Poll: Should we ignore the loss of freedom and liberty?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    How this can be taken as not being negative is pretty perplexing.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    No it's pretty simple. You just have to listen to it for what it is and not what your paranoid mind thinks it is.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Nixxy View Post
    So it seems he didn't say "Ignore signs of tyranny," but rather said you should ignore the doomsayers who constantly warn that tyranny is constantly knocking on our door, which I think is about the same as telling your child to ignore the crazy man holding up the sign that says the end of the world is coming. Other than that he encourages responsibility and for the citizens to be involved. What's the problem?
    The problem is you forgot to use your government is always evil double speak machine like the intelligent people to translate. What he really said is he wants to rape you with your own gun before he takes it and he thinks thata the government owns your small business.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    The problem is you forgot to use your government is always evil double speak machine like the intelligent people to translate. What he really said is he wants to rape you with your own gun before he takes it and he thinks thata the government owns your small business.
    You know what's REALLY sad?

I have to ask if this is sarcasm or do you really believe this? With many of the types of posts written here I honestly can't tell the difference anymore as this does sound like something they would say! >_<

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    You know what's REALLY sad?

I have to ask if this is sarcasm or do you really believe this? With many of the types of posts written here I honestly can't tell the difference anymore as this does sound like something they would say! >_<
    I think (hope) the "government is always evil double speak machine" is enough of a clue...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    No it's pretty simple. You just have to listen to it for what it is and not what your paranoid mind thinks it is.
    Exactly...

For all the Tyranny posts here people have to remember ONE thing...

...there will never be a Tyranny or a Dictator Government in America so long as we can still vote the people out of office.

Because, when all is said and done, they need our votes to continue. THAT is the only way they could truly become a Dictatorship is by removing the ability to vote. You can try to change and shift and hypnotize people all you want - but the control still rests with US - the people as a whole, and it takes just ONE idea to spread to make any form of control shake to its knees - and that's something no Dictatorship can fight against so long as there's the ability to vote.

And THAT was the point of Obama's speech. We vote = we are the government.

You're taking one part of what he said out of context.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Exactly...

For all the Tyranny posts here people have to remember ONE thing...

...there will never be a Tyranny or a Dictator Government in America so long as we can still vote the people out of office.

Because, when all is said and done, they need our votes to continue. THAT is the only way they could truly become a Dictatorship is by removing the ability to vote. You can try to change and shift and hypnotize people all you want - but the control still rests with US - the people as a whole, and it takes just ONE idea to spread to make any form of control shake to its knees - and that's something no Dictatorship can fight against so long as there's the ability to vote.

And THAT was the point of Obama's speech. We vote = we are the government.
    And for all that fear. Even if it did happen. We're all not stupid. No matter how vocal stupidity is.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

What's scary is all the people who idiotically believe whatever out-of-context propagandising they're being fed.

---------- Post added 2013-05-07 at 05:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    That's probably too hard for some people here of a certain political persuasion.

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    Are you willfully oblivious or does it come naturally to you?

---------- Post added 2013-05-07 at 06:14 AM ----------

P.S. I still would like to see more votes for the first option in that poll (even non-Americans should choose it). Not joking either.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    Are you willfully oblivious or does it come naturally to you?

---------- Post added 2013-05-07 at 06:14 AM ----------

P.S. I still would like to see more votes for the first option in that poll (even non-Americans should choose it). Not joking either.
    I voted the first just to see how the incredibly bias poll was going.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    I refuse to vote only because the person who made this thread is on my ignore list. Regardless of what people take out of context. Obama knows how to make a good speech.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I voted to take away more of my liberties, because that most certainly is what Obama wants. Right?

/s

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    I voted to take away more of my liberties, because that most certainly is what Obama wants. Right?

/s
    Obama's here to steal your liberty, your freedom, your guns, shit on your constitution, declare martial law, and enslave all of the USA in FEMA camps to... I dunno, I couldn't channel crazy that long.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

I interpreted it more as "Ya'll need to stop thinking the government is out to get you, and is intentionally screwing you over. The government and people need to see each other as allies, not enemies."

Not a bad thing to say, but I think he went to far by encouraging people to ignore the voices calling the government out on tyranny. Some of them are right.

But you wouldn't hear that from him, of course. "Yes, sometimes we royally screw over the little folks like you with our decisions, but rest assured we want to keep this country standing tall so you re-elect us."
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2013-05-07 at 06:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    You're taking one line out of context.
    First reply pretty much ends this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I refuse to vote only because the person who made this thread is on my ignore list. Regardless of what people take out of context. Obama knows how to make a good speech.
    Personally I think that the fact he's considered a great orator is a demonstration of how much of a lost art it is. One eyed man in the kingdom of the blind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Personally I think that the fact he's considered a great orator is a demonstration of how much of a lost art it is. One eyed man in the kingdom of the blind.
    I agree, I don't think Obama has a lot of finesse. He has had a few good speeches, though.

Clinton was a great orator. Wrote his own speeches, many of his finest speech moments were impromptu, with talking points never included in any draft of his actual speech. He had a good one on health care I remember watching as a kid.

I was like 5 at the time though and thought Bill Cosby was a genius, so I'm not sure if I'm qualified to rate presidential speeches from that era. Those pudding pop commercials...

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh my god, and America wonders why the world hates them. Obama is one of the best presidents the country has ever seen and all some people can do is improperly criticise him. He has an incredibly relevant point that the OP has just proved. THE GOVERNMENT IS YOUR FRIEND, NOT YOUR ENEMY is the point of what he is saying and all you can pull from it is he wants to take your freedom?

Some people need to pull their fingers out and realise that what he is saying is true and that Americans have this misplaced blame in the government for issues that are more constitutionally based. Issues like freedom of speech and the right to bear arms, and also more general issues that focus on person-based freedom and advancement. He is arguing that America needs to change from this selfish constitutional thought and start embracing national cohesiveness otherwise the country will go nowhere.

The poll is stupid and so is the basis for this thread. Its misguided, highly contextual, and bases its bias on a misinterpreted concept.
    "There is a savage beast in every man, and when you hand that man a sword or spear and send him forth to war, the beast stirs." - George R.R. Martin, A Storm of Swords

Deleted
    King Obama's speach is like saying: "Move along people, nothing to see here."