Quote Originally Posted by LazyJones View Post
    It's a perfectly valid argument. It's just not the ONLY factor.
    You're right, it's definitely a factor. I don't care how good any game is or what they add to it, it eventually loses the new game smell. I'd ballpark 5-6 years is about the mark I'd peg most MMOs to hit their peak and start declining as other games come out with a fresh world to excite players.

It doesn't mean Blizzard has to accept the inevitable, of course they can still strengthen the game, but I'd be willing to wager you won't find an MMO that maintains players in its second 5 years as it did in the first 5 years, regardless of which MMO and its player base size.

Honestly, TBC and Wrath I wouldn't say the game was old. They were the first two expansions. We're now at four expansions and heading towards the second half of this one with a fifth's announcement on the horizon. Yes, the game is getting old.

There's also more competition than ever now and the F2P model is definitely growing, allowing players freedom to hop from game to game without having to stick to any of them.

But even moreso, it's an aging game in a rapidly changing market and this specific genre is definitely in flux right now.

Occulus Rift compatible WoW incoming?
    Last edited by Faroth; 2013-05-09 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seefer View Post
    Based off the server populations, I would wager most of the subs are not north american/eu so for them to keep losing subs in the Asian market (if that is honestly where they are all bleeding from) then it's kind of a big loss.
    its the opposite. a loss like this in na or eu would be a huge loss in revenue, not nearly as much in asia
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

MoP is a bigger failure than Cataclysm.

Dailies, no catch up dungeons, long grinds, hard normal raiding, not amazing lore, all things that hurted WoW deeply.

i think if wow lowered the subscription price to around 10$ they might see a bigger influx of na and eu players
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yjmark View Post
    So you think GC is lying when he said a majority of the sub losses were from Asia? Interesting claim since you have 0 proof.
    And u have 0 proof that is IS ONLY ASIA!!! lmao

Jees if u guys continue to beleive everything their staff say then ur more stupid than we first thought.

The same GC has announced plenty of rubbish which has been proven to be inaccurate so why is his opinion its Asia only correct?

Like i said, go check out all those dead realms EU and US. Ru telling me EU and US has the same subs it had back in cata?

Quote Originally Posted by Conscious View Post
    Doesn't matter where they're from at this point.
    How come? Different regions generally drive different marketing strategies due to many factors. Wouldn't it make sense to try and understand why one region saw a huge loss relative to another regoin?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    yes please tell us of all the other mmos that ever competed at such a grand scale to wow in china, please tell us how lol and age of wushu have been around since 2005 and hes just pullign things out of thin air.

they specifically state that the losses happening in china are mainly due to free to play games and mmos, aka lol and age of wushu are taking their moniez
    It doesn't matter.

Even if only 100k of those losses (unlikely) come from NA, and another 200k from EU, that's still 13.5 million a quarter and 54 million a year - gone.

They've even said that they expect losses to continue to pile, so one can assume that there's already even more losses.

How come? Different regions generally drive different marketing strategies due to many factors. Wouldn't it make sense to try and understand why one region saw a huge loss relative to another regoin?
    We're all still playing the same game. So any game-play adjustments to compensate for the lost demographic will affect everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Endemonadia View Post

Jees if u guys continue to beleive everything their staff say then ur more stupid than we first thought.

The same GC has announced plenty of rubbish which has been proven to be inaccurate so why is his opinion its Asia only correct?

Like i said, go check out all those dead realms EU and US. Ru telling me EU and US has the same subs it had back in cata?
    this wasnt some q&a for some convention or an interview for some gaming website, it was a conference call for their investors, you cant lie to your investors, thats illegal

That's not what GC said.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

You are the one who made the claims. I didn't make any. Sorry to disappoint, but burden of proof is on your shoulders when you start to call people liars. If you can't figure it out, than maybe you are more stupid than you think

Quote Originally Posted by Crashdummy View Post
    MoP is a bigger failure than Cataclysm.

Dailies, no catch up dungeons, long grinds, hard normal raiding, not amazing lore, all things that hurted WoW deeply.
    I will, at least, heavily disagree with you on the lore. MoP's story and lore have been quite enjoyable to me and I have seen a lot who have thoroughly enjoyed it.

I still feel it's better than Cataclysm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Me too I guess?

Quite frankly I think 1.3 million surprised most of us. Pancaspe probably deleted his account.
    What surprises me is that a 9 year old MMO still has 8.3 subscribers.

