Gaming Laptop and Haswell Processors Question

I'm trying to figure out what it would cost to buy a decent gaming laptop (and yes it NEEDS to be a laptop -- I travel too much for a Desktop).

I'm not looking for a specific laptop yet. I'm just gathering a bit of basic info. A couple threads mention that the Haswell processors will be released this summer.

How much do you think they'll end up costing (compared to a similar laptop with a current gen processor)?
    How much do you think laptops with a current gen laptop will drop in price once they're released (if at all)?

I've got a small budget (and as I said above, I travel a lot). I'm guessing that immediately after they're released the Haswell processors will be expensive--probably too much so for my budget. I think I might have a change at getting a decent laptop on sale though.

Opinions?

10+ Year Old Account
    Its too early to tell what Haswell CPU laptops will be like. Speculation also won't be helpful for pricing things.

I'd recommend either looking at something now, or simply waiting until they come out, and post again.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Its too early to tell what Haswell CPU laptops will be like. Speculation also won't be helpful for pricing things.

I'd recommend either looking at something now, or simply waiting until they come out, and post again.
    Isn't Haswell been stated to be a more efficient cpu once again? If thats the case mobile devices will be better flat out featuring Haswell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    Isn't Haswell been stated to be a more efficient cpu once again? If thats the case mobile devices will be better flat out featuring Haswell.
    Yes? Maybe? So far all we have is 'engineering samples' of i7s. No prices. No real consumer benchmarks. No mobile units. Nothing. "Stating" what it might be is fairly useless to someone looking to purchase something, or plan to purchase something.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    It could be months after the official release of Haswell before laptop companies start switching over to haswell CPU's in bulk. You might see a few, but i have a feeling they'll be rather pricey at first.

What precisely is your budget? A decent gaming laptop will run you probably no less than $850. Mine was $1200 when I got it (Asus G51), and I would place it "above average" for its time.

Deleted
    Haswell should be out by July.

We can expect a roughly 10-15% increase in CPU performance and almost 70-100% increase in iGPU performance.
    Power efficiency will probably only make s subtle improvement.

As for price changes, there usually aren't any with Intel products. Typically the new series just replaces the old series. The old series might drop by 10% or so, but not significantly.

If you're out to get a Laptop, then I'd recommend waiting. The CPU performance increase won't be a big deal, but the improved iGPU will greatly increase your gaming capabilities without having to invest into a dedicated GPU.

With Haswell Intel's CPUs should become almost competitive with AMD's APUs in terms of gaming performance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Intel has started dividing its mobile market segments into processors lines, where the Y processor line goes up to 11.5W TDP, U line covers chips in the 15W to 25W range, while the M line covers 37W, 47W as well as 57W TDP space, with two to four cores and graphics up to GT2.

The high performance H processor line is yet another BGA package processor line that also aims for 37W, 47W and 57W TDPs, with quad-core processors and up to GT3 graphics with on-package cache memory.
    Here's a nice read about it: Source

So far it also seems Intel has began shipping Haswell to make its 'first week of June' release but whether or not that'll include Laptops no one seems to truly know.
    Last edited by Saithes; 2013-04-30 at 06:45 PM.