Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    I like this expansion so far. That might be that I'm one of those that absolutely loves the Asian culture.

Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    As someone living in Asia, i see very little "asian" in this expansion. Sort of like comparing westernized Chinese food to real Chinese food, it's completely different. In China, we view this as garbage, really.
    I have to say I am not surprised at this being English and seeing how they have been portrayed in game by the Worgen it is almost as if their experience of English people is limited to Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins.

Was it you that mentioned that the Pandaren are meant to be Chinese but speak with a Japanese accent?
    Last edited by Pann; 2013-05-05 at 12:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    They did this in a shameless and failed attempt to tap into the rapidly expanding Chinese gaming markets. What they dont realise is that asian themed mmo's are the beaten up dead horse of online gaming. Their are so many out there and more coming out everyday. I think it was a massive betrayal of its roots to do this. One of the things that really interested me about wow is its fun and interesting take on western fantasy and lore which I find very fascinating and intriguing, not because I am a racist which a lot of people will automatically assume, but because I enjoy the lore and feel of western fantasy when done right.

Although seeing as they lost a significant amount of subscribers this expansion I am not worried, because I know they wont pull off such a stupid move again.

Quote Originally Posted by NQ Exac View Post
    Are you serious?

Replace "Asian" with "Black" or even "Fag" and see what you sound like, it may be more clear.
    Wait, what? Asian is an official term for people who are from the geographical location called Asia, most usually reserved for South East Asia. The other terms you used are not technical terms, and are instead either accepted slang for people with a certain amount of melanin in their skin, or slur for gays.

If you want an actual comparison, try 'European', 'Mesoamerican', or 'African'.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't HATE the lore of pandaria (Gameplay wise it's a nice expansion) but will I ever roll a Panda or Monk, nah, there are plenty of people who enjoy the east asian themes, as for me, I like the more traditional western-fantasy take, and felt much more "at-home" in Wrath of the Lich King (Not to say that Norse Culture in that form isn't a different take on the traditional "Castles & Dragons" aspects of Fantasy, but, for me atleast, it ties in easier, seeing as I was growing up around the time the Lord of the Rings movies were coming, and Tolkien drew pretty heavily from Norse Mythology). I have to give Blizzard credit however for attempting to tie things in and give us not only a sense of familiarity while we're in Pandaria (Faction leaders coming, Yaungol, Origin of the Jinyu, Zandalari Remnants) but I still am concerned whether or not, that while Outland and Northrend were perfectly integrated into the World, even after Illidan and Arthas became irrelevant, Pandaria will stick out and play no further role in the game which would help to make the continent feel out of place.
    If they can prevent that, even though I don't particularly enjoy and/or want more asian themed things in WoW I would have to consider this expansion a success.

---------- Post added 2013-05-05 at 01:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by NQ Exac View Post
    Are you serious?

Replace "Asian" with "Black" or even "Fag" and see what you sound like, it may be more clear.
    Are you serious?
    Asian is not a derogatory term, whereas "Fag" is. Asian is a descriptive term, much like "Black" (And to be honest, there would be nothing wrong if I did replace the word Asian, with the word Black, as people in and "recently" from Africa, have their own culture, history and tradition). The residents of Asia have their own culture, their own history and their own fantasies from times past, and it's not being racist or hateful in the slightest, to realize that Warcraft is a heavily western influenced game, and to even have worries that this Asian themed story might just become irrelevant or not flow in well with the rest of the world, which is a perfectly understandable concern for those who like the overall story of Warcraft.

I'm not saying that I don't like this expansion or hate the asian theme (I think they did better with it than I was expecting) but it will feel good to get back to the "main" part of Azeroth. Does that make me a racist? No, that simply says that I grew up with Western Fantasy and simply enjoy it more than Asian fantasy

tl;dr Quit being ignorant.
    Last edited by Wildberry; 2013-05-05 at 01:43 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
    I'm not totally sure why but when you post something like that and I'm looking at your signature and avatar I start thinking - they did create something childish and children are enjoying it.
    "Everything I don't like is childish and stupid, so I'll act childish and stupid towards those who do not agree".

There are only so many environments they can present without thinking of something completely different. Asia was the next logical step.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

A lot of people felt it was racist/exploitive.

Its not my style, thats for sure. The Asian theme quickly got boring, yet it was everywhere in Pandaria. The only way I can bear being in Pandaria is to make fun of everything

Hopefully the next expansion won't use a real life theme, but rather make up a new theme that actually fits the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Hopefully the next expansion won't use a real life theme, but rather make up a new theme that actually fits the game.
    lol, id love to hear your examples of "made up" themes. lemme guess you havent noticed all the other real life racial themes already in game except for the Asian one?
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoy the Asian theme of MoP. The work put into MoP is what got me hooked in the first place. The story line is really coming together!
    I cried alone every single night. It felt like every day that passed here stole another piece of my real life away. After i cried, I’d go and fight as hard as I could. My only thought was winning, moving forward, and getting stronger. — Asuna Yuuki

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Its not my style, thats for sure. The Asian theme quickly got boring, yet it was everywhere in Pandaria. The only way I can bear being in Pandaria is to make fun of everything

You do realise the entire game is built up on real life stories, legends and even architechture?

To mention one thing that stands me "close"(since I am scandinavian), is the world tree which in the real world were named Yggdrassil(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yggdrasil). That said, there are multiple world trees around within real world cultures. The WoW version seems to be heavily inspired by Yggdrassil though. I don't know if what Wikipedia is correct about the info regarding it, but I do know the tree was named Yggdrassil. Here's is some of what Wikipedia says;

"Yggdrasil is an immense ash tree that is central and considered very holy. The gods go to Yggdrasil daily to assemble at their things. The branches of Yggdrasil extend far into the heavens, and the tree is supported by three roots that extend far away into other locations; one to the well Urðarbrunnr in the heavens, one to the spring Hvergelmir, and another to the well Mímisbrunnr. Creatures live within Yggdrasil, including the wyrm (dragon) Níðhöggr, an unnamed eagle, and the stags Dáinn, Dvalinn, Duneyrr and Duraþrór."
    Last edited by Duridi; 2013-05-05 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duridi View Post
    You do realise the entire game is built up on real life stories, legends and even architechture?

