Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
    MoP was $40, not that I ever said that was alright either, in fact I always though paying for an expansion was a scam...

EvE-Online is still running, going on 10 years now and they just recently got more than 500k subscribers and they not once during those 10 years charged for content, strange how it seems no other developer can manage that.
    Well EvE has its niche playerbase and so does SWTOR I don't mind paying for a small expansion if I'm getting my share of content. I've definitely got my moneys worth so far though. Of course, thats just my opinion. I am also the person who pays $60 for a game you can beat in <10 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    If Bioware put the expansion on the CM, and then raised the credit cap for preferred players, subscribers could buy expansions and sell them on the GTN for a ton of credits.
    There is a reason they don't allow that, you would then sell the "expansion" you bought with your stipend to a free to play member, BW then gets nothing extra as your stipend is a part of your subscription. Instead they chose to not allow it to be sold like that hence any free to play member needs to pay BW for access.

At the end of the day it's quite sad to watch from the outside, they announce "free to play", take several months to make a cash shop before going "free to play", to announce a new "expansion" that will raise the level cap for no other reason than to force those pesky freeloaders to pay if they want to play the current game...

---------- Post added 2013-05-02 at 06:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    Well EvE has its niche playerbase
    Which was the point, they started out with less than 50k subscribers 10 years ago and still managed to release two expansions a year for the last 8 year...without charging a dime extra.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Which was the point, they started out with less than 50k subscribers 10 years ago and still managed to release two expansions a year for the last 8 year...without charging a dime extra.
    Yeah...but Eve is made by Stephen Hawking. He just spends a day typing ones and zeroes into spreadsheets and voila Eve expansions are born.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Yeah...but Eve is made by Stephen Hawking. He just spends a day typing ones and zeroes into spreadsheets and voila Eve expansions are born.
    Yeah, the name Eve was actually just a typo. The original name of the game was Steve.

(I call it a hawking hole)
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    I would seriously have NO problem with Makeb / 2.0 if it was simply offered in the Cartel Shop and could be purchased with Cartel Coin (that Subscribers have been earning every month for instance). My biggest gripe is that you HAVE to pay cash for it, there's no alternative. This is one thing I really like about The Secret World's content updates, and much prefer their style (also because they purpously bring you back to previous zones).

*Sidenote: I've resisted buying Makeb on principle, but I am really about to break down and get it because I do really enjoy SWTOR. I feel so dirty. T_T

Caught this from a site I don't follow much...
    http://www.swtor-rp.com/home/m/1639454/article/1454938

SWTOR-RP Exclusive: Appearance Designer Kiosk Q&A! [updated]

Game Update 2.1: Customization brings us a lot of new goodies to play with, among them being the Appearance Designer Kiosks which allows you to change your character's eye color, scars, hairstyle, and even species. We had the chance to chat with BioWare Producer Cory Bulter about these Appearance Designer Kiosks and ask him a few questions about this particular feature. Read on below for this SWTOR-RP exclusive!

SWTOR-RP: Will there ever be an option to allow for some of the features for one class to become available on another -- say like Bounty Hunter tattoos on a Smuggler?

Cory Butler: Sharing class specific customization option between Legacy characters is an interesting idea. No immediate plan to add these options, but it is something we've been talking about.

You mentioned that the Appearance Designer can be used with Cartel Coins, and that subscribers have a substantial discount. You also mentioned that they can purchase a species with credits. Will you give more details regarding how that works and specifically the differences in experiences between subscribers, preferred, and free-to-play players?

