10+ Year Old Account

Vermont Gigabit Internet - $35

There's apparently an existing telecom provider who will be providing gigabit ethernet to rural Vermont for only $35/month. Google, eat your heart out. I wonder if Google Fiber expanding is going to push more and more providers to offer services like these. Maybe the US can catch up to South Korea eventually!
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm paying about that much for 8Mbps in rural Scotland, woe is me!

Edit: Wrote units wrong. I'm a stickler for that.
    Last edited by Aldred; 2013-04-27 at 06:03 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    im paying twice that for 2 mb/s service from twc ;_;

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, you win!

At least Google is rolling out Fiber to Austin soon though right?

I'm paying $47 for 25 mb/s....

Why rural vermont? Give it to Tri State area!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    I pay 60 dollars for 60gb a month.

At 4mbps.

So yeah.

Oh my god I have serious nerd envy. Watching guys download with 1-10gb internet brings tears of envy.

Im sure this will get political at some point but tbh this kind of infrastructure building should really be increased....but should start in major cities (1 in every state).

Google Fiber has certainly raised awareness — and interest in — gigabit internet access, and several companies beyond the search provider are working on spreading the high-speed networks across the US. Vermont Telephone Co. (known as VTel) is one of those: it's now offering a gigabit internet service for $35. The telephone company has been working on building out a fiber network direct to its customers' homes since 2010, when it won a $81 million grant from the USDA as part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. (The USDA has awarded funds to other broadband initiatives around the country as well as part of the act.) VTel plans to replace all of its current customers' DSL connections with fiber service by the end of the year for no extra cost — hence the $35-per-month price tag.

The company serves 17,500 Vermont homes, according to The Wall Street Journal, and 600 have signed up so far. VTel's grant from the USDA is also being used to build out an LTE network to serve parts of the state that aren't wired — it expects to have that ready by the end of the year as well. FCC chairman Julius Genachoski has called for gigabit service in every state by the end of 2015, and other than Google's plans for Kansas City, Austin, and Utah, other companies have plans to bring gigabit service to cities like San Francisco, Seattle, and more.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/26/42...gabit-internet

Not sure why the US Dept of Agriculture is the one giving out these types of funds, but sure beats giving 1 billion $ to fund corn production which is at record prices.
    Last edited by phenix; 2013-04-27 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phenix View Post
    Im sure this will get political at some point but tbh this kind of infrastructure building should really be increased....but should start in major cities (1 in every state).
    Seriously why not New York or the Silicone Valley? Why do they do this in these weird places lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Silicone Valley?
    Los Angeles?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    I pay 60 dollars for 60gb a month.

At 4mbps.

So yeah.
    You have a 60Gb cap? Oo

Seriously how do you manage with that? I go through 60GB in a week - week and a half without doing anything special, just random internet stuff, watching some youtube etc, downloading a few tv episodes etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    You have a 60Gb cap? Oo

Seriously how do you manage with that? I go through 60GB in a week - week and a half without doing anything special, just random internet stuff, watching some youtube etc, downloading a few tv episodes etc.
    Very carefully.

I seriously can't update all the games I have in my steam library. Because that alone would drain me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I bet its easier to build out a network in rural Vermont then in a big city. So many less politicians to bribe and eco terrorist mandated surveys to complete.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    There's apparently an existing telecom provider who will be providing gigabit ethernet to rural Vermont for only $35/month. Google, eat your heart out. I wonder if Google Fiber expanding is going to push more and more providers to offer services like these. Maybe the US can catch up to South Korea eventually!
    Cool, but I'd rather have 1/10 gigabit for €19.99.

1 gigabit is complete overkill for ordinary private users.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Cool, but I'd rather have 1/10 gigabit for €19.99.

1 gigabit is complete overkill for ordinary private users.
    The point is to get everyone else off their ass and gouging and lying to their customers.

Whenever I bitch to my isp about bad connectivity or upping my package. They try to tell me that bandwidth is scarce because of the explosion of technology in the last few years. Therefore 60gb/month is justified. Along with 4mbps