Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancaspe View Post
    If given the option to display old char models or new, the majority of players would show old models.

There is a vocal minority eager for new models, but most players hate change.

There is no proof, source, or even reliability to this.

I think it's safe to say this is one of the few pieces that we're not talking about a "vocal minority" about.

YES, you're right, some players might show old models if given the chance (and I believe they said they'd want to accommodate those kinds of players when making this change), but don't get ahead of yourself.

WHEN models change, and IF there is option to show old models VS new, I promise you, I'll even bet you my car (2008 400h), that the greater (and I mean VAST) majority of players would not enable the option to show old models.

Yes, players hate change, but there are two problems with that kind of concept.

1) Each and every single facebook update ever.
    Lets be honest, how many friends have quite facebook and I mean *QUIT* facebook over an update.... people love to bitch and moan, so they do, and then they forget, why? Because most of the time they realize what they were bitching and moaning about in the first place actually was quite great! Most people on facebook can't remember what the layout looked like right before this last one, let alone 6 months ago when they claimed they were quitting facebook if they didn't change back.

Sure, people complain, but people complain about everything, but it's a visual upgrade.

2) They hate change when you actually change the mechanics of things. It's not like you now need to learn how to QWOP your character with the new models, it's a visual upgrade, (mind you, as Blizzard has stated, this has been one of their most requested features of all time). People who will want the old models will not want it because they hate change, but because of nostalgia, or because they legitimately like it.

They're not changing how the game works, how you run your character and how management of your character changes, just how they look. Yes, nostalgia will get some people, but it's still the SAME EXACT GAME just looking better.

People want this change, and when it does happen, the actual vocal minority (complainers) will forget about it in two weeks time and laugh looking at Wowhead or Mmo-champion archives at how models used to look and say "hehehehehe I can't believe the game looked like this!"

Just think about the druid forms.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    From the sounds of things, they're only doing the original 8 races (so, not the TBC races, nor Cata races)

If I had to wager a guess, they'll likely be a thing next expansion.
    This is incorrect.

Draenei and Blood Elves will be updated, once the Vanilla races are done.

I don't get how people don't think they won't get the updates on BC races, because they're 'newer' than Vanilla races. They barely have any more 'bones' in their structure and are only slightly better looking than vanilla races. Compared to Cata races, BC races suck, visually. Or rather, are very out dated.

They will get updates, but after the original Vanilla races get theirs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister J View Post

They will get updates, but after the original Vanilla races get theirs.
    I think that's really whats being said, honestly.

Not that they won't get done PERIOD but rather, looking forward we'll see the Vanilla races done first and THEN the TBC races.

Not Dwarf, Human, Draenei, Gnome, Orc, Blood Elf, Night Elf.... etc.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.

Quote Originally Posted by Krekko View Post
    I don't know if you've missed the past 2-3 years of Blizzard news, however this 'Next Gen MMO' is Blizzard's next big new thing, Titan, it's a new IP (or, at the very least a non-Blizzard IP), and has been talked about for quite some time now.

SWTOR servers one crowd (albeit, and admittedly I'm sure in Bioware's retrospect, though not in many player's, a small crowd) desire for a VERY story driven MMO, while WoW offers plenty of story, but in a less "Here it is and hold my hand as I tell it to you word for word" way, and WoW on the other side offers plenty for another crowd.

Different strokes for different folks.

That's all that needs to be said about it.

Back on topic;

Thinking about it I want the old mount models to be updated too, especially the Paladin Charger and Warlock Mount. This task is majorly daunting for them.
    Ah, I wondered if it was related to Titan. I have scanned that page a couple times in the past few years, I guess my eyes just missed that little section for some reason lol.

Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    From the sounds of things, they're only doing the original 8 races (so, not the TBC races, nor Cata races)

If I had to wager a guess, they'll likely be a thing next expansion.
    They're doing the BC races.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krekko View Post
    I often don't say things without a source or without being positive, but I'm 99.999% positive there is an additional source saying it would be just the Vanilla Models at first, or "First Priority".

I wouldn't expect a Worgen/Goblin update period, though.
    This is correct - Blizz stated that it would be the classic races first, and then BC races. While they've finally acknowledged how unhappy people are largely with female worgen, they didn't hint at doing anything to improve/update them.

Most Likely they will Keep the models, till Blizzcon it will be one of there Big announcements, Along with the next expansion (Maybe)

Though i can see them teasing us with the new Orc one, in the SoO just like they did with female troll in ToT

If "outdated character models" are the reason you quit the game, that's sad.
    Jsz
    <Losers Club> US-Alliance

d u m b c a s u a l s l u t

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jsz View Post
    If "outdated character models" are the reason you quit the game, that's sad.
    People strongly identify with their characters, and some of those character models just look awful now.

You have to ask their marketing department.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverrendy View Post
    blizzard has no profit from putting the updated models in 5.3 or 5.4 they would rather wait till next expansion is released when its playerbase has dropped again so they can get people back
    They will make a huge profits from the updated models with just character race changes.

My theory is that they will release the new models with the last major content patch of this expansion. Bringing old players back for the last raid and hoping they will stay on to buy the next expansion.

Deleted
    To be honest I'm starting to think there will never be any new character models.

10+ Year Old Account
    We are most likely hearing about Race Models on Blizzcon.
    War is deception, a game played best from the shadows!

Deleted
    Man I've been waiting for new character models for years, I'm so happy they'll be out Soon™.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    The Pet battles were a massive succes, so this too then?
    I think the new models will be a success. There's a concensus that an upgrade is needed, and it's probable Blizz will allow the option of using the old ones client-side.

That's why I said pet battles and not scenarios or challenge modes.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Any professional modeler working at a company like Blizzard should be able to turn out a new model every 2 weeks. I think Blizzard's art test they give to new employees is almost exactly that. So it's not a matter of them working through it, since it should only take them a couple months tops, but rather them being satisfied with what they made.

I bet we get to see something at Blizzcon.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Deleted
    I'm sure they've finished most of them. They usually finish expansion pack content months before the expansion's release.

Deleted
    Probably done but being held back to boost expansion hype.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Any professional modeler working at a company like Blizzard should be able to turn out a new model every 2 weeks. I think Blizzard's art test they give to new employees is almost exactly that. So it's not a matter of them working through it, since it should only take them a couple months tops, but rather them being satisfied with what they made.

I bet we get to see something at Blizzcon.
    See, you're right. They can pop a model out every two weeks.

But then you have to consider everything else that goes with it.

Every spell, every animation, every weapon, gear covering, clipping issues, implantation issues.

I'm a Production Designer. I can give you a full "Design plan" for a movie every two weeks, including Scenic, Costume and Prop elements.
    Does that mean I can make a movie set every two weeks? No.

Not to mention these people have plenty of other things to do and deal with.

TLDR; None of us are professional Character Modelers/Animators for a game such as WoW, so we can say "JUST DO IT IN 2 WEEKS ITS EASY" yet we're blowing smoke outta all the holes we've got.

It's not as simple as a copy and paste.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think we'll see something at E3