Quote Originally Posted by maniac2009 View Post
    Once Wildstar releases, it will bleed more subs.
    Between Wildstar, ESO, Guildwars2 China and Age of Wushu, Blizzard is going to have a rough year.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven?

WoW died with LK. Greed and stupidity killed it. All that remains since then is unskillfully embalmed corpse. No miracle it stinks more with every passing day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Galaddriel View Post
    Between Wildstar, ESO, Guildwars2 China and Age of Wushu, Blizzard is going to have a rough year.
    Neverwinter as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    gotta be honest.. that might be the case. There advertising for the game seems to carry a lot of weight to it, not just the races, combat system and art design, but things like player housing, you know, that thing wow players have been asking for years.. yeah, thats actually a perfect means to grabbing peoples attention.
    From what I hear, they're also former WoW devs?

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd love to see a game that has the same quality as WoW and plays well. Rift almost did it until their expansion destroyed the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    I'd love to see a game that has the same quality as WoW and plays well. Rift almost did it until their expansion destroyed the game.
    Quality is subjective.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conscious View Post
    Neverwinter as well.

From what I hear, they're also former WoW devs?
    /shrug. maybe.
    #boycottchina

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    The last breakdown on MMOdata has the West at just over 5 million and the East at just under 6.5 million, I think towards the end of Wrath the spilt became greater in favour of the East as total subs stagnated despite the launch of Wrath in China.
    Blizzard doesn't release exact numbers so you can't rely on 3rd party sites, ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    I.. never found rift compelling enough. The graphics were worse then anything in vanilla wow, backdrops were terrible, and enemies were to generic. Also, races weren't interesting enough to get into playing.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post
    Stop being an apologist.
    It's not ''The graphics needs to be this way only,otherwise millions can't play the game''.
    If this makes any sense.Then why does the pc gaming industry do the entire opposite?
    I don't see the game industry adapting their games to wooden pc's?All the companies want people to play their games right?
    Well maybe it doesn't make any sense,and the people who have decent pcs and the people who appreciate graphical quality in a game,technological progress,maybe those people make up quite a bit more in the costumer base then those legendary ''hordes'' of wooden pc users.
    What pc gaming industry you are speaking about? If you are speaking about single player games - they have much lower hardware requirements than MMOs given same graphical level, because you don't have hundreds of models spamming aoe all at same time on your screen with additional sync checks, which increases hardware requirements exponentially. And even with that there are enough threads on various forums about different unoptimzied pieces of "soft" which like to produce BSODs.

If you are about MMO gaming industry, I didn't really see much success from any modern MMO with flashy graphics. Lack of creativity is only one reason for this, other reason is hardware requirements. And it is not like we are dealing with economical crisis to look at PCs as expendables. There are many countries where one medium salary isn't enough to buy half-decent PC.
    Last edited by Ferocity; 2013-05-10 at 10:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post
    If you are about MMO gaming industry, I didn't really see much success from any modern MMO with flashy graphics. Lack of creativity is only one reason for this, other reason is hardware requirements.
    Just about every MMO released post WoW has sported better, or at least, technically higher end graphics.

Just about every MMO released post WoW has sported better, or at least, technically higher end graphics.
    I never said it wasn't like this. But how successful they were? And some are openly bad in this case. Same SWToR - it's loading screens are among first things you hear/learn about that game...
    Last edited by Ferocity; 2013-05-10 at 10:08 PM.

The other MMOs I've tried have failed to match WoW's responsiveness. Excessive resolution in the graphics is part of that.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    I never said it wasn't like this. But how successful they were? And some are blatantly bad in this case. Same SWToR - it's loading screens are among first things you hear/learn about that game...
    WoW wasn't a success because of it's graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The other MMOs I've tried have failed to match WoW's responsiveness. Excessive resolution in the graphics is part of that.
    My point exactly, it was the functionality of it all. Game-play at the expense of graphics. However that doesn't mean it's graphics don't blow.

But I'll suggest the snappiness of the engine WAS a big factor in its success. It just feels nice, and makes competitors feel like crap when you try them.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    But I'll suggest the snappiness of the engine WAS a big factor in its success. It just feels nice, and makes competitors feel like crap when you try them.
    Absolutely.

Saw you on the forums last night btw.

