Poll: Legacy Realms

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    1.12 & 2.4.3 & 3.3.5 Shuure! Wotlk only because in my opinion s7/8 was the best season in the game.
    Last edited by ebah; 2013-05-13 at 09:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    People would lose interest shortly after they discovered there were no new patches (ever,) classes were completely out of balance, and the servers had absolutely no contemporary upkeep.
    Yep, this. There would be huge hype and people would be shouting "oh yeah vanilla is the best, here we go", soon to discover Vanilla was unbalanced and nowhere near as good as it's made out to be. Not to mention the biggest factors of the community changing and it not being their first time playing the game which is a feeling you can't replicate and one that influences people's opinion too much. Once you're geared up from AQ/Nax, SWP, ICC w/e then you have nothing else to do, what's the point?

As much fun as I had in every iteration of WoW I will never ever play these again. I know every boss, every mechanic, every mob and every quest ever in WoW and it's boring now. No point in getting back. I'm looking forward to SoO. I dpn't want to raid Naxxramas Classic again.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubbl3 View Post
    As much fun as I had in every iteration of WoW I will never ever play these again. I know every boss, every mechanic, every mob and every quest ever in WoW and it's boring now. No point in getting back. I'm looking forward to SoO. I dpn't want to raid Naxxramas Classic again.
    i'd love naxx 40 back again, only so I can get corrupted ashbringer and ofc original tier 3 items with out BMAH. Thats why I wish they could re-implement level 60 world bosses that they removed, I would put Azuregos nightmare dragons + 40man naxx back into the game.

This would be the only thing to get me back to playing WoW again. Besides, what else are they going to do with all the left over realms when they finally merge servers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurust View Post
    I visualized playing it in my head and it was bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathane View Post
    I mean you have all the trademarks of one childish, ignorant, irresponsible, retarded.

@OP

I don't think we need specific realms for older content; I think a "simple" solution - as an earlier poster pointed out - would be to use the technology behind Challenge Mode to scale our toons and the older dungeons and raids to that they have a very similar feel to how they were before later nerfs/patches/expansions. I don't need the old talent trees, but I would love to be able to experience older content that I've missed.

Completion of these could result in rewards such as:

(Normal dungeon) Achievement
    (Heroic dungeon) Achievement + other reward
    (Raid dungeon) Achievement + better reward

There's likely a little more that would need to be done, however. The gear and player stats would likely need to be "rescaled" so that there's a more linear gain as a toon gains levels; this in turn would make the "detuning" of Challenge Mode more linear. Blizzard could even go so far as to have a zonal effect, such that (for example) a toon would be capped at level 80 (with appropriate stats) when entering a self-contained zone such as Northrend.

I would certainly be interested in an appropriately-scaled Blackwing Lair or Ahn'Qiraj, even if it was only for fun and/or an achievement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Subscribe. I'll give a shoot to see a classic warcraft, as i don't play back then, and maybe play tbc again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    If they ever add old expansion realms then it's the day I quit.
    Do you take this stance with every other element they introduce to the game that you personally have no interest in?

It's funny how the other side of this coin is always "If you don't like it, don't use it! Why ruin things for other people?"

10+ Year Old Account
    I posted this a long time ago, still applies. Think arena realm/PTR with premades and gear to get you going. The servers would be limited to certain sections of time in WoW history.

"To be fair, you could do something with a limited timeframe. For example, start a character at 60 with dungeon set 1 (that might even be pushing it) and have MC, BWD and ZG available for a period of time. After an unspecified amount of time the realm goes down "for maintance," then returns some time later with only...say BWD, AQ20 and AQ40 available starting with a 60 in some sort of base level gear?

Basically like the arena realms with the limited time deal and starting gear. Pay an entry fee and a monthly fee to play on the realms?"

10+ Year Old Account
    It would be interesting to do. There is no way you could transfer an existing character to one, you would have to start from scratch. It's the only real way you can relive the older versions of the game. You can play on a vanilla realm. Once you're done with that, transfer over to the TBC realm. Then up to the Wrath realm, and so on.

Much of what I miss of the old Vanilla and TBC days was the populated world though. The only way this would work is if the realms had a solid number of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyptheria View Post
    @OP

I don't think we need specific realms for older content; I think a "simple" solution - as an earlier poster pointed out - would be to use the technology behind Challenge Mode to scale our toons and the older dungeons and raids to that they have a very similar feel to how they were before later nerfs/patches/expansions. I don't need the old talent trees, but I would love to be able to experience older content that I've missed.

