Page 1 of 32
... LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account

Post Do you know more about science and technology than the average American?

Please don't turn this thread into a nation bashing thread.

With that out of the way I found a quiz that asks 13 questions which apparently most Americans got wrong.

Try it out and see where you stand!

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/science-knowledge/

I personally got a 10/13, guess I should have payed more attention in class.

13/13
    You scored better than 93% of the public and the same as 7%.
    Male, College Grad.

13/13.... woot

chem uni drop out..... stupid work commitments

11/13, didn't study further then basic highschool due to some "problems"
    fuck yeah.

10+ Year Old Account
    12/13... but then again.. I graduated in 1985.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    13/13, the questions are very childish but I had to guess what "fracking" was, all I could think of was Battlestar Galactica.

Deleted
    I got 13/13 right, they are pretty easy questions

10+ Year Old Account
    No spoilers but..holy crap, "most Americans" got the first one wrong? Holy crap!

10+ Year Old Account
    7/13. I've never had any sort of interest in the things that were mentioned in that quiz, so I'm fine with the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    No spoilers but..holy crap, "most Americans" got the first one wrong? Holy crap!
    Look at how many people get the atmosphere composition question wrong. I guarantee you that most of those wrong answered "Oxygen", even though if that were the case the atmosphere itself would combust.

10+ Year Old Account
    13/13, quite hard to answer something wrong in this quiz.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you serious?

13/13. Those questions were easy, but I scored better than 93% of my countrymen?

We need to seriously improve our scientific education here.

How are there people who exist that don't know that electrons are smaller than atoms?

---------- Post added 2013-05-01 at 11:13 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Look at how many people get the atmosphere composition question wrong. I guarantee you that most of those wrong answered "Oxygen", even though if that were the case the atmosphere itself would combust.
    I suppose that's understandable because when we think about the atmosphere, we probably think about the gases in it that we use or impact the weather, like oxygen and water vapor. But yes, the atmosphere is ~70% nitrogen, ~20% oxygen (these numbers are from memory so they're not exact) and yes, even a small percent increase in oxygen would set the world on fire.
    Last edited by Adam Jensen; 2013-05-01 at 03:14 PM.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    10/13 here, I'm ashamed to say I got the two questions wrong people have mentioned in this thread so far... and also the fracking one. :P

Deleted
    12/13

Was not familiar with the term "fracking", not english speaking native.

12 out of 13

I got the atmosphere one wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Terahertz View Post
    10/13 here, I'm ashamed to say I got the two questions wrong people have mentioned in this thread so far... and also the fracking one. :P
    Considering I don't hear much internationally about fracking, it's quite understandable that many people outside the USA aren't familiar with it.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    13/13, the questions are very childish but I had to guess what "fracking" was, all I could think of was Battlestar Galactica.
    12/13 because I guessed wrong :<

Overall it's middle school level of question and common sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Considering I don't hear much internationally about fracking, it's quite understandable that many people outside the USA aren't familiar with it.
    I'm in the US, haven't followed it much. I just knew it was some procedure for obtaining natural gas and it's causing concern among environmentalists.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    9/13

The ones I got wrong, I had no idea of what to answer on those. And I find it hard to believe the average American couldn't atleast answer 50% of these questions right...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    I'm in the US, haven't followed it much. I just knew it was some procedure for obtaining natural gas and it's causing concern among environmentalists.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_fracturing

Just for people to look at if they so please.