To mention one thing that stands me "close"(since I am scandinavian), is the world tree which in the real world were named Yggdrassil(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yggdrasil). That said, there are multiple world trees around within real world cultures. The WoW version seems to be heavily inspired by Yggdrassil though. I don't know if what Wikipedia is correct about the info regarding it, but I do know the tree was named Yggdrassil. Here's is some of what Wikipedia says;

"Yggdrasil is an immense ash tree that is central and considered very holy. The gods go to Yggdrasil daily to assemble at their things. The branches of Yggdrasil extend far into the heavens, and the tree is supported by three roots that extend far away into other locations; one to the well Urðarbrunnr in the heavens, one to the spring Hvergelmir, and another to the well Mímisbrunnr. Creatures live within Yggdrasil, including the wyrm (dragon) Níðhöggr, an unnamed eagle, and the stags Dáinn, Dvalinn, Duneyrr and Duraþrór."
    In WoW, the names of the three world trees (Nordrassil, Vordrassil, and Teldrassil) are inspired by Yggdrassil, but not much else. The closest thing to it in lore is G'Hanir, which was a tree that lived within space and time. It was a place where all avian creatures went to when they died, including things like birds, gryphons, hippogryphs, dragons, etc. It's somewhat similar to a tree that literally holds worlds in its branches, but the names went to the other trees that the Night Elves warden in WoW.

But as a person of Scandinavian descent myself, it was fun to see all the references to Norse mythology in Northrend, as well as see the Alliance and Vrykul buildings which definitely had a Nordic flair to them. I always welcome the diversity when Blizzard incorporates a real culture into their game, because it's very difficult in this day and age to create a new culture. Usually when that happens, it winds up like the Draenei - oddly-shaped houses, crystals, lasers. It winds up being more sci-fi than fantasy.

Deleted
    I don't know if It's already posted but this little comic explains why I like more Pandaria than Northrend (even It's "nice" place)

Last edited by mmoc2454e2f50e; 2013-05-05 at 06:17 PM.

I dont have anything against an Asian theme, I just dont think it fits well in Warcraft.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Destinas View Post
    In WoW, the names of the three world trees (Nordrassil, Vordrassil, and Teldrassil) are inspired by Yggdrassil, but not much else. The closest thing to it in lore is G'Hanir, which was a tree that lived within space and time. It was a place where all avian creatures went to when they died, including things like birds, gryphons, hippogryphs, dragons, etc. It's somewhat similar to a tree that literally holds worlds in its branches, but the names went to the other trees that the Night Elves warden in WoW.

But as a person of Scandinavian descent myself, it was fun to see all the references to Norse mythology in Northrend, as well as see the Alliance and Vrykul buildings which definitely had a Nordic flair to them. I always welcome the diversity when Blizzard incorporates a real culture into their game, because it's very difficult in this day and age to create a new culture. Usually when that happens, it winds up like the Draenei - oddly-shaped houses, crystals, lasers. It winds up being more sci-fi than fantasy.
    The thing with WoW though, is that it just uses inspiration from real cultures, not close copies. Someone earlier, claiming to live in asia, mentioned that the asian theme is far from reality. Personally I would not know, but I know there are plenty of cultures in asia.

Speaking of the world tree, I see wells, stags, a dragon and an eagle mentioned on Wikipedia atleast. All tied into the story around Nordrassil, but in a different way. Maybe I am just looking at it too abstract, but plenty of real life cultures have been mixed together into what we know as the lore today. Though, Northrend is also an abstract way of looking at norse history and landscape. Probably feels closer to home for many though, as what is written in the Edda as an example don't tend to be common knowledge.

And I agree, coming up with something truly "fresh", usually ends up as sci-fi. Which actually isn't that fresh. Human history og legends are very rich though, so imo it doesn't hurt picking inspiration from what already exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree, Asian theme is garbage, but what are ya gonna do? Weaboos are a valuable market because they'll buy any bullshit that looks like it's from the half of the globe most of us are too embarrassed of to talk about.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Quote Originally Posted by ViridianCC View Post
    I agree, Asian theme is garbage, but what are ya gonna do? Weaboos are a valuable market because they'll buy any bullshit that looks like it's from the half of the globe most of us are too embarrassed of to talk about.
    That's pretty ironic considering your sig and avatar.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    That's pretty ironic considering your sig and avatar.
    Pandaren are the nicest model and are the best race for almost every class they can be (as far as throughput). That doesn't mean I like the culture. In fact I kinda hate all that Confucius Says Buddha bullshit.

The aesthetic is charmingly colorful and bright, with some genuine work put into it (Dread Wastes is actually a total pain in the ass to quest in just because the contrast kill my brain, and I think that's a neat effect). I looooove the aesthetic of the expansion as a whole. Valley is gorgeous, and every zone feels incredibly distinct and vibrant. But I hate the architecture, and I will have an aneurysm next time I see some shitty pagoda, and the only races I've found interesting are the parts based on parts of Asia nobody gives a shit about or aren't related in the slightest (Mantid, Yaungol)
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

I like the 'Asian' theme. WoW uses inspiration from all over the world. I loved the Norse theme for Northrend for instance.

Plus I do love the Buddhist ideology irl, so really enjoyed finding my 'inner zen' ;-)