Completion of these could result in rewards such as:

(Normal dungeon) Achievement
    (Heroic dungeon) Achievement + other reward
    (Raid dungeon) Achievement + better reward

There's likely a little more that would need to be done, however. The gear and player stats would likely need to be "rescaled" so that there's a more linear gain as a toon gains levels; this in turn would make the "detuning" of Challenge Mode more linear. Blizzard could even go so far as to have a zonal effect, such that (for example) a toon would be capped at level 80 (with appropriate stats) when entering a self-contained zone such as Northrend.

I would certainly be interested in an appropriately-scaled Blackwing Lair or Ahn'Qiraj, even if it was only for fun and/or an achievement.
    The only way you can really get the proper feel for the old stuff is if the talents and abilities were the same. When 2.0 launched a month or two before TBC, Naxx was trivialized by the new talents. Same goes for Sunwell with the launch of 3.0. As far as Vanilla content, the most notable change in abilities that trivialized it was that AOE tanking/DPS/Healing was added to every relevant class, along with ranged taunts and shorter cooldowns (shield wall used to be a 30 minute CD), better threat generation for tanks, better threat dropping for DPS. The big thing that defined Vanilla and TBC dungeon running was careful planning and crowd control.

I guess to put it simply: every class in the game got reworked and improved through each major version of the game while most dungeons were tuned for how character classes used to be when the dungeon came out.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd love a BC or Vanilla server. No LFR/LFD, no insta-BG queues, no CRZ.

10+ Year Old Account
    So more people would leave it alone than those who would subscribe to it. Guessing this is why Blizz has said no a hundred times to these types of requests.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    So more people would leave it alone than those who would subscribe to it. Guessing this is why Blizz has said no a hundred times to these types of requests.
    Yes. We see the same thing when it comes to really old video games. I have tons of games from the 1980's and 1990's that I played as a kid and I am full of great memories of those times. But when I pull out that tired old copy of Pools of Radiance or Castles II, or Caesar III, I realize why I don't play them any more. My memories are far nicer than the real thing. Many games have evolved so much in terms of gameplay, sound, and graphics that I no longer have that interest in playing them any more. The same would happen here. Oh, sure, you'd get the occasional person who truly wants to be in classic WoW but for the most part very few people would actually be interested and stick with it more than a month or so. Many would try it out to start (even I'd go look since I never got to experience classic), but they'd quickly grow as bored as they are now!

Everyone remember the year of ICC or 9 months of DS? Yeah. Imagine years of MC and BWL and ZG and AQ.

15+ Year Old Account
    *Just my two cents real quick. I played back then and i think no Legacy Realm can bring back those times. It wasn't how the game was and how it was played etc. it were the people and the times back then. Even on a Legacy BC realm i wouldn't have the same feeling like i traveled back in time or something. Its just plain simple: Those times are over and they are never coming back. Let those memories rest.
    Druid since Feb. 06

Because if a majority isn't participating in something in this game, it gets dropped. Which explains PvP RP servers, pet battles, challenge modes, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Because if a majority isn't participating in something in this game, it gets dropped. Which explains PvP RP servers, pet battles, challenge modes, etc.
    There is a difference between developing a new feature to see how it performs vs purposely going backwards.

?

4.05%+8.11%+3.6%+4.05%+9.01%+8.11%=36.93% of the voters said they want legacy servers back. Half of those are not subscribers. Seems hardly negligible to me.

As to what Darsithis said:

You don't see Pools of Radiance, Dungeon Master or Bard's Tale private servers. There are, however, hundreds of thousands of people who play legacy WoW (Vanilla+TBC+WOTLK) on private WoW servers around the world.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

Deleted
    There is no meaning in a MMORPG that does not get developed further. It's like "uh yeah now i'm done" and thats it.

Legacy realm would turn into ghost town few months after release... I'd like Blizz to add one legacy realm so that people could finally releaize that what they remember is nostalgia and would finally shut up about 'bringing back good wow' or whatever pink tainted glasses show them...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturmbringe View Post
    You don't see Pools of Radiance, Dungeon Master or Bard's Tale private servers. There are, however, hundreds of thousands of people who play legacy WoW (Vanilla+TBC+WOTLK) on private WoW servers around the world.
    Imagine what would happen if it was demanded by Blizzard that they start paying to do so on the "official" legacy servers...