Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    13/13

Yes, these questions are simple, but you'd be surprising how many people don't pay attention in Science 101.

well i paid attention in science in school, but that was like 6 years ago, and ive never used any of that since :P so its pretty easy to forget some of it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I go out of my way to deliberately consume GMO products, just to give the anti GMO hysteria the middle finger.

Man you are getting them GOOD!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Even if they didn't attack small farmers, they'd still have the advantage. Corporate farms benefit from economy of scale.
    And they get most of the farm subsidy money from our taxes.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    13/13. I'm surprised the percentages are so low on most of these though, they're pretty basic questions!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Well... the big issue is that the companies behind it claim it is totally safe, but also wont tell anyone what chemicals they pump into the ground. So you have a situation where a company is pumping unknown chemicals into the ground, and thus the groundwater. Even the chemicals they admit to using are rather bad to have in the water supply.
    These structures are way way below the water table. It's something we've been doing the last 50 years, with very little evidence of harm beyond produced water and such things that happen with any drilling.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm 16, 12/13. Got the last one wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Um, no.

centi, deci, deca, and hecto are legit SI prefixes as adopted by the 11th General Conference on Weights and Measures.

http://www.bipm.org/en/si/prefixes.html
    But mega, giga, tera, nano, micro, yotta, zetta, pico, etc etc etc are not? That question is broken. When thinking about science, centi would never cross my mind for one second, because most of the science deals with things either larger or smaller. I would say "The universe is 930 Yottameters" "This integrated circuit has a width of 45 nanometers" "you need 500 micrograms per litre of reactant A" "the flux capacitor requires 1.21 gigawatts".

If I handed in a science paper, using centi deci deca and hecto, in the 21st century, I would get kicked in the nuts.

10+ Year Old Account
    12/13. Messed up on one question that I remembered afterwards. Personally thought the test seemed quite simplistic in nature.

surprisingly 13/13 even though i had some problems identifing "stickstoff" in the english version, since im german

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    These structures are way way below the water table. It's something we've been doing the last 50 years, with very little evidence of harm beyond produced water and such things that happen with any drilling.
    The process and chemicals used have changed in recent years. And despite your (and the industries) claims, there are numerous studies (including some from the EPA) showing water contamination. The problem is that since the companies doing the drilling dont have to tell anyone what chemicals are being used there is little to connect them to the chemicals found in the water.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    How can you do that when they dont tell you which are GMO and which are not? Frankly I have no problem with GMO products, but Monsanto is just evil with regards to how they attack small farmers etc.
    I was speaking in jest. Because almost every consumer level food product in North America contains some form of GMO, given the broad definition most proposed GMO legislation uses. It's literally impossible to actually avoid unless you grew your own food.

12/13...would have been 13/13 if i hadn't derped and clicked next on one question without selecting an answer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Look at how many people get the atmosphere composition question wrong. I guarantee you that most of those wrong answered "Oxygen", even though if that were the case the atmosphere itself would combust.
    That was the only one I got wrong. I knew it wasn't oxygen but was stuck between whether it was Nitrogen or Hydrogen... guess which one I chose. :[

Either way, 12/13, still in college, guessed on the element in the atmosphere question and the "Fracking" one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanto View Post
    That was the only one I got wrong. I knew it wasn't oxygen but was stuck between whether it was Nitrogen or Hydrogen... guess which one I chose. :[

Either way, 12/13, still in college, guessed on the element in the atmosphere question and the "Fracking" one.
    If it was Hydrogen; have fun lighting a match under most atmospheric conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    But mega, giga, tera, nano, micro, yotta, zetta, pico, etc etc etc are not? That question is broken. When thinking about science, centi would never cross my mind for one second, because most of the science deals with things either larger or smaller. I would say "The universe is 930 Yottameters" "This integrated circuit has a width of 45 nanometers" "you need 500 micrograms per litre of reactant A" "the flux capacitor requires 1.21 gigawatts".

If I handed in a science paper, using centi deci deca and hecto, in the 21st century, I would get kicked in the nuts.
    Hectopascal is the common unit for air pressure in meteorology. And centimeter is commonplace so used where convenient. I give you dezi as rather archaic, only hear deka in Austrian groceries and supermarkets. But you rather deserve your kick for your silly Yottameters

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Indeed, I have never heard that term before and I doubt most people in the UK have either.
    i scarcely watch the news and it's been mentioned a few times in the UK in connection to shale gas reserves and the fracking may cause small earth quakes

10+ Year Old Account

1. they limited it 10^-3 to 10^3 to keep the number of answers reasonable and not skew scoring too heavily on "Do you know metric prefixes?".

2. You never use centimetres?

3. You never deal with medicine? Milligrams per decilitre is a common measurement for things like hemoglobin or blood glucose.

4. Never heard of a hectare (1 square hectometre)? It may be because I grew up in a rural area, but it's practically universal for largeish land areas around here, other than the old fashioned people still using acres and sections. Or is agricultural science not science in your view?

I will grant that deca is all but unused.
    Last edited by Masark; 2013-05-01 at 06:03 PM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Deleted
    13/13, really easy questions, though the fracking one was stupid, as I and apparently many others had to guess. Anyone who is older than 10 years should've got at least 10 of those correct...

10+ Year Old Account
    13/13, 18 year-old male done with High School, not in College.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    I find it quite disheartening that I got an erection just by reading "Cowboy boots".
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    The greatest generation is long dead? Last I checked, Miley Cyrus, Kanye West, Rebecca Black, and One Direction are all still kickin'...

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    I'm most surprised by the radioactivity question results, as well as the lasers result. Seriously, 42% of college graduates thought lasers worked on sound? In what world would you assume that 'radiates' as light would come from sound waves, especially when it's even in £2 devices that you can hold in your hand. I understand you can change energy between types in various ways, but the automatic assumption should be to go with what it actually appears to be.
    I was surprised by the Lasers too, especially since Laser stands for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation, although I suppose most people don't know that, but still I'm sure most people have seen laser pointers.

13/13 here, some College.