All Appearance Designer options are available to all types of players for Cartel Coins. Legacy species unlocks for credits will be available in the Appearance Designer interface but will function exactly like it does in the Legacy or Cartel Market interfaces. The Cathar species unlock will be available to all types of players for Cartel Coins only -- discounted for Subscribers. For example, if you're a subscriber and you wish to change your level 55 Smuggler's species to Chiss and you have not yet unlocked Chiss via Legacy or gameplay, in the Appearance Designer interface, you will see a Customization Cost in Cartel Coins for the species change and a dropdown that shows the species unlock cost in Cartel Coins or Credits. The Customization Cost plus the Unlock Cost is the total cost to change to that particular species. If you have already unlocked that species via Legacy, gameplay, or Cartel Market, then you only see a Customization Cost listed.

[Editor's note: BioWare has clarified that there is a discount on a species change within the Appearance Designer, but not on the Cathar unlock. Hopefully, that clears up the confusion. Cathar will cost 600 CCs for everyone.]

What are the specific limitations in using the Appearance Designer? For instance, is there a cooldown on changes or limit on the number of times the Designer can be used? What about a buyback option?

There are no cooldowns or buy back options associated with the Appearance Designer. You will receive a confirmation pop-up prior to purchasing your customizations. The ability to preview all changes before purchasing should help players perfect their look before buying.

Will the Designer's features extend beyond the obvious to greater options like character's name or maybe gender?

Character Renames will also be coming in Game Update 2.1 and can be found in the unlock section of the Cartel Market. Gender changes are not in the plans.

You mentioned that you will be adding more appearance options in the future such as hairstyles. Would any further body type options also be in the making?

No plans to add additional body types any time soon. As always, we will keep our ear to the ground and based on community feedback we will reevaluate as needed.

Thank you, Cory. We roleplayers cannot wait to see this live in-game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some positives and some negatives. It's like they can't commit to providing 100% quality service. Ehh...I guess some people will be very glad they have these options available as they are long overdue.

Really sucks to hear them say Cathar: Everyone pays.
    You want more body types instead of the same 4 models with different faces slapped on? Never going to happen.

Otherwise, good to start getting all of these account services in now. They are exactly the kinds of things that should be monetized in a F2P model and I don't have a problem with it.
    BAD WOLF

oh wow, that cathar lady is cute. think i just found the face i'll be using for all of my cathar ^_^

More updates on Cathar/Haircuts/Dyes

Official Site info:

http://www.swtor.com/gameupdates/cus...InsiderFor-001

Here's a nice bone they threw at subs, fyi:

NOTE: Subscribers receive one free Character Rename, Legacy Rename, and Guild Rename per account. Not a Subscriber?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pensz View Post
    Here's a nice bone they threw at subs, fyi
    Hrmm....maybe the wails of us all are starting to pile up on them. I'm liking this trend of rewarding subscribers and hope it increases because it is the biggest thing apart from content that is plaguing the game right now. They have a lot of time and subs to make up for, so here's to hoping the next large pack throws a whale bone to subs.
    BAD WOLF

I think it's a much better strategy to reward the subscribers than to punish the free to play players.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensz View Post
    More updates on Cathar/Haircuts/Dyes

Official Site info:

http://www.swtor.com/gameupdates/cus...InsiderFor-001
    Interesting bit from that link as well:

Escrow Deduction: If you are a Free-to-Play or Preferred Status Player who is at your credit cap, you can transfer credits from your Escrow (overflow) account to your game account. For more information, visit: www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com/free/features.

Hm...not quite a credits cap lift or extension, but it might be an ok compromise depending on how they do it.

Quote Originally Posted by efsunshine View Post
    Interesting bit from that link as well:

Escrow Deduction: If you are a Free-to-Play or Preferred Status Player who is at your credit cap, you can transfer credits from your Escrow (overflow) account to your game account. For more information, visit: www.StarWarsTheOldRepublic.com/free/features.

Hm...not quite a credits cap lift or extension, but it might be an ok compromise depending on how they do it.
    Well, at least we can move beyond the "They are holding my 2 million credits hostage" complaint.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

I don't understand the big deal people make about the entire F2P/P2P model, the CM only charges you for purely cosmetic stuff when you have a sub and allows people without sub to experience the game better by paying for it if they want to, I think it's a solid system.

