Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

30 day squat challenge

I started with my 30 day squat challenge yesterday and as expected my legs hurt quite bad but i think i'm able to go on.
    I'm reading on the internet that when your body starts hurting you're supposed to take a rest and other sites say to just continue.
    So i wanted to ask what would be the best thing to do! The "rest day" on the challenge is in 2 days, should i just go on?

any advice?

thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Well what kind of hurting is it?

Actual pain, or workout pain as in a burning sensation etc?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiizper View Post
    Well what kind of hurting is it?

Actual pain, or workout pain as in a burning sensation etc?
    I would describe it as muscle ache no burning sensation though. Whenever i use those muscles like with walking or sitting down i feel it, when i sit still i don't feel anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    A burn is fine, soreness is fine, a little tightness is fine, but if you feel anything pulling, it's time to stop. If there's any kind of sharp pain, you should have stopped earlier.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Euphonious Monk View Post
    A burn is fine, soreness is fine, a little tightness is fine, but if you feel anything pulling, it's time to stop. If there's any kind of sharp pain, you should have stopped earlier.
    Soreness is the best way to describe it, I suppose i can just continue then! thanks

Deleted
    It really comes down to your own judgement. If you feel like you are easily capable of doing more squats without hurting yourself you're fine. If you feel unsure about it just take a day off and see how you're feeling tomorrow. You can always work out on another area of your body if you are unsure!

What is the point in this challenge?
    OT: at first you will be sore. You are doing something your body isn't used to. As you do it more often the soreness will lessen and it wont hurt as much. Just be sure to drink plenty of water.

Deleted
    You sound like you never had a soreness before, which makes me believe you never really worked out before.
    Anyway, if you are only using your body weight when squatting ( which I assume you do given the high number of reps ) I would suggest you cut those reps in half. This workout routine looks more like an advance-intermediate one, not really suited for a beginner.
    Also, keep in mind that legs are a major muscle group, and when you have soreness in that particular area, all hell is going down .

Keep in mind, take it easy, increase the volume gradually suited to your tolerance, and mix in some other workout for a balance routine, and in the end, a balance muscle structure.

ps: use jetfit.pro for android ( tons of workout routines and exercises ), and bodybuilding.com on the women ( I assume you are one ) fitness section.

GL

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Liliara View Post
    I started with my 30 day squat challenge yesterday and as expected my legs hurt quite bad but i think i'm able to go on.
    I'm reading on the internet that when your body starts hurting you're supposed to take a rest and other sites say to just continue.
    So i wanted to ask what would be the best thing to do! The "rest day" on the challenge is in 2 days, should i just go on?

any advice?
    As mentioned before - Sore = Just go for it. If your knees start hurting, take a break.

Also I am curious, why so many rep and Squats with weight?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethox View Post
    You sound like you never had a soreness before, which makes me believe you never really worked out before.
    Anyway, if you are only using your body weight when squatting ( which I assume you do given the high number of reps ) I would suggest you cut those reps in half. This workout routine looks more like an advance-intermediate one, not really suited for a beginner.
    Also, keep in mind that legs are a major muscle group, and when you have soreness in that particular area, all hell is going down .

Keep in mind, take it easy, increase the volume gradually suited to your tolerance, and mix in some other workout for a balance routine, and in the end, a balance muscle structure.

ps: use jetfit.pro for android ( tons of workout routines and exercises ), and bodybuilding.com on the women ( I assume you are one ) fitness section.

GL
    I haven't done squats before, I work out 5 times a week for an hour either jogging or on the hometrainer. And yes i only use my body weight

10+ Year Old Account
    Make sure your form is good and make sure it's not the wrong kind of pain. Keep your toes pointed out in the same directions as your knees when you go down, feet shoulder width or slightly wider apart, lower back arched and chest up at all times etc. If you feel it in your muscles, like an ache, it should be ok but if you feel it in your joints, you might need to stop. Either way, stretching will help if you want to push through the pain. Also, depending on your weight/fitness level, that seems like a crazy amount of reps if you're going all the way parallel. You can watch vids on youtube if you're not sure about form. "So you think you can squat" is a good one.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

You should never work out muscles that are sore or painful.

Muscles grow during the resting period (not during the workout period). If your muscles are sore then they're not yet ready for a new workout. You can reduce the soreness period by eating healthy and getting good sleep.

Deleted
    I haven't done squats before, I work out 5 times a week for an hour either jogging or on the hometrainer. And yes i only use my body weight
    Yea but that's cardio, not working out

I don't understand the purpose of doing 250 squats. I'd rather you progressively add weight and develop your muscles than shoot for a pointless number doing your body weight.

As others have said, make sure your form is good (have someone watch you) and that you're not injured. As long as you have good form and no injuries, you can do this if you want, even if you're sore.

That said, I've seen a number of these sorts of challenges, and I don't see the point. I guess they make people feel like they accomplished something, but an unsustainable single exercise workout is an exercise in futility.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Romeo83x View Post
    You should never work out muscles that are sore or painful.

Muscles grow during the resting period (not during the workout period). If your muscles are sore then they're not yet ready for a new workout. You can reduce the soreness period by eating healthy and getting good sleep.
    DOMS (soreness), is not associated with muscle damage. As long as you've had about 48 hours of rest your muscles are fully rested, regardless of how sore your muscles are.

I don't really see the point in this challenge, seems like an excuse to reach a pointless goal.

Body weight squats are a waste of time, but feel free to do them every day. Your body will adapt after a few days and you won't get sore any more. Just don't expect yourself to build any muscle from this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    As others have said, make sure your form is good (have someone watch you) and that you're not injured. As long as you have good form and no injuries, you can do this if you want, even if you're sore.

That said, I've seen a number of these sorts of challenges, and I don't see the point. I guess they make people feel like they accomplished something, but an unsustainable single exercise workout is an exercise in futility.
    I don't plan to stop when i reached day 30 though, I've read that this was a good way for beginners such as myself. When my body is used to it i'm going for the next step with weights.

If these are just free standing squats with no extra weights I wouldn't worry too much about actually hurting yourself. The rest periods are just there to let your muscles heal up some so the next time you work they strengthen faster. For shits and grins I went and busted out 50 after seeing this, the only issue I see is my dog thought I wanted to play and damn near tackled me.

---------- Post added 2013-05-13 at 12:04 AM ----------

I don't plan to stop when i reached day 30 though, I've read that this was a good way for beginners such as myself. When my body is used to it i'm going for the next step with weights.
    Not being from the US I doubt you know who he is, but Herschel Walker is about as in shape as you can get and most of his stuff is body weight only training. http://loseweightbuildmuscles.com/he...r-workout.html. As a teenager he would bang out 500 push ups each day when he woke up then before bed.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Deleted
    I've been doing this challenge for six days now. Mainly out of pure curiosity and partly because my ankle is injured so I can do very little exercise right now (I'll go mad if I don't do SOMETHING). I'm used to working out six times a week so I've had very little issues with muscle soreness so far and I'm not new to squats either so I know the form.

If you're not familiar with the form, watch videos on Youtube. Your thighs should be parallel to the ground, just think of sitting down on an imaginary bench or something.