack of community has ruined this game for me.

I doubt I will ever get the feeling of when I got a epic at lvl 60 either, every time one of the pieces dropped I had a stroke, if I actually received it out of the 20 or so people in the 40 man raid who needed it, I had a heart attack. I will never get that feeling again, epics really were epics back then.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisWillNotStand View Post
    Would you stay away as long as the game doesn't become free to play, or would you return if the next expansion or the one after turned back to core Warcraft values and/or focused its PVE gameplay on fun/skill instead of pure grind? (overhaul of the current 8 year old system)
    Its never going to turn back so threads like these are pointless.

Blizzard has long decided on a different approach and direction for the game. You think the LFD and LFR will go away? It will not. Its what is holding down a vast majority of casuals and casual raiders.

The over implementation of dailies was a clear sign that Blizzard is trying to cater to the casual crowd. They want to people to feel like they are achieving something and thus you get those 5 measly Valor Points for each daily.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would you stay away as long as the game doesn't become free to play, or would you return if the next expansion or the one after turned back to core Warcraft values and/or focused its PVE gameplay on fun/skill instead of pure grind? (overhaul of the current 8 year old system)
    I've been unsubbed since 4.3 and the only thing that will get me back is the exclusion of PvE realms from CRZ and/or the abolition of gated daily quest rep grinds.

Been playing on a Vanilla server for months and loving it.

A lot of people seem to be confusing core Warcraft values with core World of Warcraft values.

Core Warcraft values used to mean good storytelling, good dialogue writing, consistent plot, lovable/hateable enemies, a war like feeling in whatever you did, memorable moments and originality in gameplay.

The original WoW had some of those themes since it came down straight from Warcraft 3, but even with the original WoW you realized right away that it wasn't so much focused on the fun of war as on the grind of gear.

Crossroads/Southshore raids, week long AVs and world ganking were all exceptions, but that was because those were exactly core Warcraft values. Many quests and most of the dungeons/raids had that as well, however, completing them was focused foremost on the grind, and second on actually getting to experience them.

People hopping in world PVP didn't give a shit about each other's gear back then, it was all about the fun and insanity. Today it's all about your arena rating and amount time wasted gathering more purple written pixels.

Quitting is easy, I've done it thousands of times.

But in seriousness, I find just buy the game cards 2 months at a time, play for 2 months then stop playing for a few months til you REALLY want to play again then buy another game card. Makes it a lot easier to enjoy the game if you aren't subbed for 12 months a year, I find.

I'm stopping because i'll start an education soon and i wont have time to raid at the level i want to. I wont quit 100%, but maybe log on every now and then to see stuff, but i will barely be playing.
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

A lot of people seem to be confusing core Warcraft values with core World of Warcraft values.

Core Warcraft values used to mean good storytelling, good dialogue writing, consistent plot, lovable/hateable enemies, a war like feeling in whatever you did, memorable moments and originality in gameplay.

The original WoW had some of those themes since it came down straight from Warcraft 3, but even with the original WoW you realized right away that it wasn't so much focused on the fun of war as on the grind of gear.

Crossroads/Southshore raids, week long AVs and world ganking were all exceptions, but that was because those were exactly core Warcraft values. Many quests and most of the dungeons/raids had that as well, however, completing them was focused foremost on the grind, and second on actually getting to experience them.

People hopping in world PVP didn't give a shit about each other's gear back then, it was all about the fun and insanity. Today it's all about your arena rating and amount time wasted gathering more purple written pixels.
    How do you get by with nostalgia for a game that never actually existed?

10+ Year Old Account
    I would think people are more likely to return if the game focused on its pvp gameplay and got back its vanilla/tbc level of grinding.
    Level exp for 1-90 increased 1000%, removal of all heirlooms, back to elite mobs that ate half your hp in one swing, back to farming resistance gear for progress, real costs for riding (200k would be about equivalent today of epic riding).

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Hey listen, if you need to increase your post count even further with one liners the My Little Pony thread serves just that.

However, if you want to say something to me or ask me something start making some goddamn sense cause right now I have no idea in hell what you're trying to say.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    That's the best kind of nostalgia!

