Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Windows 7 or Windows 8

Hey guys 'n girls.

I finally have the money to build a new computer, It's gonna be a gameing pc to be precise. My current one is nearly 4 1/2 years old and still runs with Windows Vista (yes I know it's awful :P).
    I have all parts for it on my list, but I struggle with the os. I'm really unsure if I should use Windows 7, or Windows 8. I know that Win7 is very nice and mostly have great reviews, but I also heard good things about Win8. Some people I know that use Windows 8 told me that it runs nice and stable and they have no problems with it, and the new sureface isn't really a problem. But on the other side, some told me that it is awful as Vista and that I should get Win7.
    Same in different Forums, 50% of the ppl are pro Win8 and 50% are totaly against it...

I would be really glad if you have some suggestions which Windows I should buy, because that is the last point in my list.

In before thanks

Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I like Windows 8, cheap ($15), uses less resources, and boots up fast.

Cons I can think of is that its obviously designed for a tablet and no start menu.

Vista was only bad due to numerous issues with memory usage and overall performance. Windows 8 is more refined in performance and Windows 7, but in games that should only appear as a mere 1-3 FPS boost at best.

At this time, it would be better to go with Windows 8, simply because it's newer and runs better.

Windows 8 improves on every aspect of previous editions.
    Dont like metro UI ? press the windows key
    You ABSOLUTELY need that start menu? win+x

While I find a couple minor things with the new ui slightly annoying it runs fine on all systems around here. I can't see any reason to not go with 8 unless you really dislike the ui. Personally I wouldn't take people who are absolutely against windows 8 too serious. You may disagree on the design decisions on the ui which is perfectly fine but there is nothing wrong with the rest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ave07 View Post
    I like Windows 8, cheap ($15), uses less resources, and boots up fast.

Cons I can think of is that its obviously designed for a tablet and no start menu.
    Here it costs nearly as much as Win7 now, a bit cheaper. It shouldn't be a big problem with the missing start menu, and if you really need it, I heard that there are apps for Win8 that brings the Win7 Deskop back.

Thank you all so far for the fast replys

Deleted
    Try get used to the new menu, I kinda like it. Need to learn it sooner or later anyway. I didn't use the start menu in Win7 that much anyway.

Just make sure you find out where some of the tools are. You might even need to google how to turn off your computer :P

Deleted
    I like windows 8 primarily for the speed increase over 7, there are no con's for what I use it for. All programs can be searched for very fast via the windows key and the interface will search for them in real time without having to finish any keywords.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like Win8 pretty nice, so far.

Get Windows 8 and one of the many hacks that bring back the start menu and you'll have a supercharged win 7.

10+ Year Old Account
    win 8 is lovely once you get past metro/ uac :S

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally love W8. I was skeptical at first, but I love new things so I bought it. Took a little to get used to no start menu, but now I don't think twice about it. Windows key takes you to desktop, Win+X pops up a window much like the start menu with different things to choose from. I notice quicker speeds (boot, etc). If you can't live without the start menu, download a program to replace it. Problem solved. Most of the Nay-sayers from the pre W8 time have vanished or have gotten W8 themselves. It's really all personal preference, I say go for W8
    4670k @ 4.4GHz - MSI Z87 G45 - Silverstone AR03 - Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770 OC - Antec 620W High Current Gamer

16GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz - Samsung 840 250GB - 1TB WD Blue - ASUS VG248QE @ 144Hz - Fractal Design Define R4 - Windows 10 64-Bit - Logitech G-Pro
    Razer Blackwidow Chroma - Steelseries QCK Heavy - Hyper X Cloud II

10+ Year Old Account
    personally i like win8, i like linux enough that i was thinking of fully switching, but i now run 8 on everything

the big thing to keep in mind is that you will probably have a kneejerk hate reaction to the new menu, but after about 2 weeks you get used to it and find that 8 is faster to navigate and use than 7

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you very much, all of you.
    Sounds really really nice so far. I don't have a problem to get used to new things,if it is worth it, even if it will take sometime.

Was talking to someone the other day who bought a laptop with Win8 and hated it so much they took it back and bought something else with Win 7 installed. I haven't tried it personally but people I've talked to in the real world have not spoken well of it. I love Win 7 so no reason to change, best Windows ever.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

I never saw much of a point of Windows 7, it drew surprisingly little over Windows Vista.
    Windows 8 is, however, superior in every way apart from search from what I can tell.

15+ Year Old Account
    Playing the devil's advocate here, but I say go with windows 7 if you can. I played windows 8...it was very gimmicky for me. I can see how it can be good for tablets/touchscreens but I feel like it is not designed for desktops. It seems very hard to get anywhere, where before I could find things very easily. Maybe I did not have time to get 'used' to it but it did not feel right, and would have felt horrible on a desktop.

Yeah you might get a 5% performance bonus(if that much) but no point to it if you have to hassle through other programs to make windows somewhat easy to find programs to use.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Yeah you might get a 5% performance bonus(if that much)
    that doesn't really matter that much anymore, unless it is a drastic difference, performance should not be considered in choosing an OS

10+ Year Old Account
    Having run 95,98,me, xp, vista, 7 ultimate and now 8 pro in my lifetime (not to mention several version of ubuntu at times) I can say my first reaction to 8 was I wasn't very impressed. However having decided to stick it out for at least a month before I considered reverting I must say it is slowly growing on me like a cancer. Yes the whole metro ui thing is a bit gimicky and in your face when you first boot it up, yes it took me a couple of minutes to work out how to shut down the first time (I literally went in blind and a multi monitor setup meant I wasn't really noticing the menu on the edge of the screen at first) however having said that the boot times are stupidly fast and the task manager is amazing. Well worth the money in my opinion.
    Personal rig:
    • i5-3570k (4.2ghz) || CM hyper 212 evo || Asrock extreme 4 || Corsair (2 x 4gb 1600mhz) ram
    • Samsung 840 (120gb) || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb
    • Powercolor 7870xt || Silverstone strider 500w ||NZXT source 210

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you all again for the answers, it helped me.
    I think I'll at least try Win8, and if it doesn't fit for me, I can still use Win7.