Now don't give me the bullocks about character customization that is supposed to be free, just look at WoW, they charge for name changes, faction changes, character customisation, mini pets and mounts, why is it a big deal when EA/BW does it and not when Activision/Blizzard does it?

Quote Originally Posted by Edc View Post
    I don't understand the big deal people make about the entire F2P/P2P model, the CM only charges you for purely cosmetic stuff when you have a sub and allows people without sub to experience the game better by paying for it if they want to, I think it's a solid system.
    Because it's not just cosmetic stuff, it's basically everything at this point, even if you're a subscriber. It's like the took every payment method around and use them all instead of picking one.

Now don't give me the bullocks about character customization that is supposed to be free, just look at WoW, they charge for name changes, faction changes, character customisation, mini pets and mounts, why is it a big deal when EA/BW does it and not when Activision/Blizzard does it?
    Personally I think Blizzard's character services and cash shop is a total ripoff as well, I'd venture a guess that it's the simple fact that they don't nickel and dime their customers at every corner though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it's not just cosmetic stuff, it's basically everything at this point, even if you're a subscriber. It's like the took every payment method around and use them all instead of picking one.

Personally I think Blizzard's character services and cash shop is a total ripoff as well, I'd venture a guess that it's the simple fact that they don't nickel and dime their customers at every corner though.
    EA does, but its not mandatory. Its all optional. If someone doesn't subscribe and wants to have options to pay for certain services or parts of the game- why is that a bad thing? You don't have to pay for it if you don't want to, and having the option doesn't make it suddenly worse. Sure, the costs of things could be adjusted but having options is great and I don't see too many people really complaining about it. If you want to pay nothing... well you get what you pay for. That is life.

Also, I recall many times having to race change in WoW due to certain races being more optimal more my class after a content patch or class changes. Sure, I didn't *have* to race change- but to stay competitive at a top level it was pretty much necessary, though I didn't see people complaining about that.
    Last edited by Forsedar; 2013-05-03 at 08:56 PM.

EA does, but its not mandatory. Its all optional. If someone doesn't subscribe and wants to have options to pay for certain services or parts of the game- why is that a bad thing? You don't have to pay for it if you don't want to, and having the option doesn't make it suddenly worse. Sure, the costs of things could be adjusted but having options is great and I don't see too many people really complaining about it. If you want to pay nothing... well you get what you pay for. That is life.
    It's not all optional though...

If you want to experience the full game there is no way but through the cash shop, subscriber since day one or not. It's not that they went "free to play", it's not that they sold their "expansion" (read DLC) as a B2P addition, it's not that they have a subscription, it's that they combine all those...for everyone no matter your preference.

Also, I recall many times having to race change in WoW due to certain races being more optimal more my class after a content patch or class changes. Sure, I didn't *have* to race change- but to stay competitive at a top level it was pretty much necessary, though I didn't see people complaining about that.
    And I gave you my theory why that is (although I know plenty that complained in guilds I been in the past) and said what I think about Blizzard's cash shop...

That some one else is doing something isn't a defense for others to do the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    the CM only charges you for purely cosmetic stuff
    Ship parts, gear with stats, and special cartel market only reputation says hello!
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Ship parts, gear with stats, and special cartel market only reputation says hello!
    spaceship combat is just a mini game, the gear with stats is only useful for one planet, and the things for sale from the contraband resale corp. are cosmetic. there's nothing in there that's needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcstunner View Post
    spaceship combat is just a mini game, the gear with stats is only useful for one planet, and the things for sale from the contraband resale corp. are cosmetic. there's nothing in there that's needed.
    I guess you missed the part where the argument was the CM only has cosmetic items, which is completely nonfactual. Instead you'd rather have an argument with me I didn't make. Not even going to get into the details of destroying this new argument as it's been done plenty of times before on here.
    BAD WOLF