(Not to say you're being accurate there.)
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Free to play or not isn't particularly a concern (although Pay to Win is). I very much liked WoW how it was back in Vanilla/BC. Keep some of the interface polishing, but otherwise revert back to that model (or as close as they can get) for gameplay and just provide content and I'd be happy. Pandaria made some steps in that direction, I think, but not nearly enough. Add in the wretched, reeking, steaming, mountain-sized pile of Tauren excrement that replaced talent trees and Blizzard pretty much assured that I wouldn't be playing MoP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    Cross-realm arena if they want anything more than 7 free days from me, lol.
    This would be a big thing, I think. I stopped playing at the start of MoP because my friends weren't playing and my guild was too busy raiding to ever do arena. Yet a few other friends I have on real id are on different realms and would've played with me, one still plays and would like to do it now. It's definitely needed imo. Luckily a friend on my realm said he wanted to play so I've started again ;D

Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    Free to play or not isn't particularly a concern (although Pay to Win is). I very much liked WoW how it was back in Vanilla/BC. Keep some of the interface polishing, but otherwise revert back to that model (or as close as they can get) for gameplay and just provide content and I'd be happy. Pandaria made some steps in that direction, I think, but not nearly enough. Add in the wretched, reeking, steaming, mountain-sized pile of Tauren excrement that replaced talent trees and Blizzard pretty much assured that I wouldn't be playing MoP.

I never found the old talent trees to be compelling and actually involve "choice." Any hybrid specs that may have worked with certain combinations of talents were not intended judging by blizzard changing locations and tiers of talents.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Senjinone View Post
    Are you joking?
    Why on earth would they make it easier when there is LFR?
    Easy there, he's just saying what would make him return

A lot of wow haters in this thread I see. I for one absolutely love WoW in most its incarnations, however I simply do not have the time to play. I wish I could play this game so much... But I can't =( not enough time... When I'm 50 I'll probably retire and just play on wow private servers all the time.

Stays with a subscription model, or doesn't go F2P? There's the B2P model as well, and I'd probably drop money on that. They could even add in a buy-blizz-credits-with-gold and then you could pay for your subscription with gold rather than spend money; I might come back to that.

If it were to stay with a subscription, I doubt there's much at all they could really do to pull me back in. The one draw that WoW really has for me is it's an MMO set in a universe I'm quite a fan of, but narrative direction doesn't really foster that; if I want to RP I can do it somewhere else, and I can keep up with the story on here or on Youtube. If it were an immersive, player-driven world, I might consider it, but there's a snowball's chance in hell of that happening.

If I really want to grind quests/dailies somewhere, I can go to SWTOR; I actually kinda like it's F2P system once you've gotten over the hump of lolbuyactionbars, getting money and buying account unlocks fills WoW's niche. I'm a fan of GW2's PvP over WoW's, so I'd rather go there. If I didn't have to grind gear for PvE, I might drop in once an expac to go hit up LFR and each of the dungeons and then be done with it, but the LFR grind is such a mind-numbing bore that I don't really find it worthwhile.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Hey listen, if you need to increase your post count even further with one liners the My Little Pony thread serves just that.

However, if you want to say something to me or ask me something start making some goddamn sense cause right now I have no idea in hell what you're trying to say.
    The Warcraft games that have these "core values" that you seem to cherish DO NOT EXIST.

Blizzard's writing really, really isn't that good. And for you to ascribe to them such a thing as "consistent writing" only confirms you wearing the thickest nostalgia goggles known to man. Every single installment in the Warcraft franchise brought with it retcons. And all the other complements you lauded on them are only really applicable to Warcraft 3 since none of the earlier installments had ANY DIALOGUE OR CHARACTERS TO SPEAK OF. Oh, there were hero units. They're just not worth mentioning since everything they did was retconned in the next game.

I love Warcraft, but I'm not blind to its problems. To think that World of Warcraft was what came along and changed things it to confirm you just plain weren't paying attention. They were great games, some of the greatest RTS games to grace the whole world. But the writing just plain isn't that great. I love it, but it's not great.

But, hey, lets not forget you're yet another in the long line of people who thinks world PVP was this awesome and wonderful thing and not really the bile spewing bitch fests that ground low level questing to a halt all the people who were actually there and didn't take pleasure in griefing others know it to be. I'd like to know what exactly makes you think zerging a town and then running away before the elite guards respawned and steamrolled everyone captured "core Warcraft values".

And, on top of all this, I'd like to know why you're here bitching about this in 2013. You're really, REALLY late with the kind of things you're complaining about.

Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    It's not so much that TBC was bad, but more so that the game has greatly improved since then.

For example, nobody looks back fondly on the raid model of separate 10m and 25m raids.
    Well I do so I guess your entire premise has been proven wrong.

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*