Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What to look for in a Laptop?

Hello.

So I am buying my Mother a Laptop, nothing too perfect, just simple movie watching, and Facebook games and what not, all-tho I don't want to get a basically crap laptop that can't handle like say WoW on Medium / Low settings (even tho It won't be used for it)

What I am wondering is, what am I supposed to look for? Same thing as like a Desktop right? GPU, Ram and HDD space / speed? I heard that Upgrading a laptop is hard compared to a Desktop

Deleted
    Gpu: Intel graphics 3000
    cpu: intelcore i3
    ram: 4-8gb 1600 mhz ram
    hdd space: regular 500gb hardisk

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarym13 View Post
    just simple movie watching, and Facebook games and what not
    all-tho I don't want to get a basically crap laptop that can't handle like say WoW on Medium / Low settings (even tho It won't be used for it)
    These are two separate requirements. Why do you want it to be able to do something that it won't be doing?

It's like asking for a car with 4WD, knowing you'll never take it off road.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Not.. the best example, as 4wd has multiple uses when not off-road, like better grip/traction in the rain and snow...sorry :/

Anyway, a better example would be asking for a car with a VHS player when you use DVDs.
    Last edited by Killora; 2013-05-11 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    These are two separate requirements. Why do you want it to be able to do something that it won't be doing?

Simply to have a decent Laptop, I highly doubt she will ever want another one so minus well get a somewhat decent one to last for the next 5+ years

Also thanks all for the creative criticism.

Deleted
    Same as PC, just keep in mind that you can't upgrade it later, that's it. You could probably get away with ivy bridge i3, but the price difference between i3 and i5 is usually similar. If you're sure it will NEVER be used to play games, get intel graphics, gonna save you lots of money. But if you do plan to use it for games, even if rarely AND you do not enjoy submissive S&M, get a dedicated card. But that will cost extra, even for the low end ones.

Getting a net machine is easy and cheap, getting something that can run 2-3 year old games at decent frame rate at low at 720p is a way more expensive endeavor, so decide on what you want.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anything with 4+ GB of RAM, Ivy bridge i series and 500GB HDD.

---------- Post added 2013-05-11 at 10:50 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by myhv View Post
    Same as PC, just keep in mind that you can't upgrade it later, that's it. You could probably get away with ivy bridge i3, but the price difference between i3 and i5 is usually similar. If you're sure it will NEVER be used to play games, get intel graphics, gonna save you lots of money. But if you do plan to use it for games, even if rarely AND you do not enjoy submissive S&M, get a dedicated card. But that will cost extra, even for the low end ones.

Getting a net machine is easy and cheap, getting something that can run 2-3 year old games at decent frame rate at low at 720p is a way more expensive endeavor, so decide on what you want.
    Modern integrated GPU's run pretty much anything but graphical wonders like Crysis or Metro. Given the framerate might not be ideal..
    But it'll laugh at anything facebook is ever going to throw at it..
    Last edited by Evolixe; 2013-05-11 at 10:50 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Holo View Post
    Anything with 4+ GB of RAM, Ivy bridge i series and 500GB HDD.

---------- Post added 2013-05-11 at 10:50 AM ----------

Modern integrated GPU's run pretty much anything but graphical wonders like Crysis or Metro. Given the framerate might not be ideal..
    But it'll laugh at anything facebook is ever going to throw at it..
    Trust me, i'm stuck with integrated card right now, since my nvidia fried and I'm waiting for a replacement. It barely works for any games. Yeah, game dev tycoon works, but that's not very impressive game, graphics wise. Then again, if you do not mid 30 fps in most games, it's ok. Myself, I just get annoyed and frustrated when it goes below 60.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trust me, i'm stuck with integrated card right now, since my nvidia fried and I'm waiting for a replacement. It barely works for any games. Yeah, game dev tycoon works, but that's not very impressive game, graphics wise. Then again, if you do not mid 30 fps in most games, it's ok. Myself, I just get annoyed and frustrated when it goes below 60.
    Depends on what generation iGPU you're on. HD4000 can easly tackle anything but what i mentioned before. It was giving me plenty excess framerate in WoW.

