Deleted

AMDs anwser to stuttering (and launches the 7990)

So I was reading the review of the "official" 7990 at hardwarecanucks when i came across this.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...rrives-14.html

It is an alpha driver with what AMD calls a “Frame Pacing Driver”.

which is supposed to monitor frame production more accurately in order to reduce stutter and essentially increase onscreen performance.
    Looking at the benches, it looks pretty good.

And yeah, AMD launched their 7990. It has 2 7970 GHz editions, with lowered clocks. The cooler seems to be doing pretty good.
    But it has some stuttering issues, as is expected from crossfire.

Isn't the 7970 GHz edition a 7970 with higher clocks? so if it is a 7970 GHz with lower clocks where does that leave us?

>.>

<.<

Deleted
    It still has a boost, which the normal 7970 doesnt have. And some other minor tweaks I think.

It leaves us in between 7970 and 7970GE afaik. I am very glad to see them make a solid effort in reducing frame latency, took them a good year though, and it is exiting to see them come at Nvidia even harder. I look forward to seeing the new benchmarks. 320.00 vs. 13.5 nao plz!

Doesn't look good from what I've seen, about equal performance as a GTX690 but released a year later. Most reviews had issues with coil whine, frame times and crossfire scaling.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Will be interesting to see if those "frame pacing drivers" actually work across the board or if it's optimized for certain titles only like the previous beta driver they put out to fix the frame latency.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Haven't read any of the reviews yet but that is quite sad. You would think they're able to solve the frame times and crossfire scaling when they are releasing a 1000$ dual gpu. Coil whine is quite annoying too. I hope Raja Koduri can solve the issues within AMD now that he is back again. AMD/ATI is quite different since he left and in the meantime Apple has become one of the market leading companies on mobile gpu's. I hope he can turn the ship around, I want the red team back for full where they are supposed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    and in the meantime Apple has become one of the market leading companies on mobile gpu's
    Wut? Apple doesn't make any kind of GPUs. iPads use GPU licensed from PowerVR and the laptops/desktops use mobile chips from both AMD and Nvidia.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sweclockers claims AMD's gone back to the 2012 codebase for drivers, thus "the big boost" that came with 2013 catalyst might be all gone.

I bet they'll simply build in hardware-based frame metering come the next series.

Deleted
    Seeing as confined didnt bother anymore to post it here im doing it again here :P (Thanks confined)

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphic...ototype-Driver

Was also just thinking. In terms of pure FPS in crossfire vs SLI, AMD scores a lot better than Nvidia at the moment (or so it did when I last checked the numbers). So if AMD gets the stuttering fixed, as we can see in the crysis 3 clip. Than for this generation crossfire clearly wins over SLI.

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Doesn't look good from what I've seen, about equal performance as a GTX690 but released a year later. Most reviews had issues with coil whine, frame times and crossfire scaling.
    7990 was officially launched when AMD allowed powercolor to use 7990 > Devil 13, which was about a year ago. There are quite a few devil 13 and powercolor 7990 owners around and the stuttering was huge, this concludes why AMD took a bit to release while maintaining a decent sales gain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Was also just thinking. In terms of pure FPS in crossfire vs SLI, AMD scores a lot better than Nvidia at the moment (or so it did when I last checked the numbers). So if AMD gets the stuttering fixed, as we can see in the crysis 3 clip. Than for this generation crossfire clearly wins over SLI.
    I wouldn't count it as a "win" when not having this stuttering resolved for a year. One might also suspect that the lack of frame-metering could be the cause for the inflated FPS-number crossfire has shown in graphs*, and that the numbers might decrease once the final driver is released.

*I know pcper's graphs seem to not show such a decrase as of yet. But things can still happen since they're not done with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    i would expect with the new driver frame rates will be dropping, but the actual frames you see are higher, meaning we can't really compare the current driver to anything in the past as old 70FPS =|= new 70Fps and probably new 120FPS > old 252FPS

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    i would expect with the new driver frame rates will be dropping, but the actual frames you see are higher, meaning we can't really compare the current driver to anything in the past as old 70FPS =|= new 70Fps and probably new 120FPS > old 252FPS
    So in other words, they would line up with their Nvidia counterparts.
    I just hope they fix it, it is about time.

Might be worth it to get another 7970 instead of a 8970 for instance :P

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Might be worth it to get another 7970 instead of a 8970 for instance :P
    If things go like they have so far, it's better to sell away that 7970 immediately when 8970 is on wide availability while it has any value left because the new card will be big enough improvement on it's own.
    Trolling should be.