We're all still playing the same game. So any game-play adjustments to compensate for the lost demographic will affect everyone.
    But we don't all have the same expectations. Adjustments will affect everyone, and they will have to look at world wide implications. However, determining where they are really lacking can be better identified by focusing on where the biggest issue is occurring.

Basic probelm solving. You focus on where the biggest issue is occurring to do your root cause analysis. When you get to the corrective action phase, that is when you start taking into account toal impact of any changes you are proposing.

I'm not syaing they should ignore everyone else. I'm just saying that they will need to focus more closely on what happened with the largest drop if they want to figure it out quickly.

It doesn't matter.

Even if only 100k of those losses (unlikely) come from NA, and another 200k from EU, that's still 13.5 million a quarter and 54 million a year - gone.

They've even said that they expect losses to continue to pile, so one can assume that there's already even more losses.

theyve said that north american and eu subscribers are mostly stable but that people are more likely to unsubscribe inbetween patches. so their losses in na and eu are less about players quiting and more about how to keep them engaged and subscribed and finding new ways to push out new content.

as far as we can see the place where they are seeing substantial permanent losses is in china which makes them alot less money and no we are not playing the same game as them, there are many things different between the netease version of wow and the blizzard version

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    What surprises me is that a 9 year old MMO still has 8.3 subscribers.
    I've been hearing that since the beginning of Cataclysm.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    theyve said that north american and eu subscribers are mostly stable but that people are more likely to unsubscribe inbetween patches. so their losses in na and eu are less about players quiting and more about how to keep them engaged and subscribed and finding new ways to push out new content.

as far as we can see the place where they are seeing substantial permanent losses is in china which makes them alot less money and no we are not playing the same game as them, there are many things different between the netease version of wow and the blizzard version

Again, any changes to game-play will affect everyone. So they're liable to tip the scale towards either hurting their NA/EU markets with Asian oriented changes to attempt to recoup, or they'll hurt (at this point probably destroy) the remainder of their Asian audience if they keep things the game.

It's sadly a loss/loss.

Deleted
    You are the one who made the claims. I didn't make any. Sorry to disappoint, but burden of proof is on your shoulders when you start to call people liars. If you can't figure it out, than maybe you are more stupid than you think
    My proof is the lareg increase in dead and lowpop realms EU and US. There are alot more now than there were pre-MoP.

I seem to remember that the large subs drop in Cata was also 'officially' blamed on Asia...

If u think the only reason for the massive drop is Subs is Asia then ur naive.

not to mention the culture of china is very different from the culture in na and eu, i doubt most chinese players play for the same reasons we do

Deleted
    I always wonder what they precisely mean when they say most sub losses occurred in Asia.

Does it really mean the bigger part of the decline was caused by Asian sub losses?
    Or does it just mean what it says? Where most subs have been lost.

When 1.000.000 Asian and 700.000 Western accounts turn inactive, but 400.000 Asians start the game or resubscribe again, you can still say most subs where lost in Asia in one sense, end up with a 1.3 Million subscriber drop in another, but really the Western side was hit harder. Just an example. But you get the point?

Does it consider resubscribing and new player? Did they ever got into detail over this? Or was it just a marketing twist all along?

My proof is the lareg increase in dead and lowpop realms EU and US. There are alot more now than there were pre-MoP.

I seem to remember that the large subs drop in Cata was also 'officially' blamed on Asia...

If u think the only reason for the massive drop is Subs is Asia then ur naive.
    again, it is illegal to lie to your investors, if i own a company and tell my investors something that isnt true i could get in big trouble

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conscience View Post
    I always wonder what they precisely mean when they say most sub losses occurred in Asia.

Does it really mean the bigger part of the decline was caused by Asian sub losses?
    Or does it just mean what it says? Where most subs have been lost.

When 1.000.000 Asian and 700.000 Western accounts turn inactive, but 400.000 Asians start the game or resubscribe again,
    you can still say most subs where lost in Asia in one sense, end up with a 1.3 Million subscriber drop in another, but really the Western side was hit harder.
    Just an example. But you get the point?

Does it consider resubscribing and new player? Or was it just a marketing twist all along?
    Nice name (:

I think any loss, despite theater, is too much. Because last time I've checked the Asian market is all but nonexistant for this game. With server mergers, closures, etc. taking hold over there, and two expansions of them being the majority of losses, I don't know how long that market will exist for this game tbqh.