Deleted
    I'm running an i5-3570. Wow is probably the only gave I have not tried, since we're taking a hiatus, but trust me, 1080p is a no go, even on lowest settings. Then again, my laptop from when I've just started uni could run wow, doesn't mean anyone is willing to play at 5 fps in 25 man. Heck, I can't even run dota 2 without wanting to claw my eyes out on 60% render scaling, And even then frame rate dip every now and then.

But all that is beside the point, which is what I'm trying to say: don't rely on intel graphics if you want to enjoy games, just don't. Yeah, facebook stuff will run, but my phone will do that as well, and it's an old desire s. But I don't consider that games. IT could probably even run stuff at mofunzone and freeonline games, which actually has some nice stuff, just be ready that some things will drop frames even there.

I just don't want to give OP any false hopes. Intel graphics are not for games. They are there to save money for people who don't play.

P.S. As a side note, I remember playing NFS most wanted on my aunt's laptop, about 4 years back, so as long as you stick to the games that are close to being a decade old, you're golden.

10+ Year Old Account
    I only play on 1080p. It ran wow at over 80fps everywhere but a 25man raid, which doesn't interest me anyway. And then it still did over 30.

Deleted
    I'm sorry, but I call bull shit. I'm running a rather meaty processor, way beyond OP will ever buy on a laptop and I get barely over 30 FPS in wow, all low, 720p and staring on the floor away from people. Heck, it can't even run nitronic rush on 30 fps, a freaken' student project game with almost no graphics. It can even barely run Game dev tycoon, a game about graphs and small circles, completely sprite based 2D, it can't even ran that on 30 fps without hiccups.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry, but I call bull shit. I'm running a rather meaty processor, way beyond OP will ever buy on a laptop and I get barely over 30 FPS in wow, all low, 720p and staring on the floor away from people. Heck, it can't even run nitronic rush on 30 fps, a freaken' student project game with almost no graphics. It can even barely run Game dev tycoon, a game about graphs and small circles, completely sprite based 2D, it can't even ran that on 30 fps without hiccups.
    There is nothing to disagree on, I'm stating facts. It might be worth noting that the HD4000 is more than twice as strong as it's predecessor HD3000 on the sandy bridge series.

There is nothing to disagree on, I'm stating facts. It might be worth noting that the HD4000 is more than twice as strong as it's predecessor HD3000 on the sandy bridge series.
    More like 50% or lower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stalkerzzzz View Post
    More like 50% or lower.
    Depends on the game.

Deleted
    If you want the laptop to last a good while it may be worthwhile to get one that can easily be upgraded with an ssd down the line. They are fairly costly at the moment (compared to hdd's at least) but in 2 years you can likely throw in a decently sized ssd for a lot less.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by timelord View Post
    If you want the laptop to last a good while it may be worthwhile to get one that can easily be upgraded with an ssd down the line. They are fairly costly at the moment (compared to hdd's at least) but in 2 years you can likely throw in a decently sized ssd for a lot less.
    Every mobile HDD compartment could hold an SSD just as well.

I would also say that a 15" is good budget, and anything above 17" (So one could actually play on it propor, trough even 19" inch feels small for me now days) is gonna cost Trough if just for office work, 15-17 inch willl do.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Deleted
    Every mobile HDD compartment could hold an SSD just as well.
    But some are a real pain to tear apart and make the actual upgrade, nice to know before you buy the ssd that the laptop isn't a massive bother to open up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarym13 View Post
    Hello.

So I am buying my Mother a Laptop, nothing too perfect, just simple movie watching, and Facebook games and what not, all-tho I don't want to get a basically crap laptop that can't handle like say WoW on Medium / Low settings (even tho It won't be used for it)

What I am wondering is, what am I supposed to look for? Same thing as like a Desktop right? GPU, Ram and HDD space / speed? I heard that Upgrading a laptop is hard compared to a Desktop
    Portability and durability fit the casual laptop user. Something with a 13"-14" screen, Graphics don't really matter, storage doesn't matter (though an SSD will you get a more portable laptop), processor don't matter.

Just make sure you get something that is...:

1. Brand new.
    2. Lightweight.
    3. Smaller.
    Call me House.