It's true! SWTOR had some breathtaking graphics, but it also made loading worlds a time-suck and resulted in lower FPS and occasional lag. There's something to be said for elegant simplicity, especially where gameplay can be impacted.

Deleted
    What pc gaming industry you are speaking about? If you are speaking about single player games - they have much lower hardware requirements than MMOs given same graphical level, because you don't have hundreds of models spamming aoe all at same time on your screen with additional sync checks, which increases hardware requirements exponentially. And even single player games - there are enough threads on various forums about unoptimzied pieces of "soft" which like to produce BSODs.

If you are about MMO gaming industry, I didn't really see much success from any modern MMO with flashy graphics. Lack of creativity is only one reason for this, other reason is hardware requirements. And it is not like we are dealing with economical crisis to look at PCs as expendables. There are many countries where one medium salary isn't enough to buy half-decent PC.
    Don't try to evade your own logic.Your logic applies to single players too.You said it's better to keep a game old and low quality to attract more players.What does the game being multiplayer or singleplayer have to do with it?
    Higher requirements?Don't generalize,there are a lot of pc games with much higher requirements then most mmo's.
    Yet the industry is moving forward and improving graphical quality,multiplayer or singleplayer,your logic doesn't apply to reality.
    Not even gonna question the truth of this claim but are you now even claiming that the failures of those mmo's is related to their graphical quality?

Deleted
    Graphics is least important part in MMO, I'd say even more - the better the "graphics", or, in other words, the higher hardware requirements, the less people will be playing your game, and the more expensive it will be to make expansions and content patches: it will require 5-10 minutes to quickly draw dungeon using only ASCII, will take around half-hour (granted you have assets) to make it in 1-layer 2D, and each next step increases amount of time (and money) to make some dungeon exponentially.

For many people it was deciding factor to not give same SWToR even a chance due to high reqs (and obscene loading screens). And WoW, tbh, already becomes overdemanding for many PCs, as it nearly doubles hardware requirements each expansion. I don't know in what mythical countries people leave, but in my country and from what I saw in others - PCs are not expendables, and people don't tend to upgrade them just for 1-2 products.

In other words - update graphic engine to "modern levels", and WoW will lose several millions subs more.
    If u believe this then why did u say that Wow looks equally as good on Ultra settings than all other current MMOs out there?

Backtracking is still backtracking...

Indeed, because it was successful from all sides. What was it's main competitors at time of release? EverQuest I and II.

EverQuest I it is like doing WoW heroic mode times eleven all the time (not in raids only) - it is not the best analogy but so you could understand. And it greatly suffered from loading screen and fps issues (especially after Luclin or what was that expansion), even though it has much inferior graphics to WoW - loading screen could take up several minutes, while in WoW it's near instant. Corpse run could become a pure torture, as you often had to pass through multiple loading screens to get to your corpse...

EverQuest II? It was like WoW, but it had so high hardware demands, so it wasn't successful at all, and people only really started to check on it several years later.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post
    I must say that Wildstar is the one sneaking up and the back which is surprising everyone... i only looked into this the other week and the trailers look brilliant! lol

Obviously very early days to make any judgement on the game itself but im keeping an eye on it nonetheless

U also forgot Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen r coming out next year. And ofc the biggie - Elder Scrolls Online

---------- Post added 2013-05-10 at 09:27 PM ----------

I think everyone who reads this will lol hard

Ru seriously telling us that Wow graphics designed on 2004 PC technology r better than any MMO graphics released recently based on modern pc tech?

HINT: the entire Wow engine is from 2004 and CANNOT be rewritten unless they re-write and release a completely new game. The devs r stuck using a very old graphics engine to generate their graphics.
    The WoW engine was developed by Blizzard and is modified over time. Each expansion and sometimes patches adds new tech to the engine. Weather effects, sunshafts, shadows, etc. These are all signs of a modern engine.

The minimum system requirements go *up* every expansion. Why would this happen if the engine is not being improved? This is also the minimum. If you turn everything up it starts to look really good. Once the player models are updated everything will be in sync.

Show me a few MMO's that have better graphics, perform at a high level with them turned up and can have 100 players on the screen with no lag? Rift? FPS drops to 25 because the engine is garbage? SWTOR? Same thing and there weren't even high resolution textures available before I quit. Tera? Nothing but complaints about crappy FPS on good computers.