Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Scientists Invent Particle That If Injected, Allows You To Live Without Breathing

http://www.techwench.com/scientists-...out-breathing/

"A team of scientists at the Boston Children’s Hospital have invented what is being considered one the greatest medical breakthroughs in recent years. They have designed a microparticle that can be injected into a person’s bloodstream that can quickly oxygenate their blood. This will even work if the ability to breathe has been restricted, or even cut off entirely."

Found this on Reddit =3 I automatically thought of Water World for some reason... am I the only person that loves that movie?

10+ Year Old Account
    If we can breathe underwater I am totally up for this.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

Deleted
    for 30 min, max.

Misleading stuff everywhere

Seems like an intravenous feed wouldn't be much less obtrusive than normal diving gear, and far harder to set up to the point where you could use it without fear of drowning when it gets snagged on a random piece of coral.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmines View Post
    Fairly sure that would kill you iirc.

And I for some reason remember hearing about this a long while ago. Not sure if i'm just imagining things or not.
    You'd be dead within the minute
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Quote Originally Posted by likemah View Post
    for 30 min, max.

Misleading stuff everywhere
    Not really misleading, it's not some miracle "never breath again" type of thing. 30 minutes is plenty of time to save someone's life, pretty cool stuff

It may have been around a while, wasn't sure. Just late night Redditing, thought I'd share as I'd never seen the story =3

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Linked this to a friend and he pointed out something, what about the carbondioxide?
    Perhaps I'm missing something obvious here.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    I automatically thought of Water World for some reason... am I the only person that loves that movie?
    Quite possibly, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Linked this to a friend and he pointed out something, what about the carbondioxide?
    I'm not sure, but if they've tested it and it really can work for up to 30 minutes I'm sure they've figured it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifeanychukwu View Post
    am I the only person that loves that movie?
    Yeah, Kevin Costner sure as hell didn't, ruined his career for years, hes just now recovering.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    Yeah, Kevin Costner sure as hell didn't, ruined his career for years, hes just now recovering.
    Haha, maybe it's just nostalgia from when I had seen it as a kid. I thought it was cool as hell at the time though. I'll have to watch it again sometime and see how I feel =3

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Technically you would still have to exhale to release carbon dioxide that builds naturally in your lungs.

This is moot anyway as you can't just stop 'breathing', it's physically impossible, your body will go through the inhalation / exhalation process naturally and there is nothing you can do about it. It would be kind of like telling your heart to stop beating, you can't. Yes you can hold your breath but its physically impossible to do so forever, your brain will literally force you to breathe even if there is nothing to breathe regardless of your will power.

All this shot will allow you to do is survive for ~30 minutes longer in low oxygen / no oxygen environments.

Not that I am saying that isn't amazing, it is, it has some pretty practical medical and other applications. Hope we can refine it to last longer.
    Last edited by Redmage; 2013-05-03 at 09:51 AM.

All this shot will allow you to do is survive for ~30 minutes longer in low oxygen / no oxygen environments.
    Which is a monumental feat in and of itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Waterworld just reminds me of this:

Quote Originally Posted by Notchris View Post
    Which is a monumental feat in and of itself.
    Yes, one of these shots in every lifeguards medical kit, or on every boat, could save thousands of lives. If you pull an unconscious drowning person out of the water injecting them could buy you an extra 30 minutes before their organs start shutting down due to lack of oxygen. Which is a big deal, an extra 30 minutes to perfom CPR and restore consciousness would be huge.

don't ruin the fun. i made that mistake. remember when sesame street was fun as a kid. kinda like watching that as an adult

Yes, one of these shots in every lifeguards medical kit, or on every boat, could save thousands of lives. If you pull an unconscious drowning person out of the water injecting them could buy you an extra 30 minutes before their organs start shutting down due to lack of oxygen. Which is a big deal, an extra 30 minutes to perfom CPR and restore consciousness would be huge.
    Didn't even think about this. Shit's awesome. Forget about the diving part... 30 minutes is not enough to be effectively used in every day diving.

But used to save life this way? Damn

Technically you would still have to exhale to release carbon dioxide that builds naturally in your lungs.

This is moot anyway as you can't just stop 'breathing', it's physically impossible, your body will go through the inhalation / exhalation process naturally and there is nothing you can do about it. It would be kind of like telling your heart to stop beating, you can't. Yes you can hold your breath but its physically impossible to do so forever, your brain will literally force you to breathe even if there is nothing to breathe regardless of your will power.

Not that I am saying that isn't amazing, it is, it has some pretty practical medical and other applications. Hope we can refine it to last longer.
    Have you ever tried holding your breath while your brain/blood/lungs get a steady stream of oxygen? That might change things quite a bit. Your brains not going "lungs not moving, must move must move!!" its going "No air no air no air!!!!!!!". I've seen people on respirators doing 100% of their breathing, no muscle activity at all in their lungs - all machine - that seem perfectly fine with it. No uncontrollable impulse. Just saying. We can overcome the drowning sensation of liquid goin in our lungs(been proven with perfluorocarbon), not sure how the body would feel about water, but it might be possible to breath in water and exhale our CO2 with that.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    I do that all the time, I just get an empty syringe/hypodermic needle and inject oxygen gas into my bloodstream
    That would kill you, so no, you don't.

But on topic, this is a cool discovery!

---------- Post added 2013-05-03 at 12:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by teddytous View Post
    Have you ever tried holding your breath while your brain/blood/lungs get a steady stream of oxygen? That might change things quite a bit. Your brains not going "lungs not moving, must move must move!!" its going "No air no air no air!!!!!!!". I've seen people on respirators doing 100% of their breathing, no muscle activity at all in their lungs - all machine - that seem perfectly fine with it. No uncontrollable impulse. Just saying. We can overcome the drowning sensation of liquid goin in our lungs(been proven with perfluorocarbon), not sure how the body would feel about water, but it might be possible to breath in water and exhale our CO2 with that.
    Isn't there some form of oxygen rich solution that can be "breathed"? Or was that all in that movie I saw?

Deleted
    This is insane, the medical advances we can make with this are brilliant. A poster above saying about having some in medical kits and buying an extra 30 mins for people, those 30 mins could easily make the difference between life and death. Hopefully we'll see this making it's way into all hospitals and medical places.