Thread: pet help

Deleted

pet help

im currently survival and want to know a good pet to use in pvp and what special abilities will benefit my specc

I'd recommend a Crane for Lullaby.

10+ Year Old Account
    I PvP as BM but when I went looking for info on the best pet to use, shale spider and crane were listed as tops. I personally use a shale spider pretty much always or occasionally a spirit porcupine for the heal...as survival obviously you're not going to be able to (just info in case you ever try BM for PvP).

I'd agree with the previous poster who said crane, or you could try out a regular spider if you like the web. Depends on if you would rather have the sleep or the root.

Deleted
    im using a warp strider they have a hamstring style ability on a 15 sec cooldown and lasts for like 7 seconds

10+ Year Old Account
    Concussive shot and "Time Warp" (the warp stalker ability) are both a 50% slow for 6 seconds. The pet ability has a 15 second cd and concussive shot has a 5 second cd. Snares do not stack. If you're using concussive shot appropriately you should be able to keep someone chain snared if that's your aim.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't want a separate, different CC from your pet unless you're planning on cc'ing multiple people with snares at one time.

Deleted
    well i play as survival in pvp what buffs would fit it best as it is magic based

dragon hawk:

Fire Breath [Special Ability]
    40 yd range
    Instant 30 sec cooldown
    Breaths Fire on the target, increasing magic damage taken by 8% for 45 sec.

Wind Serpent

Lightning Breath [Special Ability]
    40 yd range
    Instant 30 sec cooldown
    Breathes lightning, increasing magic damage taken by 8% for 45 sec.

More info can be found at petopia

Quote Originally Posted by warcraftmew View Post
    well i play as survival in pvp what buffs would fit it best as it is magic based
    The fact that Survival does the most magic damage of the three specs isn't really a relevant point in choosing a pet. You want to choose a pet with a utility skill that's going to help you offensively, defensively, or both.

Let's say a warrior is wrecking your face. Would you rather disarm him, or make him take more magic damage?
    A mage has you frozen to the ground. Would you rather silence him, or make him take more magic damage?
    What if a slippery feral is getting away from you. Would you rather have the ability to stun or root him, or make him take more magic damage?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygoneblue View Post
    The fact that Survival does the most magic damage of the three specs isn't really a relevant point in choosing a pet. You want to choose a pet with a utility skill that's going to help you offensively, defensively, or both.

Let's say a warrior is wrecking your face. Would you rather disarm him, or make him take more magic damage?
    A mage has you frozen to the ground. Would you rather silence him, or make him take more magic damage?
    What if a slippery feral is getting away from you. Would you rather have the ability to stun or root him, or make him take more magic damage?
    yeah theres no pet that does all that and i captured sunwing as a pet a rare black dragonhawk

Quote Originally Posted by THRiLL KiLL View Post
    dragon hawk:

Fire Breath [Special Ability]
    40 yd range
    Instant 30 sec cooldown
    Breaths Fire on the target, increasing magic damage taken by 8% for 45 sec.

Wind Serpent

Lightning Breath [Special Ability]
    40 yd range
    Instant 30 sec cooldown
    Breathes lightning, increasing magic damage taken by 8% for 45 sec.

More info can be found at petopia
    It's 5% now.

10+ Year Old Account
    You could get the new Direhorns from the Isle of Giants. They have a spell reflect.

Another good pet would be a monkey/chimp. They have a ranged stun.

Quote Originally Posted by warcraftmew View Post
    yeah theres no pet that does all that and i captured sunwing as a pet a rare black dragonhawk
    There's no single pet that does all that, yes, but you're missing the point. Each of those cases does have a pet available, and in each case that pet would be far better than increased magic damage.

Sporebat. It makes rogues bleed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonwolfe View Post
    In other words, he's worried about how sharp your bayonet is when you are firing RPG's.

Deleted
    As a new hunter only focusing on PvP doesnt the Lullaby ability from Cranes break on Dot dmg taken from Black Arrow, Serpent Sting and Explosive Shot? One more question is does the Freeze Trap break from the same abilities?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yewturn View Post
    You could get the new Direhorns from the Isle of Giants. They have a spell reflect.
    I think that does apply to the pet itself...the hunter would have to be behind the pet when the pet casts the spell reflect because it's a cone in front of it. I might be wrong on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Avengex View Post
    As a new hunter only focusing on PvP doesnt the Lullaby ability from Cranes break on Dot dmg taken from Black Arrow, Serpent Sting and Explosive Shot? One more question is does the Freeze Trap break from the same abilities?
    I can't answer on the lullaby breaking but the solution if you have dots on someone you want to freeze trap is Glyph of Solace. Most pet abilities are short cc's...lullaby is 4 seconds so if it does break you're probably not losing all that much cc'd time. That's why I much prefer BM for PvP and the shale spider's 3 second web wrap stun. Add to that the fact that we're basically losing intimidation if Blizzard doesn't make a change and not put in on the same talent tier as silencing shot in 5.3, and the stun from the pet will be well worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yewturn View Post

Another good pet would be a monkey/chimp. They have a ranged stun.
    Direhorns only DEflect not Reflect spells/attacks,just to clear it up,and I didn't test if it works on the hunter standing behind the pet or just the pet.

To OP: Get a crane for the stun/sleep,its better then monkey because its instant,make a focus macro for it,or use dragonhawk/serpent for +5% magic damage or a cat for 3k mastery.